Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:12:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxydization - a work in progress  (Read 19889 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: April 12, 2008, 05:13:43 PM »

I've started working on a new track. At first, the title was going to be something else but after a while the track veered so strongly in the Jarre direction, especially the Oxygene direction, that I decided on the new title.

It's still early and there's a lot of balancing levels still to be done - not to speak of the other half of the track! Smiley Still, hope you all enjoy this. I will be working on new versions as time progresses but right now I have to stop for a minute and let the track breathe. This was made in three hours straight.

* MarcJX8P_Oxydization_v001.ogg (2449.56 KB - downloaded 312 times.)

Also known as Marc JXP
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:05:20 PM »

the track veered so strongly in the Jarre direction, especially the Oxygene direction, that I decided on the new title.

Grin We know you like that sound and music, and it could seems a kind of emulation, but I prefer to see it as a choice of sounds and instruments. Although there's nothing wrong in emulating great artists, but after all this is your own music and I think we like it

This was made in three hours straight.

Shocked
 it already has a ton of character
everything's well defined
Well done !  Cool

Cheers
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »

Marc,

This is very promissing. I don't mind at all that it sounds like like JMJ, on the contrary; finaly someone who can match this level and style of music. So, keep working on this track and don't change that style !

Some thoughts: this can become a long song, I hope to hear a long intro which gradually builds the song up. The sounds are more than ok, except for the sounds at 1:40 and again at 1:57 (but that's my taste). Again, I think this song has mush potential, but be sure to give it enough room and don't try to squeez to much in a limited time, make room, even if at the end this song becomes 5 or 6 minutes long (or even more...)  Wink

I'm allready waiting for the next version !

Moon
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »

It's incredible that you made this in 3 hours  wOO
I don't know how you do that, it would take me at least 3 weeks.

Realy looking forward to the final version here 

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

Thanks! I'm quite enthusiastic about it so I'm glad you all liked it too. It'll be a lot longer in the final version, so don't worry Moon! Smiley

Considering the Jarre link, I'm definetely not actively trying to avoid that. When a track goes in that direction, I let it. In this case I actually was so happy about some of the sounds and patterns that I decided to let the name reflect the Jarre link.

I mentioned the time not to brag about it - it's more that sometimes I get into a very focussed mood when doing music and when that happens I get a lot done. On the other hand, in such a case after a few hours I'm totally knackered and I have to force myself to stop. Making music is never really relaxing for me. Wink

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »

I like this a lot. I'll have to keep an ear cocked for part 2 Smiley

I also quite agree with you about letting the music go where it wants to. I've had some pleasant surprises myself that way.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 12:51:17 AM »

Marc,

Would love to have a listen to your new piece,but when I run into a situation where I have to try to run a new software program to read foreign audio formats-this is where I run into a brick wall. Undecided

If it's not too much of a hassle for you,I would appreciate it if you could post mp3 files alongside your ogg files,so that everyone here can enjoy your work.

Thanks,

Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »

Hi Thom,

I normally would do that - certainly for final versions. However, my sequencer doesn't export mp3 directly and I was too tired to convert this one.

However, I had the same problems as you in the past with ogg tracks. But then I installed the illiminable codecs (http://illiminable.com/ogg/) and these allow the normal windows media player to play back oggs so it isn't a hassle anymore. I've had these working on my xp and vista machines.

That said, I'll get an mp3 up, certainly for the next version.

Also known as Marc JXP
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 01:48:55 PM »

I installed the illiminable codecs (http://illiminable.com/ogg/)

Yeah ! I use them too. it's a very light install and listening to OGG become transparent as mp3 and wma  Cool
I suggest to use them

Cheers
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »

I must be the only one on this forum who is not a JMJ fan. Of course you all know that I'm a 'real' instrument lover who doesn't deal much with synths......but this is great stuff from you, Marc.
You sure have a dynamic way of working. You pull such intricacies from those electronic boxes with a superb sense of rhythm and timing.
Great stuff, as usual.  Grin

@thom.  I have WinMediaPlayer set to stream MP3 and WinAmp set to stream ogg. Easy!
 Wink
James

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »

Thanks James! Cool to hear that you like it even though you're not a Jarre fan.

Still, give us here some time and we'll get you to like Jarre! Wink

Also known as Marc JXP
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »

New version of Oxydization is up! Additional work time: 1 hour. Changes: new intro, new variation on what used to be the last bit with a nice solo over it, new ending bit (which will not be the ending bit in the final version...). Lots of details: eq. panning, levels...

Hope you all like it, it's still not a final version but I'm getting ever more excited abou this one!

* MarcJX8P_Oxydization_v002.ogg (5298.7 KB - downloaded 291 times.)

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »

Is this a departure from your usual styles, Marc? There is an edge I've not noticed before....distorted, aggressive, but with a carefully orchestrated balance.

Lovely  Smiley

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »

Is this a departure from your usual styles, Marc? There is an edge I've not noticed before....distorted, aggressive, but with a carefully orchestrated balance.

Lovely  Smiley

Well, to be honest I don't have much control of where a track goes when I work on it... Wink I normally tend to like pads and 'airy' sounds which I suppose tend to create a more smooth sound image. In this case since I felt it going towards Oxygene territory and I wanted to explore that, I kind of did try not to use my normal set of sounds but instead used lots of classic synth sounds. There's lots of GMedia ImpOSCar in there and the lead sound you hear all over the track is their MiniMonsta synth which I really, really love. I also tried something different with the delays so I guess the sum of these small decisions is what gives the track a different sound. It's cool though as it is a kind of sound that I always found hard to achieve and I now have a much clearer idea of how to do that! Grin
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:55:37 PM by Marc JX8P » Logged

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »

I really like the way this is developing. wOO

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: