Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:58:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expensive hardware, and it's real value in getting better sound...  (Read 15652 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: June 16, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »

Feast your ears - this guy is phenomenal, and well informed!

http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showthread.php?t=12836

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »

Interesting read Oren
Thanks for the link

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:50:01 AM »

I am beginning to be seriously concerned with the claims made by those who want to sell us better(more expensive/newer) software and hardware. There always seems to be an "expert" who will support the validity of these improvements, and tell us how inadequate our current set-up is.

When I comment that I can't actually hear any results, the response is that the rest of my equipment or software is not of sufficient quality to demonstrate these improvements, or that my ears are not "educated" enough to appreciate the subtle difference.

To me, this smells somewhat like the south end of a north-bound moose....  Wink Cheesy

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »

Better hard or software won't make better music... it's the musician in you that has to do that ! However, buying a 'better' instrument is a lot easier than exercising...

Moon
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:31:43 PM »

I am beginning to be seriously concerned with the claims made by those who want to sell us better(more expensive/newer) software and hardware. There always seems to be an "expert" who will support the validity of these improvements, and tell us how inadequate our current set-up is.

I hear that. For a long time now I have wondered how they were going to sustain the "infinite upgrade".

I still use my mastering grade sound card..and still work to 16 bit/44.1 sample rate.

I can't imagine that the human ear will evolve quickly enough to need more quality than that.

Have we hit the glass ceiling??

I am not the one to say..except that for me, and people who think like I do, good enough really is good enough.

Cool

Wyatt
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:34:29 PM by Wyatt » Logged

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »

To me, this smells somewhat like the south end of a north-bound moose....  Wink Cheesy

It all done to satisfy the G.A.S. of young musicians Cheesy

k

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 02:30:19 PM »

............... Cheesy thousands of comedians out of work, and Kara's being funny  Kiss.....

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:32:13 PM »

Better hard or software won't make better music... it's the musician in you that has to do that ! However, buying a 'better' instrument is a lot easier than exercising...

...too true, friend....

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »

............... Cheesy thousands of comedians out of work, and Kara's being funny  Kiss.....

Grin

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »

...too true, friend....

oh, yeah....  Roll Eyes Embarrassed
Alienz

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »

I just spent quite some money these last few weeks on:
- a new pc (from a 1,2ghz amd to a intel quad 9600 or something) ,
  I can now make tracks without my system starting to stutter after using more than say six plugs. I can also play along live now with my bassguitar which i couldnt with the old 1.2 amd. 
- a new hi-fi amp (my old one which i bought 20 years ago had a 'buggy' channel for the last few years so i had to hit it every 15 minutes to keep both channels working),
- a new headphone (since my last one, bought for 5 euros 10 years ago has had a crackly wire for these last few years)
-test-trying some speakers i borrowed from somebody and might buy them if i like them. My old speakers were ones given to me by a friend who found them in the garbage on a streetcorner.

Thanx to the new amp and speakers I can hear stuff Ive never heard before in my own tracks and in other peoples tracks etc. it really has brought so much joy back into making and listening to music.

So are you guys telling me now I could have saved me a lot of money and should have stuck with my old gear?! AND buy buying this stuff I've also instantly also become a worse musician?!  Thanx a lot! Cheesy
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 03:34:30 AM »

Thanx to the new amp and speakers I can hear stuff Ive never heard before in my own tracks and in other peoples tracks etc. it really has brought so much joy back into making and listening to music.
So are you guys telling me now I could have saved me a lot of money and should have stuck with my old gear?! AND buy buying this stuff I've also instantly also become a worse musician?! 

I think, under these circumstances, your equipment was inadequate for the tasks you hoped to accomplish, and an upgrade was justified. Wink

One of my sets of mastering speakers (I use 2 different systems, plus AKG headphones driven by a Rolls amp) was rescued from the garbage - a pair of Toshiba SS-3358's. Very accurate near-field monitoring.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:39:00 AM by Oren » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: