Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:33:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP - computer dummy just wants to jam  (Read 41695 times)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 01:59:03 AM »

Now, that is great news! See, told you it works Smiley

Maybe this is a bit late, but for "dummies" it might be worthwhile to get and install lemma

http://xenon.stanford.edu/~geksiong/lemma.html

it gives a nice gui and has a built-in editor. I've done a test run or 2, but don't use it on a daily basis ... I'm a computer weenie and really like to edit stuff with emacs (not vi, never vi!!!).

Please let us know when you get the files to play and the results of your first jam session.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »

edit stuff with emacs (not vi, never vi!!!).

nobody is perfect  Roll Eyes

Grin

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
jon

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 12:16:04 PM »

i tried using kmid without success, but i think i will wait for the final hardy heron release coming april 24th before i try again to play again some mma jazz standards.   ai recently met a neighbor that plays sax and we had our first jam, so things are coming together.   Wink
jon
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »

kmid works just fine. You might have to dl' timidity first, but I'm not sure. You did say you had a synth connected to the computer? If so, you probably have to set the output device on kmid. In my kmid this Settings->MidiSetup.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 06:21:35 PM »

edit stuff with emacs (not vi, never vi!!!).

nobody is perfect  Roll Eyes

Grin

k

Humpf!
For simple text editing I use a simple editor - nano.
Fast, light, on-screen reminders, and works off a floppy or USB stick in emergencies. Cool

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
jon

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »

kmid works just fine. You might have to dl' timidity first, but I'm not sure. You did say you had a synth connected to the computer? If so, you probably have to set the output device on kmid. In my kmid this Settings->MidiSetup.

one thing at a time - remember im a computer dummy.  when i try to run Kmid i get this message:
Quote from: Kmid
Error - Kmid
Could not open/dev/sequencer
Probably there is another program using it

when i go to add/remove applications i get this message when i search for timidity:
Quote from: add/remove applications
There is no matching application available

i have not connected my synth to my computer - same thing as band in a box - why spend money only to later fail when i can fail for free?  Grin  so altho i have been to archambault and looked at stuff - piano books, electronic drums and acoustic drums as well as flutes and saxophones - i havent wandered into the keyboard section to get a midiman uno until i really can play a midi sequence on my computer - i dont want to get my hopes up  Embarrassed  one frustration at a time - remember i told you i have never been able to burn a DVD altho i have been working on it (?) for a year?  well hardy heron has a DVD burner installed - only 13 days to go!  Wink  hey, two computer successes at once might just be too much for me.....
jon
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »

You really need to find someone locally who knows a bit about computers to give you a hand. Way easier to buy him/her a beer or a lunch!

jon

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 10:14:08 PM »

i googled timidity and found it.  Embarrassed and i went to the ubuntu forums to see what i could learn and guess what?  kmid doesnt seem to work very well with edgy - displays just the error message that i posted. i guess ill have to wait for hardy heron on april 24 to see if kmid will work with it.   Cheesy

jon
jon

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 02:28:01 AM »

well, im still struggling to get this working.  in now running hardy heron,  little other advancement on the computer front, still stuck with MMA, altho i now have KMID and LeMMA.  dunno even where to begin again   Angry  on the musical front things are progressing well -  playing bari sax with a big band - and have gigs lined up 
jon
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »

jon,
you'll have to be a bit more specific... what is exactly your problem
do you know linux, do you know how to use a terminal window, do you know how to execute mma ?

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »

I'm really NOT picking on Jon ... but I think this thread illustrates a few problems in trying to help a user AND how a user really needs to help from his end to get help ...

If you are having a problem with something it is important to state just what you have done and what problems you are having. For example, "I can't get audio to play" is exactly your problem ... but it won't get you much help! Instead, try things like: "I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed. Under Gnome I can't seem to get my audio working. I have accessed the audio panel ... I have ABC soundcard ... etc"

Back to our dear friend and MMA:

- please remember that MMA is a program which creates MIDI files. Quite good ones ... good enough that various folks (including MMA's author) use them in studio and live gig situations.

- MIDI files are a specific format which contain data

- MIDI files are played by computers, synths, etc.

- MMA doesn't play midi files, it just creates them.

- Before playing with MMA you should get to the point where you can play MP3 files (ie. get audio working). This forum, MMA, is not the place to ask for help in getting audio working on your Linux box.

- Before playing with MMA you should get to the point where you can play MIDI files. If your audio works, then the program KMID and others are a good start. Again, this is a MMA forum, not a general forum for help on audio/Linux.

- Now, try to use MMA. If you have a problem shout in this forum. We'll help you run MMA.

Honestly, we really do want to help you to succeed. But, you have to help ... and rest assured that the program works and works well. And, no we're not unfriendly or hash ... but sometimes we start to feel as our help just isn't getting to the point and we're wasting our and your time.

jon

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 01:23:19 AM »

I'm really NOT picking on Jon ... but I think this thread illustrates a few problems in trying to help a user AND how a user really needs to help from his end to get help ...
i think that the bottom line problem is that im computer challenged and this forum is not set up for people that have my handicap, but rather ones have are far more advanced than i.   

i have read over this thread many times trying to figure out what im doing wrong, as i figure that all the information is there somewhere,  but have become afraid to post for fear that the computer savvy people of this world will....   well anyway, i struggle on.   

i was offered band-in-a-box free, but when i realized the difficulty of getting it to work in ubuntu i decided that i would rather not.  so i return periodically when i get frustrated with the poor quality of the sequences that my mediocre piano playing ability can achieve from my synth to dream the impossible dream here in MMA.   wow to jam on sax to a real walking bass line!!! (and a piano comping and scrambled eggs on the snare).... 

the carrot held in front of me keeps me coming back to continue the fight, fearing the beating of another computer failure (im sure you dont want to hear the saga of my printer....) but praying that this computer will blast out the chord changes.  so i slog on.

i can play an mp3, i can play a midi track, i can use the terminal (sort of) - all things that i couldnt do when i began this quest.  so judging by my rate of progress, i should actually be able to pick up my sax and jam to the computer about fall 2009.  hope springs eternal
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 05:58:26 PM »

i can play an mp3, i can play a midi track, i can use the terminal (sort of) - all things that i couldn't do when i began this quest.  so judging by my rate of progress, i should actually be able to pick up my sax and jam to the computer about fall 2009.  hope springs eternal

So, what is the problem?

You have mma installed and you have the library of sound (music) files supplied with the program. Open a terminal and change to the directory with the song files and type:

mma a-song-name

Of course, you'll want to use a real name, not "a-song-name" Smiley

This should start up mma and you get a screen of info much like:

bob$ mma yellow-bird
  Overwriting existing midi file (70 bars, 2.34 min): './midi/yellow-bird.mid'

Now you should have a new file in that directory called "yellow-bird.mid".

You say you can play a midi file, so play it ... and jam along.

I can only suggest that you do the exact sequence listed above and if you do NOT have success let us know the EXACT problems you encounter. For example, if you get an error on the terminal ... let us know the text of the error.

Useful example:

... I tired to compile, but I get an error. Here's the command line and the error message:

bob$ mma yellow-birds
ERROR:     Input file 'yellow-birds' not found

Now, someone can tell you that the problem is the the file "yellow-birds" doesn't exist in your current directory.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and no one is going to "jump all over you" or call you "dumb". We want you to have success and we want to help you ... but you have to help by being exact in detailing the problems. Much as we would like, we're not psychic.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: