Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:21:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - computer dummy just wants to jam  (Read 41693 times)
jon

« on: February 29, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »

i tried downloading the mma songs and have them on my desktop - im using ubuntu gutsy - i can open them and look at them but i cant play them.  Sad most of the songs i want to play are there, jazz standards and such.  but what am i missing? i want to listen. HELP! Huh
jon
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:14:40 AM »

The songs in the archive are in MMA format ... that is a text "language" which the program MMA understands. So:

1. Download and install the mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz package,

2. process the songs you want to convert to MIDI with the command (on the command line):
          mma somesong
    This will produce the file somesong.mid

3. Play the MIDI file with something like kmid or timidity.

If you have a keyboard synth connected to your computer the songs will sound much better than using timidity.

Shout if problems; post if you have successes!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
jon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:43 AM »

hey thanks for the quick reply.  pardon my dumb questions  but how do i install mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz Huh  i tried last nite to open the pdf file but was unable to - i thot "why ask dumb questions when they have already thotfully provided me with everything i need?"  but altho ubuntu gutsy opens ALL pdf files (even those that winduds xp couldnt) i couldnt get this one to open.  i did however do something (what? dunno, remember im a computer dummy - {its really amazing that i could install and use [the first time] ubuntu gutsy}) and saw the text lines and found i could modify them - altho i didnt - remember i just want to jam!  and i promise to use the last purple guy when i have my first jam using mma, and yes i have an old synth - an ensonic vfx sd - altho most of the sounds are REAL cheeeeesy (does anybody else hate synth generated sounds - imho most are real hard to listen to - altho i have heard some korg and kurtzweil piano sounds that are real fine.....)  but my computer dummy question is how do i hook up my synth to my computer? i have a fairly new (1 year old or is it now two, time flies when youre having fun....) computer an hp compaq or whatever amd 3400  512something and 80gig something else, so i think i have most of the nobs and whistles for it to work, but i still have to run a cord to the other side of the room - what do i get and where do i plug it in?   Embarrassed  i dont see anything that remotely resembles what i have on my synth - which is a standard midi plug thingie that i used to use when i plugged in my midi footpedal board to my synth so i could play chords (?) on my synth with my feet (long long ago and far far away....)  but now im just a sax and flute guy trying to jam some jazz standards with an eband.  Grin
jon
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 02:12:56 AM »

Well, the only dumb questions are those which aren't asked.

A bit more of a basic install:

1. Open a terminal. I think in Ubuntu you hit your main menu button, go to System and <terminal>. If you can't get this ask again and I'll fire up ubuntu and and double check.

You should now have a nice little terminal with a prompt just waiting for your commands.

Let's make sure you have python installed. Typing:

python --version

should print something like:

Python 2.5.1

So long as it is 2.4.x or more, you're okay. If you get something like "can't find" ... then use synaptic or adept to install ... this is getting beyond the "how to install mma" ...

2. I hope you noted where you are saving downloads. But, for now we'll assume that your terminal has opened in the same directory. Check by typing "ls <enter>". Note, no quotes or <>s. You should get a listing of files, one of which should be mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz. If not then go to 2a, otherwise goto 3.

2a. If you don't see the file, you'll have to search some directories. I _think_ the default behaviour is to save files in the directory "Desktop", so try changing to that directory with the command "cd Desktop <enter>". Note the upper/lower case letters in Desktop. Do another "ls". If not there, keep "cd"ing to other directories.

3. Now, assuming that you see the file mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz in your directory issue the command:

tar xzf mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz <enter>

This will unpack the files in the distribution.

4. Now, move to the mma distribution you just created:

cd mma-bin-1.3 <enter>

5. Now, install it:

sudo ./cp-install <enter>

note the "./" in the filename. It is needed. You will now have mma installed! Simple?

Note, the html docs are also installed. Here's an easy way to make a bookmark for your browser so you can find the docs. Assuming that you are using firefox (still in the terminal program) type:

firefox /usr/local/share/mma/docs/html/mma.html

The main mma doc page should appear in your firefox. Now, I suggest you bookmark that page.

To play midi files though your synth you'll need a few things:

1. A midi capable synth. Sounds like you have that. There should be 2 5pin plugs on the back marked midi-in and midi-out.

2. An interface from the computer. Many sound cards have a midi out/in. Many don't. I use a little USB device which works well. It's a MidiMan Uno which sell for around $30.00. It plugs into the USB port.

3. You need a program to play midi to to the device. I use aplaymidi.

Hope all this helps. I can tell you that I use MMA and the files it generates just about every day. Works very well. Also, on my webpage are a number of recordings I've made with mma generated files played though my not-too-expensive Casio synth with me playing sax. Have a listen:

http://www.mellowood.ca/music/recordings/index.html

I really hope this gets you going! Shout and let us know of success or if you need more help.

jon

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »

im gonna work on this some more later but here is where i am now.  i am unable to find where to get a terminal.   Sad  i see the system (i might use different terms as im working in spanish and translating) and under "system" there are "preferences" and "administration", however i dont find anything resembling "terminal" (which i assume means i can enter text like we used to do with dos) under either prefs or admin.  next i will try to install python.  i saved my downloads to the desktop so they are really easy to find.  Cool  my synth has a midi in midi out and midi thru, i dont see any problems there, and i will get a midiman uno and i do believe i have two usb ports on my computer so no problems there. 
anyway ill work more on this later and report any successes  Shocked
jon
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:44:15 PM »

In my gnome for a terminal click the main menu applications-->system tools -->konsol

You might have to check since I may have modified the menu.

jon

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:08 AM »

well, i downloaded python and looked for synaptic to install it and i whaddya know i had it, then i found where it was on my system but when i tried to use it i got this message:      " An error occurred"   
 E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.    Cry

does anything ever work for me?  oh well, its better to have a free application not work than to pay for band-in-a-box and have it not work either  Grin
jon

edit:  update i found how to open a terminal  in ubuntu gutsy   you click  "applications - accessories - terminal" - now lets see dont i need python to work first?  i think that winduds is messing up my ubuntu like it did before i updated to gutsy from fiesty - im gonna go windudless if i can figure out how - i only kept winduds for video editing but i cant figure out how to burn a DVD with it - so what good is it?  my neighbors mac will do in in a minute - sooooooooooo easy - why do i bother with winduds anyway?   Huh
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:44:30 AM by jon » Logged
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »

So, does python work on your system? From the terminal type "python --version". It should print something. If not, you will have to so to some Ubuntu forms and get help with your installation ... sorry, but I just don't know enough about systems to be a great tutor here.

Assuming that python is working, installing mma should be very simple!

So, let's get python working. Yes, I think you are right in that it is installed by default on ubuntu. But, I'm not sure. Also, I can add that gutsy never worked well for me at all and I am still quite happy using fiesty. I don't use gnome at all (I quite dislike it) and use kde for everything. For my installation I first installed ubuntu fiesty, then upgraded it to kde. I found that just doing a kubuntu install created problems. Ahh, this fun with getting distros to work well. For the most part it is easy, but when there are problems it's not a lot of fun. Esp. for newcommers. Really, you should visit http://ubuntuforums.org/ for system help.

I doubt that windows is causing problems. I'm assuming that you have a dual-boot system? Also, don't forget that there is a mma-for-windows. See the main page for winmma.

Let us know of progress! Yes, we want to help and see you using mma.

jon

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »

i opened the terminal and typed python version and got "not found" - probably because altho i have synaptic it didnt install the python i downloaded.  but anyway i have browsed the ubuntu forums - and that is where i got found where to find the terminal - strangely enuf when i was looking to delete winduds i came across the info.  i first started with edgy eft which fought a battle with winduds and ruined utube in winduds then winduds counterattacked and disabled edgy so i couldnt get on the internet most of the time.  Angry  once i managed to get on the internet with edgy i then upgraded to gutsy and things have been working well until i tried to download and install limewire for mp3 stuff and got the same error message i got trying to install python.   Sad  so i think the real solution is to eliminate winduds as it is the cause of the problem.  anybody get the idea that i hate paying good money to a very rich man for continually and massively inferior operating systems?  i would pay for mac, but alas cannot buy it, ubuntu is far superior to winduds imho - and its free.  the side benefit of mma is that im getting an education in computers wOO   meanwhile im actually well enuf to play my saxophone   Smiley
jon
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

If you are on a dual boot pc, like i am at the moment, windows will NOT interfere with your internet connection or other system parameters of your linux system.

if you get the answer 'not found' on the 'python' command there could be 2 reasons.
1. it isn't there, use the synaptic manager to install it
2. it's not in your search patch, again in a terminal, what gives the 'whereis python' command (without the quotes) as an answer ?

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »

You don't need to use a gui to install programs like python. From a terminal (we all know how to get to one now!) type:

sudo apt-get install python

Enter your password when prompted.

BTW, I got the message about doing a dkpg --configure -a on my wife's computer. Did that and about 1/2 hour later I reinstalled my OS. Yes, that was Gusty that buggered up. I installed Fiesty and have had no problems. I think that Gusty is to be avoided, but that's just my opinion.

jon

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:01:32 PM »

If you are on a dual boot pc, like i am at the moment, windows will NOT interfere with your internet connection or other system parameters of your linux system.

i believe that winduds is precisely the cause of my ubuntu problems,  i had no problems (?) with winduds - at least not youtube until i installed edgy eft - and i believe that ubuntu was the cause of winduds problems, so logic tells me that winduds is the cause of my ubuntu problems.  but what do i know remember im a computer dummy.   Grin  i have a friend that is the computer guy at a large office downtown and he will fix it for me before a month or two (i dont want to rush him  Wink )

if you get the answer 'not found' on the 'python' command there could be 2 reasons.
1. it isn't there, use the synaptic manager to install it
2. it's not in your search patch, again in a terminal, what gives the 'whereis python' command (without the quotes) as an answer ?

1.  the error command comes on when i try to install python with synaptic manager  Angry
2.  i get "python: can't open file 'version': [Errno 2] No such file or directory"  when i type in "python version" on my terminal

jon

jon

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »

You don't need to use a gui to install programs like python. From a terminal (we all know how to get to one now!) type:

sudo apt-get install python

Enter your password when prompted.

hey thanks - you have no idea how empowering it is to have access to direct computer line commands like we had to do under DOS - perhaps a GUI is more sticky than slippery? Roll Eyes  i definately will try to fire up python using the terminal!   stayed tuned for updates!

BTW, I got the message about doing a dkpg --configure -a on my wife's computer. Did that and about 1/2 hour later I reinstalled my OS. Yes, that was Gusty that buggered up. I installed Fiesty and have had no problems. I think that Gusty is to be avoided, but that's just my opinion.
do you dual boot too?  do you know how to get rid of winduds easily?
thanks a million again
i can just taste the jams im gonna have.  this will be an excuse to get a better keyboard amp   wOO
jon

edit:  i tried "sudo apt-get install python" and this is the reply:

"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. "   Cry
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:17:02 PM by jon » Logged
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 12:16:44 AM »

well, at this point run 'dpkg --configure -a' to <maybe> correct the problem.

If all else fails, just download ubuntu fiesty and install that. I run a single boot system, and have been doing so for years. But, again, having dual boot should not be a problem. And as Kara confirms, when you boot into windows it should not bugger with the linux stuff; and when you boot into linux it should not bugger with the windows.

If you want a single boot solution, just click the <use entire disk> option when installing linux.

I have a 2nd hard disk in my closet with XP on it. If I really need windows (very seldom) I just swap that one into my system.

jon

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 01:56:53 AM »

well, at this point run 'dpkg --configure -a' to <maybe> correct the problem.

it said that i needed to be a super user to do this - so i went to the ubuntu forums and found i can just type in "sudo dpkg --configure -a"
and it seemed to work    i then i typed "sudo apt-get install python" and it appeared to have succeeded but gave me some kind of message in spanish,  unfortunately the error message was deleted so i cannot post it here  Sad 
i now get this when i type in "python version" it says "python: can't open file 'version': [Errno 2] No such file or directory"  hmmmmm

If you want a single boot solution, just click the <use entire disk> option when installing linux.

I have a 2nd hard disk in my closet with XP on it. If I really need windows (very seldom) I just swap that one into my system.

hey thanks, i think that i will do exactly that as i have XP on cdrom (i think), and i want to get winduds off this computer.  now i know how.   will i lose my MMA install if i reload ubuntu?  (i have gutsy on disc, but feisty will have to be downloaded Sad )  i must be getting optimistic about MMA to worry about losing my install. 

i just opened up the terminal again and realized i had mistyped "python --version"  this time i got "Python 2.5.1"    wOO

continuing i had this exchange with my computer:
"juan@juan-desktop:~$ python --version
Python 2.5.1
juan@juan-desktop:~$ enter
bash: enter: orden no encontrada
juan@juan-desktop:~$ ls enter
ls: enter: No existe el fichero ó directorio
juan@juan-desktop:~$  1s enter
bash: 1s: orden no encontrada
juan@juan-desktop:~$ "
MMA IS on my desktop but it says it "doesnt exist" or the "order cannot be found"  Cry

but lets look at the bright side - i HAVE python, i know how to open a terminal, i know some programming words (?), im getting closer to having a REAL jam on autumn leaves perhaps(?), maybe off to future shop tomarrow to buy a midiman uno - im getting optimistic - and with computers thats saying alot!
another BIG thanks!  Grin
jon

edited update: here is the continuing exchange with my computer (remember im a dummy, and im proving it!) Wink

"juan@juan-desktop:~$ cd desktop
bash: cd: desktop: No existe el fichero ó directorio
juan@juan-desktop:~$ CD Desktop
bash: CD: orden no encontrada
juan@juan-desktop:~$ cd Desktop
juan@juan-desktop:~/Desktop$ ls
Guide-to-Inverse-ETFs.pdf  mma-pdf-1.3.tar.gz  mma-songs-1.3.tar.gz
mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz         mma-songs-1.3       Python-2.5.2.tgz
juan@juan-desktop:~/Desktop$ "

and then continuing:
 tar xzf mma-bin-1.3.tar.gz
juan@juan-desktop:~/Desktop$ cd mma-bin-1.3
juan@juan-desktop:~/Desktop/mma-bin-1.3$   sudo ./cp-install
[sudo] password for juan:

This script will install mma, the standard library and the
python modules.

We recommend that you install the package with this script
in the default locations. This script will create a
directory 'mma' in /usr/local/share. If this isn't
what you want, then stop this script and edit this
script's directory locations. But, please note that ONLY
/usr/local/share and /usr/share are supported as default
locations.

The main executable script will be installed in /usr/local/bin.

If you ever decide to get rid of MMA, just delete the executable
in /usr/local/mma and the directory tree in /usr/local/share/mma.

Press <ENTER> to continue (anything else will terminate):
This script will install mma, the standard library and the
python modules.

Copying mma to /usr/local/bin/mma
Copying library to /usr/local/share/mma
Copying includes to /usr/local/share/mma
Copying python modules to /usr/local/share/mma
Copying HTML documentation to /usr/local/share/mma

Updating database file. This uses mma with the -G option.
If this fails, something was not installed properly
and you should contact Bob and we'll figure it out.

Press <ENTER> to continue (anything else will terminate):
Running without pysco support, installation of pysco recommended.
Warning:
        No RC file was found or processed
Creating MMA groove directory database(s). Standby...
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/50srock.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/60srock.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/8beat.mma
       Ignoring: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/README
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/ballad.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/ballad128.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/basicrock.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/beguine.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/bigband.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/bluegrass.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/blues.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/boggiewoggie.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/bolero.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/bossanova.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/broadway.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/calypso.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/chacha.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/countryblues.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/countryswing.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/countrywaltz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/desert.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/dixie.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/dixiemarch.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/easyswing.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/fastblues.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/folk.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/foxtrot.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/frenchwaltz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/guitarballad.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/hillcountry.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/jazz-54.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/jazzguitar.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/jazzwaltz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/jive.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/lfusion.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/lighttango.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/lullaby.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/mambo.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/march.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/merengue.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/metronome.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/metronome3.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/modernjazz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/pianoballad.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/polka.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/popballad.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/quickstep.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/rb.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/rhumba.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/rock-128.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/rockballad.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/samba.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/shuffleboggie.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/ska.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/slowblues.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/slowbolero.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/slowcountry.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/slowjazz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/softrock.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/softshoe.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/son.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/swing.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/tango.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/trance.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/vienesewaltz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/waltz.mma
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/stdlib/zydeco.mma
       Ignoring: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/yamaha/README
       Creating: /usr/local/share/mma/lib/yamaha/mambo.mma
ERROR:<Line 195><File:/usr/local/share/mma/lib/yamaha/mambo.mma>
     Can't define groove name MAIN-A, already defined as an alias for SON.
Setting permissions on MMADIR database file for user update.
juan@juan-desktop:~/Desktop/mma-bin-1.3$

i will continue tomarrow - its getting late for me here (altho later for you im sure) 
 looks like its gonna work.  if it does ill let you know
thanks again
jon

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:11:55 AM by jon » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: