Kara-Moon Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:52:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Permafrost  (Read 7204 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: May 10, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

This piece was inspired by a 2 hour documentary I had seen on the History Channel
about Alaska.

I really wanted to take advantage of my arpeggiator functions on my XioSynth and this is the result...

* Permafrost.mp3 (2954.49 KB - downloaded 327 times.)

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:34:35 AM »

Is it a showtune for the capabilities your XIOSynth ?  Cheesy
It has a strong character and this is a pretty nice track
It sounds a bit like a tv theme to me, maybe for the lead sounds and synth texture

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »

This is well done, and certainly shows off the synth, but it is going too far in the 'experimental' direction for my personal tastes.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »

Nice composition, cool sounds!

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »

L.R.,

I'm having alot of fun just using the sounds off of the XioSynth,because it's a great way to learn your way around a new synth,but what's mutually purposeful I think,is that showcasing in this way,is a great method for people to take notice of what a synth is really capable of,as it's clearly the best way for others to decide on what synth to buy.
When I find what I believe,to be a great deal,I feel compelled to share that with others-especially so,since in the past,I never really thought much of Novation products,because I had always been so hung up on the synths that had the loudest reputation.
If I had not become more open minded to other synths besides Clavia & Access & Korg,I would have missed great oppurtunities to own products like the Alesis Ion & of course,the XioSynth.
Of course,I would still love to have an Access Virus,but it came to a point where I realized that if I saved up $1,250 for just a module,I would not be all that happy with it,because deep down,I ultimately want a key bed with my sounds and certainly,spending $2,850 on a 37 key synth is not at all realistic,since I am on a modest income.
I saved for 2 years to get my Korg Triton Extreme and that's still my flagship keyboard,but initially,when I set out on my quest for an analogue modeling synth to provide me with sound shaping that my Korg could'nt provide,I was only looking for a single extra keyboard to achieve this.

Even though the Alesis Ion filled that void rather well,I was bitten by the gear lust bug,and I started window-shopping like a madman and became obsessed with analogue modeling.

All that being said,the thought of spending additional years of my life just saving up for a analogue synth that costs as much as my Korg,did not make much sense to me anymore.
With this in mind,I researched Novation products and I found more variety with new sounds and I'm very happy with them.

One other revelation I had come to,was that why should I spend almost 3 grand for a synth with 80 voice polyphony,when I'm not that keen on patching keyboards to together for sequencing anyway?

I also plan on buying the Novation X-Station,so between this and the XioSynth,I will have only spent a thousand dollars,which is roughly 1/3 of the cost of the TI Snow 37 key,and $250 dollars less than the TI Snow module.

I still hope to have a Access Virus someday,but really though,it's just a extravagant luxury and merely a pipe dream at this point.

When I think about the Nord Lead I could have had..well..it would have been wonderful to have those magnificent sounds,but having several hundred,upon thousands of sounds-all without program names,would have driven me mad.

Anyways,thanks for your comments,

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »

This is well done, and certainly shows off the synth, but it is going too far in the 'experimental' direction for my personal tastes.
Will,

That's kind of the whole purpose isn't it?To reach vast new worlds of sound,to go were no man has gone before with sounds? Evil Grin

Thanks for your comments,

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »

Oren,

Thanks for the compliments brother. Cool

Thom

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »

Oh Thanks for the explaination Thom  Cool
I understand your choice and I'm glad your happy with it
I wish you many other excellent tracks (...to share with us...  Wink )

Cheers
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:06 AM »

I like the drive of the track, it goes very well with the sound used  Cool
Nice one Thom

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians