Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:15:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alesis Home Theatre  (Read 4692 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 05, 2008, 04:33:57 AM »

Both of these products have been on the market for a while & I decided to upgrade my home theatre set up with a pair of Alesis M1 520's & a MultiMix 6 FX mixer.

The monitors are surprisingly crisp & punchy for thier size & price & they are very easy on the eyes as well. Smiley

The mixer is equally stunning for the price with clean sound & amazingly crisp effects-much better effects than my Peavey mixer,which was $130 dollars more than the Alesis mixer!!

Of course,I did not buy the Alesis mixer for the effects since it's for my home theatre set up,but I tried out the effects just for fun and I am shocked at the quality of the effects for a $100 mixer. Shocked Cheesy

Even though I used these products for a different purpose,they are definately worthy & very useful for a studio enviroment.

Thom

* Alesis Toys 001.jpg (1567.13 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 653 times.)

* Alesis Toys 002.jpg (1737.1 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 644 times.)

* Alesis Toys(rotated).JPG (2522.61 KB, 1728x2304 - viewed 585 times.)

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »

Those Alesis look like they use the same material as my nearfield monitors for the little woofer (M-Audio studiophile LX4).  It does give a nice full, surprisingly present sound.
How are you incorporating a mixer into your home theatre?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:25:24 PM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

Rharv,

Years ago,I used to own the M-Audio DX-4's,which are basically an active version of the LX-4 sattelites in the 2.1 system.The differenece between the two woofers of each brand appears to be different,in that the Alesis's woofer seems to be a thin,but solid piece of polypropylene,as supposed to the polypropylene-coated paper cone of the M-Audio woofer.

I veered away from M-Audio,as I feel that thier products are over priced for what you get.
Thier older desktop monitors had low wattage and mylar tweeters(which is basically using plastic from a plastic shopping bag or disposable cup,as this material is frail & super thin,which does not make for accurate sound reproduction).

Silk dome tweeters are pretty much the standard material of choice and that's what I usually look for in a budget monitor...I don't really know of any companies that still use mylar,aside from M-Audio.

As for my home theatre set up,I am not really into the whole 5.1 surround thing,as roughly half of all the movies out there are not recorded in 5.1 anyway.

With regard to much older movies that boast the 5.1 feature..well..if it was not recorded in 5.1,how can it be a true 5.1 surround?

That being said,I am just interested in a quadra-phonic stereo set up.
My Alesis monitors are connected to my main audio outputs of the mixer and my Samson monitors are connected to the control room outputs.

It's a very simple set up and it suits me just fine.

Thom

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »

Yep- the tweeters are mylar, but the little woofers are full polypropolene on the LX studiophile version. At least that's what the specs claim. Not cutting mine to find out! Probably why it's discontinued, and the DX4's are still being made.  I'm quite sure they are different creatures. LX handles 27 watts, while the DX is only 18.
 I just go by sound. I like 'em.
Glad you like those Alesis, too.

I use full JBL's for 5.1 system, with 100 per channel (500 + the subwoofers own 100 watt amp) Not the little packages they sell now. 3-way L&R, 2-way center and surrounds.
 It may not make a difference in the old-old movies, but the newer ones blow your sox off in real surround.   Even some of the older-ish movies, though recorded in stereo had a Pro-Logic signal encoded for movie theatres that gets incorporated when they get digitized. Any home theatre amp that boasts pro-logic can decode this to 5.1 during playback pretty accurately.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:58:23 PM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »

Shocked Wooow ! that's a very good setup for home-theater
I think there are many with a worse quality speakers for home studio...
one thing is for sure: you'll be happy with it

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: