Kara-Moon Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You Only Live Twice  (Read 7702 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 24, 2008, 02:45:13 AM »

Ever since I heard the version of this song via "The Lost Patrol"(a local New Jersey band),I was so taken with this song,that I wanted to do my own version of this cover.
In my opinion,The Lost Patrol's version is so much prettier,as the singer of this band sings it with so much more passion than Nancy Sinatra.

I wanted to sing in this song also,but it's very clearly meant for a woman's voice-so I declined not to do so,so as to not completely humiliate myself. Grin

Originally,I was in a debate,as to whether or not I should do this cover,since I am not a guitar player,but I went ahead with it anyway and I replicated the guitar sound as best as I was able.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did making it. Smiley

Thom

* You Only Live Twice(mp3).mp3 (2755.72 KB - downloaded 292 times.)

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:10:14 PM »

Thom, very good sounding guitars and the strings were great.

What’s your sound source for your strings?

Very good cover, super job - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:41 PM »

Sounds very fresh with those new sounds
Very inventive

Good one Thom

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:06:37 PM »

Mario,

It was all done on my Korg Triton Extreme keyboard...thanks for the kind words. Smiley

Kara,

I'll take your "inventive" comment as a really nice compliment....thanks. Cheesy

Thom

Daniel Pompougnac

There's a little wind, today...

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:42 PM »

The guitar playing and sounds are very good.  Smiley

Daniel

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »

Nice sounds and arrangement. Only thing I noticed is that there's no stereo width at all. It's  practically mono. Some panning would really make a difference.
The intro with the strings could use some reverb as well, I think.
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:10:01 PM »

Excellent remake, I like your arrangement
Well done  Smiley

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »

Nicely done.

I wonder if, as it doesn't have the vocal, it would be worth overlaying it as a very smooth soprano 'Ahh' choir.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 12:20:39 AM »

Daniel,

Thank you kindly for your comments. Smiley

Martin,

I find your interpretations of my production interesting;meaning that I feel that there is no lack of stereo width on my end and in fact,this arrangement is quite saturated with effects.

There is actually effects on everything but the bass line and I purposely did not want to go too heavy on the effects on certain tracks-because that was exactly the problem with the rendition of this song by "The Lost Patrol"-that I had made reference to in my original post.

Thier version was wonderful vocally and instrumentally,but they went absolutely crazy with the reverb and they drowned the song with reverb,by adding effects to each & every track,making it sound like they recorded the song live in a large bathroom.

I placed special emphasis on the guitar parts,by adding a tremendous amount of effects on those tracks.
In fact,the guitar riffs are a two track layer and each of these guitar tracks are heavily saturated with not only the reverb from my Korg,but also additional reverb from my onboard effects from my mixer.There is also a tremolo effect on the guitar tracks as well and also on the "vibraphone" sound in the beginning which is very noticeable.

I suppose that I could have added additional string tracks & maybe even a chorus effect,but I felt that I would have lost the clean,bright sound that I wanted.

Thanks for your comments & criticism is always welcomed & appreciated(even if I don't agree). Smiley

I feel as though I accomplished the broad,dreamy effect,by adding the appropriate amount of reverb where it was needed,while also preserving the distinct,clean sound that I strived for.

L.R.,

Thanks for your kind words. Smiley

Folderol,

I had contemplated that very idea,but in general,I am not a big fan of improvising vocal tracks with synth sounds,especially since this song is so much prettier with real vocals.
I'll send you the band's song via e-mail,so you can get a clear idea of what I mean. Cheesy

Thanks very much for all the input guys-much appreciated!

Cheers,

Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 11:08:19 PM »

Thanks

Singer sounds good.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »

Martin,

I find your interpretations of my production interesting;meaning that I feel that there is no lack of stereo width on my end and in fact,this arrangement is quite saturated with effects.

There is actually effects on everything but the bass line and I purposely did not want to go too heavy on the effects on certain tracks-because that was exactly the problem with the rendition of this song by "The Lost Patrol"-that I had made reference to in my original post.

Hey Tom. Im listened again tonight. (EU time)
I can hear there's lots of effects used, no problem I just felt the intro strings could use some more reverb, that's all.

I still feel however that you didn't make full use of panning the instruments left and right. Just my obsevation, no one else seems to be bothered about it, though. So don't mind me.  Grin 
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »

Yeah, cool, I've always liked this song  wOO
Very well done. Very enjoyable.
I agree with Martin, some more stereo width may help a bit and make some of the sounds less 'harsch', mainly higher strings and the guitar theme. Do you use compression here as it seems ?

Thanks!

mag

Frenchy but chic
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: