Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:12:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small laptop...  (Read 6843 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: March 09, 2008, 11:14:20 AM »

If you only want to add basic PC functionality to your studio like sequencing or recording, than this will come in handy: http://eeepc.asus.com

It's also very, very cheap, and if you have kids, you'll make them very happy too ! 
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

I saw one of these being used at the Linux Audio Conference last week. It was very lightweight and looked very smart.

The proud owner was very happy with it, although he commented that application start-ups can be a bit sluggish (I think it only has a 900MHz processor).

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »

As my digital audio activities increase, a laptop running on Linux (most likely Ubuntu Studio) will be a useful tool. I think I'll choose a brand that comes optimized for Linux, rather than Asus which so vigorously promotes the Windows O/S.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:39:32 PM »

This thing will certainly not replace your DAW, but being so lightweight, it is a handy toolbox for on the road. It only has a 900mHz processor and comes with 4GB solid state memory. The built in SD card slots is a valid replacement for extra storage (SD cards are very cheap nowdays).

So is this thing powerfull enough?

Well, I remember starting out with a 133Mhz pentium processor running cubase back in 1997.  It had 64Mb of ram and 2 harddisk of 1 GB. A top spec Pc in those days costing me 6 times more than the Asus eEe which is exactly 6 times more powerfull than this acient DAW...

I rest my case  Wink

Anyway, you can install WindowXP on it, or install your favourite Linux distro running Ardour and many more...

I'm sure we'll see more of these devices in the future...

Moon

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »

As my digital audio activities increase, a laptop running on Linux (most likely Ubuntu Studio) will be a useful tool. I think I'll choose a brand that comes optimized for Linux, rather than Asus which so vigorously promotes the Windows O/S.
The Eee is exceptional in that is is already running Linux. They have only now said they hope to get XP running on it - there is no possiblity at all of shoehorning vista into it Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:07 PM »

So is this thing powerfull enough?

Well, I remember starting out with a 133Mhz pentium processor running cubase back in 1997.  It had 64Mb of ram and 2 harddisk of 1 GB. A top spec Pc in those days costing me 6 times more than the Asus eEe which is exactly 6 times more powerfull than this acient DAW...

I rest my case  Wink

Moon

Yeah, but your back then your soundcard and video driver only needed 4 meg of RAM..combined!
 I remember having a 133 mHz system running a RAP10 16 track audio studio with two 500 Meg (that's right-megabyte!) hard drives on 32 meg RAM.
 Those were the days, eh?  I got more flawless recording hours out of that old Win3.1 system than I ever thought possible.  The uppgrade to 333mHz with 8 gig drive made me think I'd never need anything else.  Now my 2gHz is gettting old.. and the 120 gig drives get replaced regularly with 300 gig..

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »

I've seen one of these eeePc at work. One of my work-mates uses it while traveling and he says is worth trying
I hope he gives me the chance to try it Undecided

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »

These things sell out so fast they're becoming rare as rockinghorse sh#t Shocked

- Will
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »

I've got a big load of rockinghorse s&*t if you want it.
I was building some rocking horses recently and I had to clean it up. The young ones are the worst.

Looks remarkably like sawdust!

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: