Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:03:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux DAW - January 2008 roundup  (Read 25100 times)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »

The only thing you really need to watch out for when using the etch repositories is to make sure you don't upgrade the kernel with a non-RT one Embarrassed

Very true, good remark Will
I forget to mention that

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »

Those Etch repositories seem a step further than I want to go in keeping Linux up to date. I'll let Ubuntu decide how and when they want to integrate the new developments, and learn to use the applications within the framework they provide.
I realize now that 64Studio is a superior digital audio distribution, but I'm hoping Ubuntu will catch up once they've had some time to work with JACK and the various software packages. Over-all I'm very happy with the experience of working with digital audio in Linux, and the operating system seems efficient and very dependable  Smiley

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 08:34:43 AM »

I am going to have to bookmark this thread. 

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wyatt

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »

It would be interesting to discuss some upgrade strategies....

When should you upgrade and when not ?

An interesting question... At the moment I have a perfectly working system and it is by default not connected to the internet, network services are even shutdown on my system, i have to start them manually. I suppose I could freeze that system and use it for the next 5 years without updating ?
I actually see only one reason to make an update... that would be a new realtime kernel wich is again more optimised...

On the other hand, I prepared my setup and setup strategie Smiley
I have my laptop as testmachine. I can allways upgrade the laptop, test the new version and see what happens. After that I can decide to upgrade or not my production daw.

What are you opinions on that matter ?

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »

I think you've nailed this fairly well Kara,

My office machine is 'net facing so I usually check for upgrades every weekend. The DAW only gets occasional upgrades, and then usually for specific packages, like upgrading Rosegarden to V1.6 - a great improvement.

I also use the office machine as a test bed, knowing that if it should crash and burn I can use the DAW (as I had to do when recently when the PSU killed everything).

It's much harder for anyone who only has one machine, but that would be true whatever OS you use.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: