Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:27:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Live Gigs - Past, Present & Future  (Read 12821 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: November 03, 2007, 09:50:40 PM »

I thought it might be interesting to chat about the live performances and bands we've been involved in, are currently working, or even ones we intend for the future.

So as I suggested it I guess I should be the first to reveal all Cheesy

My earliest public performance involvement was in the early 60s as a lad when my school's accordian band was invited to join in a multi-school performance at no less a venue than London's Festival Hall. This probably the largest audience I have even been in front of, and although i was only a small part of a 12 strong band I was terrified, but ecstatic too!

In the middle 60s I joined a local rock group as a part time keyboard player. I was part time for two reasons. The first was that the band had no money, and the keyboard was a demo model belonging to a music shop with an unusually kind-hearted owner, so was not available when it was being loaned out as a 'propper' demo. The second reason was that my keyboard skills weren't too good in those days, and I didn't have the drive to progress in R&R. However I always hung out with the band - I was their electrician!

When that all fizzled out, I became the resident Saturday pianist in a traditional English Pub. It wasn't exciting, mostly they wanted wartime songs, and provided I could start them off and keep them more-or-less on time and in key I was OK. During that time I never had to buy a beer, and also had at least a half full collection glass at the end of the evening.

In the middle 70s I joined up with two other guys and a girl doing a mixture of C&W and folk style music. I wasn't playing keyboard though. I was the rhythm guitarist! This was probably the most fun I had. We played mostly Pubs, and also some fairs and fetes. Sadly this came to a jarring halt when we lost our singer to a short but very savage illness.

I've not done any live work since then, and probably won't in the future, now I've got involved so deeply with my compositions and musica software and hardware.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:53:35 PM »

Interesting story.  I guess we must be about the same age and I have a similar tale to tell.
Started to learn guitar at the age of 13. By 14 or 15 was playing in local small-time bands, mainly Shadows tunes and such. Progressed quite well doing covers of Beatles, Kinks, all that sort of general pop stuff, then I got electrocuted at a gig where a live microphone completed the circuit through me and my guitar!!
While I was recovering in hospital a friend brought me some ‘rare’ records to listen to in my recuperation. John Lee Hooker and SonnyBoy Williamson made me ditch that white boy pop music and sucked me into the world of blues.

I stuck with that, playing in various duos and trios and running the best blues club in the north of England, where we hosted guest singers from around the world.
My biggest (small) claim to fame was as bass player with a band called The Bond when we were support group for Jimi Hendrix in 1967.

A short while after that I was tempted into the world of folk music. I took my acoustic bass guitar (at that time there were only two A/B players in the north-east, me and Phil Murray from Hedgehog Pie and Lack The Lad) and joined up with a band called Crooked Oak. They had a guitarist/singer and a whistle/mandolin player and I added extra guitar/mandolin/fiddle/dulcimer/cittern as well as bass. We had a good few years doing gigs and festivals with two successful seasons at Sidmouth.
In 1974 I met my (now) wife and gave up the band. After I left they eventually went on to make two albums, From Little Acorns and The Foot o’ Wor Stairs.
I continued to play guitar at home for my own amusement, teaching both daughters as the got old enough, until three years ago when my youngest daughter saw an advert for a penny-whistle class at the local college. She wouldn’t go by herself so I agreed to go too. This was the best thing I had done for years. It kick-started me back into music and I have since picked up again most of the things that I left behind all those years ago.
I’m very, very slowly getting back into musical shape, the biggest drawback now being the arthritis in the knuckles and fingers. It doesn’t help!

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 11:07:31 PM »

My history of live performances are a series of short-lived sporadic events with various people,so that being said-it's nothing worth writing a book about. Tongue

My first experience was in the latter part of high school in the the late 80's in a band competition,but my initial performance in the "battle of the bands" contest was just myself playing a Led Zeppelin song on my keyboard.

Since it was my first public performance,my nerves were so rattled,that I was trembling almost too much for me to play effectively.

The next time around in this contest was a group of friends of mine & since we all played keys-our entire performance was all done with keyboards,but our performance was shot to s**t when one of our vocalists was unable to keep time,key or a reasonable distance from the mic,so the whole performance was null in void. Roll Eyes

Beyond high school & throughout the 90's I did nothing but sing karaoke here & there & aside from that,I attempted to form & band & also audition for a couple of bands,but nothing panned out.

Then in the new millennium,I began trying my hand playing at a local coffee house,which was comprised of me & my Korg 01/W Pro X & a friend who played guitar...that went pretty well for the most part,but every now & then I would forget a lyrical line & because I was such a perfectionist-if I screwed up,I would stop & want to start over from the beginning-which was an embarrassment to my friend,as he always wanted to try & salvage the glitch & move on through the song.
I understood his reasoning & embarrassment over the ordeal,but we were playing a very small-time gig that we were not getting paid for & he became so disgusted & pissed off at me over it,that it ultimately ended that whole arrangement.

I have always primarily been a studio based musician-as I preferred it that way,& my friend was a seasoned live performer with much more experience,so we just ended up clashing together harshly.

It's entirely too difficult to form a band & I feel for the most part,that if you don't establish a friendship firsthand with someone-than the band thing is not likely to work out-as I see it.

A couple of close friends of mine that I've known for several years with whom I got along with very well musically-as we had alot in common-were ideal candidates for forming a band,but they neither had the discipline,nor the dedication & continuity to work & collaborate on a day-to-day,regular basis and neither of them could ever match & conform to my passion for creating music.

Ironically,they were the only two people that I had ever known that I had felt so passionate about collaborating with & yet,they both lacked the passion to commit themselves & take root into the idea of forming a band.

Since then I've been far too involved in keyboard workstation recording to care about going that route anymore.

Jan Hammer,Hans Zimmer & Howard Jones are all my keyboard idols & I fantasize about living their lifestyles & I've often thought about doing commercial jingles,as well as film & tv scores.

I am however,reasonably content with just being a hobbyist. Smiley

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:17:30 PM »

Folderol & OffTheWall,

You both have clearly had a much more interesting ride in your musical lifestyles historically,as my stories are pale in comparison & my live stuff never got me laid or married. Grin

Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »

Just as an afterthought.
Since '74 the only live gig that I've played was actually the 'final assessment' for our penny-whistle course.
As the title of the course was Community Performance we all had to perform in public with two solo's and a group session.  It was complete MAGIC being up on stage after all those years. I loved it.  Grin
Here are a couple of photos from it.

* gig.jpg (477.4 KB, 1093x1606 - viewed 519 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 11:35:49 PM »

A very earthy,rustic venue!A very charming place-that must have been a fun gig,to say the least! Cool

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 09:37:56 AM »

Many years ago ( in the 80's ) I start playing bass and I was part of local bands (2) playing R&B, and that was my start, later I joined a very ambitious project, a weird kind of theatral rock band with funny lyrics (a zappa-inspired thing although we lacked the technical skill, but we keep the humoristical side).
In the early 90's I got involved into small live-gigs as sound technician and I worked part-time in a couple of studios as assistant. I give up playing live very early (I believe it was '88)
Not exactly a long and rewarding career  Grin

Cheers
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »

The best gig is always the next one.  Cheesy
 I thought I'd show you what our live gigs are like. This is a short video clip from a benefit show we did for the BlueWater Handicapped Assoc. about a year and a half ago. (explains the presence of the children) Went well, made about 1500 dollars for them.
 It's still 10 meg...about 1/2 a song.
 I'm the guy on the left, with the black strat, that disappears off camera to do the backups.
 We have the whole show on DVD, but I figured this was enough punishment for one sitting..
simpletonguru- 'So Weird' (live)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:56:16 PM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »

Bob,

Nice groove happening there...but the only image I could really make out,was what looks like a Hartke bass amp. Grin

The only videos that I have of my performances,is some Karoake I did in a few different bars over the years...of which I will never leak out to anyone. Tongue Grin

Thom

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 01:38:07 PM »

Yep, that's a Hartke.

It was shot at 640X480, but I converted it to 1/2 that size to keep the file size managable. I figgered 10 meg was still plenty big for 1/2 a song. Original filesize for the snippet was 67 meg.

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 04:56:16 PM »

benefit show we did for the BlueWater Handicapped Assoc. Went well, made about 1500 dollars for them.

Cool clip, Bob! I'm especially impressed with the fact its a benefit!!

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 05:26:10 PM »

Offthewall...support for Jimi? Very Cool

Played in bands from age 12 (1965) to 22. That's when I sold all my equipment and went to school. Always played keyboard, first with a vox, then with a L101 and then finally my beloved C3 (I still miss it) along with a Rhodes and an early synth. My first "band" exposure was at age 12 in a Mexican band...polkas, waltzes, and cumbias (not spelled right). And then three bands after that; Chicago styled, then hard rock, then country rock. All were successfull at the B- level Grin Probably played a few hundred gigs. Opened for several good groups, but never a Jimi level !!

A couple years ago, a guitar player (and good friend) I played with in the hard rock band called and asked if I would sit in on his 50th BD party....he's still gigging steadily. At first I was very hesitent figuring I had lost most all what I once had and didn't want to be disappointed. But couldn't say no. So I went to a couple practices and it turns out I can still play and still love it. So I bought a bunch of instruments and computer stuff, started taking piano lessons with my son, started taking guitar lessons about six months ago, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. 

Keep em coming guys, I really enjoy hearing these stories!!!!

Edit; I forgot the future...I'll do the occasional sit-in, which suits me fine.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 05:29:03 PM by Fred S » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »

Wow! There's some great stuff here guys Grin

-> James,
I'm seriously jealous, you got to be in a support band for 'the man' Cool
That location looks like it would have a great atmosphere.

-> Thom.
Don't disparage yourself. It seems to me you've actually have quite a variety of experiences. I'm a great believer in the idea that our creativity today is greatly mouded by where we were and what we did in the past.

-> L.R.
well I guess someone had to be the late kid Cheesy
Doing any sort of technical support, gives you a whole new dimension doesn't it?

-> rharv
Got to agree this is a good clip, especially considering the cause.

-> Fred
It looks like you are the most active of us currently. Good on you Cool
Funny how a lot of us seem to take a break then come back to it isn't it?

It seems we all have extremely varied ways of getting where we are now.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
NeoN

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »

That's really cool Guys!;)
rharv -> I'm afraid the link's not working!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:39:30 PM by NeoN » Logged
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:08:59 PM »

I moved the clip to here-

http://www.masteringmatters.com/Assets/simpletonLive.wmv

sorry, had to relocate it.