Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:48:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a mic...  (Read 13640 times)
Van Greco

note to self: return to sender

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »

A great overview VG, thank you for your input
Studio Projects B1 - This is generally regarded as one of the better entry level condensers. It's a solid mic for very little money. I have used one a decent amount and it is quite good on acoustic guitars and other acoustic strings. It's pretty neutral sounding to my ears and doesn't impart a lot of character. Because of that it would not be something I would reach for when tracking vocals, but I wouldn't consider it a great hindrance if it was all I had to use either.

Depends on the voice I think....
I use it to record the ladies vox and achieve pretty good result with it, together with the vtb pre-amp

k

Yes, I tried to get across that it really depends on the voice. Different mics sound good on different people. It also depends on the type of song that you're recording. I wasnt trying to say that it wouldnt work on vocals. I think that if you are willing to learn your tools then you could get good results from any of these mics. The reason that I said what I said about the B1 is that to me vocals were one of it's weaker suits. I thought it better on instruments. That's a personal opinion of course. Have you used it to record anything other than voice? How do you like it there?
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 06:24:17 PM »

You nailed it VG, it is most about knowing the tools you have.
When I bought it, i went to the shop with the lady and she tested it. I like what it does with here voice.

Here you can here a sample of a recording of here voice :
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1133.0;attach=906

I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Together with his tube pre-amp it does a fine job. Allso to record bass guitar where you can at a bit of ditorsion wich sounds good.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Van Greco

note to self: return to sender

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

It does sound good on her. I like the song too. French is such a pretty language. I'd never tried it on female vocals so it's good to hear an example of that. As I said, it is a pretty neutral sounding mic so that lends itself to being good for a wide variety of sources. I can see how this would be better for female vox than a brighter condenser like NT1A. If you dont want to spend alot of money and are only going to have one mic for many sources then the B1 is a good choice IMO. The CAD M179 is similar in sound  to me. You get pretty much what you put into it. The CAD is a little more versatile though because of the ability to vary the polar pattern so much.
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 07:23:56 PM »

I don't have a mic yet... so this discussion is very interresting info for me !

Moon
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: