Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:53:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who do we pay, and how much?  (Read 5686 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: February 27, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »

Now the dust has settled and I've made a selection of open-source software that works together effectively in a digital audio workstation, how do we go about supporting the developers who create and maintain these excellent tools?

A disturbing feature of the open-source community is the inclination to keep on hand a vast array of software tools, seldom learn to use any of them to their fullest potential, and avoid the topic of reimbursing the authors of all this software for their efforts.

I owe a debt of gratitude (and some cold hard cash Grin) to the developers of Audacity. Although it looks like I may not need it in my Ubuntu Studio DAW, it has been a principal tool in crafting my sound over the last three years. In Windows, it (along with the LADSPA plugins) is my audio mastering application.
It is time to start giving back to these committed individuals so they can continue their excellent work - what would be an appropriate amount in this case?

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »

If, when, how much and to who you donate is a completly personnal matter I think. It depends on your philosphy and how much you can afford.
But if you want to have an idea of donation schemes, one of the most advanced is Ardour.
The developper put a monthy donation scheme in place to pay him and keep the developpement going. Have a look at : http://ardour.org/
As you can see at the right side of the page, there are two possibilities, monthly subscription or simple donations.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »

As Kara says, this has to be a personal decision.

I simply see what I can afford from time to time, and proportion it across the software I find most useful.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »

It looks like the Ardour project people think that $120.00 per year would be appropriate. It is the most useful of the six major applications that I see as components of my Linux DAW. According to the amount of use I predict each application will get, $400.00 per year, distributed among the various projects, would be about right.

Very reasonable, considering the kind of performance and support you get from a Linux developer.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: