Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First attempt at Trance/Club music *UPDATED VERSION*  (Read 7691 times)
yrj77

« on: June 09, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »

I have attached my first attempt at Trance/Club music.  I'm mainly a rock-n-roll player, but I'm wanting to branch out to other styles.  Any suggestions and critiques, positive or negative are welcome.

yrj77

* Electronica.mp3 (3493.71 KB - downloaded 311 times.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:29:58 AM by yrj77 » Logged
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »

Hi there.

I'm not really into Trance but, as well as I can tell, you seem to have the genre pretty well, with enough originality to stand out.

The percussion sounds a bit 'wooly'. It could do with being quite a bit sharper.

How about panning the vocoder effects?

Certainly a good starter anyway.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »

Good starting. I think there is still a lot of room to work with effects. You've got some goods songs in there. I do miss some lead sounds though which can bring some more melody in the song. Just ideas off course...

Moon

P.S.: what happened at the end ? Kind of a sudden one... ?
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:19:40 PM »

Hi
this one has all the right numbers for a trance music number... Roll Eyes
I mean it sounds good, I enjoyed that
Cool choice of sounds and nice arrangement
Well done

Cheers

yrj77

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:47:53 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions and critiques.

Folderol,
Your right about the percussion.  I'm working on ways to make them sharper.  I also did want to pan on the vocoder, but so far I have not been pleased with the panning effects that I have.  I'm using Tracktion 2, and I'm going to find out if I can auto-pan within the program itself.

Moon,
I was unsure about adding more parts (lead sounds) because I thought it might make things too busy.  But I think you and some others clearly have a better grasp of the genre than I do, so if your suggestion is more parts then I will see what I can do.  As far as the end is concerned; I really had no idea how to end the song so I just ended it, and I figured that if the ending was unusual for Trance/Club music then the more knowledgeable would let me know.  That is the great thing about good and honest critiques.

After finding this website I knew that I wanted to join because of the learning possibilities.  I was impressed with the range of musical styles that were represented, and I knew this was a place were I could learn and hopefully contribute to the collective's knowledge.

Laguna Rising,
Thanks for noticing the arrangement.  I wanted to keep it simple but interesting enough (and hopefully different enough) so that it would be enjoyable for the listener.

yrj77
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:32 PM »

Hi yrj77,

Although I’m not very familiar with Trance/Club music I must say for a first attempt at this genre this is very good.

As previously stated I also believe the ending it too abrupt. That, IMHO, is the only thing that needs to be changed.

I also agree about the drum sounds and the lack of lead instruments.  If this were to be on a CD I would certainly listen to the advice that has been given.

However I do believe this piece of music could stand on its own as background music for a Sci Fi, action or a horror movie.  I think it would create a lot of suspense when used in the proper scene(s),

Overall this is really good.

The older I get the better I was!
yrj77

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »

Hey everybody,

I made some changes based on some of your suggestions.  I added more instruments and tried to sharpen up the drums.  I definitely think the song is better so I am curious for your opinions.

yrj77

* Electronica2.0.mp3 (4491.42 KB - downloaded 297 times.)
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 06:21:05 PM »

Although it was already good in the previous version, I think this is a major improvement.
More stuff going on, and so even more interesting but not confused: very good mix and separation.
Cool !

Cheers
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 05:58:33 AM »

I liked this one.
Not sure if it would make it in a club, but certainly a good track with interesting variations.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
yrj77

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:34:06 PM »

My knowledge of club music isn't all that great, but I'm working on it.  I've decided to try and focus on creating some electronic music.  I have some friends that I play with on occasion. The music we play is mainly guitar drive rock music, and we have begun to record some of our music.  But we are having a few issues about the recording process.  The issues are mostly mine so I have stepped away a bit and decided to go in a different direction for a time.

yrj77
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »

Interesting improvements ! Do keep experimenting with sounds and tunes. You're creating your own styles and sounds and that's a good thing.

Moon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: