Kara-Moon Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:06:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Camelion  (Read 7029 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: November 11, 2007, 12:20:48 AM »

Well after the comments in the contest reviews I did some more work on this tune. I extended it, to more than twice its original length and I also renamed it. On top of that I knocked it into better shape generally, changed the percussion a little and added sone choirs and a floaty synth near the end.

@Mark, I reduced the reverb ion the vibraphone arpeggios quite a lot.

@kara, I hope you will like the new lead instrument. It is much closer to a flute.

So now I give you "We Are Coming Home"

* We_Are_Coming_Home.mp3 (2200.13 KB - downloaded 340 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:46:58 AM »

Will,

The intro with the arpeggios sets the stage for a great holiday atmosphere & the chord progressions with the incoming harmonies are very pretty.

While I do think that the oboe-sounding lead is a nice choice,I feel though,that because this sound is a bit flat & dry sounding-as well as being played a bit choppy at certain times-it needs some polishing to blend better with everything else in the song.

Apart from that,it's arranged quite well with some very nice sounds & I enjoyed it quite a bit. Cool

Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »

Thanks very much for your comments Thom.

Part of the choppyness, is me, as a keyboard player, trying to emulate what a wind player would do. I will work on this to try and get natural sounding 'breath gaps' without the flow of the music breaking up.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »

I left my comment 'over there' too as, without a little bump, it will soon disappear off the first page.  Roll Eyes
Really atmospheric composition. Good harmonies and use of instrumentation.
With the title in mind, as I was listening I imagined it playing behind a TV advert where the family were out bustling around the shops in the winter weather and finally arriving home to a big roaring fire and a slap-up meal on the table(ad for some sort of food, etc)
Nice one.
 Wink
James

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »

Will,

If no-one mentioned oboe....to my ear, the melody instrument sound would not be construed as such  Cry

But - the good news - I think it is a perfect representation of a vintage Italian portable organ...was Farfisa the brand? Remember the ones that were finished in some whacked-out red plastic, and had a little fan that drove the reeds?

It's a great effect, even if unintentional, and I swear I'll corroborate your story if you want to tell folks you sweated for hours over your software to come up with that elusive "Farfisa vibe"... Wink

Oren.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:49:16 AM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 08:05:03 PM »

I left my comment 'over there' too as, without a little bump, it will soon disappear off the first page.  Roll Eyes
Really atmospheric composition. Good harmonies and use of instrumentation.
With the title in mind, as I was listening I imagined it playing behind a TV advert where the family were out bustling around the shops in the winter weather and finally arriving home to a big roaring fire and a slap-up meal on the table(ad for some sort of food, etc)
Nice one.
 Wink
James
Thanks for the 'bump' James. Tracks do disappear astonishingly fast over there don't they Sad

And again, thanks for your interpretation. I like it!

- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:16:48 PM »

Will,

If no-one mentioned oboe....to my ear, the melody instrument sound would not be construed as such  Cry

But - the good news - I think it is a perfect representation of a vintage Italian portable organ...was Farfisa the brand? Remember the ones that were finished in some whacked-out red plastic, and had a little fan that drove the reeds?

It's a great effect, even if unintentional, and I swear I'll corroborate your story if you want to tell folks you sweated for hours over your software to come up with that elusive "Farfisa vibe"... Wink

Oren.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

It was originally supposed to be an Ocarina (as strange sort of ceramic whistle/flute for those who don't know) but kara and other didn't like it (I wasn't over pleased with it myself).

I then changed it for a flute, but that sounded too shrill against the other instruments, so I dropped it an octave. This put in rather in the overlap area of flute/oboe.

Thom picked up on Oboe, so I shrugged and accepted that.

Now you say Farfisa Shocked

I think I have to take a stand now, so it is defintitely a ocariflutobofisa Grin

However...
The important thing is that people like it, whatever instrument they hear!

- Will
TheBellows

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:05:53 PM »

Sounds nice, would fit very well in a game like Final Fantasy or Zelda  Smiley
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »

I don't like to listen to contest entries until I'm ready with my submission, because I could be influenced from the other tracks and ideas.
I like the sounds used here, they fit well together, and the parts are very well arranged
The atmosphere is really nice, almost fairytales, so I didn't bother to think of technical things

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: