Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A workstation mystery...  (Read 3130 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 02, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem,or one similar to it;

I've had my Korg Triton Extreme for nearly 4 years now and I still sometimes have a random problem that turns into an utter disaster and I never have any means of trouble-shooting the problem either,which is that for no apparent reason,the songs that I save to a compact flash card are not completely there when I try to upload them at a later time.
Meaning,that even though I save all the data(notes,program patches,effects,all of the sequencer data,song data and such,every once in a while when I go to upload the saved songs,for some reason,my keyboard did not save all of the data.

What this means is that all of the notation data is there as sequencer and patttern data,but nothing else is present,such as the programs patches for each track,the effects I've implemented and such.

By default,the sequencer section has all the tracks set to the first program patch which is a grand piano sound...so when I load up the song data,the keyboard plays back all of the notation data using just the piano patch...meaning that all of the tracks such as drum tracks,guitar tracks,synth tracks and every other track is ALL being played back using the f**king grand piano patch!!?

Nothing,I mean nothing else has been saved,no effects,no track assignments,no specific programs...just notation data.

In the "media" section of this keyboard,you have the option of saving ALL data,Program-Combination-Global data,or just sequencer data.

If I select the "All" function,that saves everything including sampling data,but otherwise,I select the save PCG function,which saves all sequencer data,program names,effects and such.

99 % of the time,I save my songs without a hitch,but everynow and then,I wake up one morning to upload my song in progress to finish it,but not all of the information is there and I have to start from scratch!! Angry Cry

Because of this rare and random occurance,every time I go to save a song before it is finished,I never know if it's going to be there the next day! Huh

I have no way of determining if it's a matter of corrupted data,or operator error.
If it's corrupted data,then what is corrupting it?If it's an error I made,then how do I correct something if I have no way of even guessing what I did wrong?

Seemingly,the only solution to ensure that this does not occur again,is for me to take speed pills so that I can stay awake for days at a time until I get the song finished,so that way I can lay down what I've sequenced to my hard drive recorder,without worrying about saving it to a card.

This is a problem that I've been living with for years and it is a problem that is so discouraging,that I've thought about giving up being a musician altogether,because I absolutely hate the thought of always living with the fear of losing all of my important work that I've worked so hard on and I'm very miserable over this. Embarrassed
Sometimes I really wish I could walk away from this problem altogether,but music is all I have and I'll die without it.
If anyone else has experienced this,it would be helpful to hear about it,as maybe other people's experiences might give me some insight into the problem.

Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to read this and I apologize for the length of this.

Thom

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »

When "sometimes it does it" and "sometimes it doesn't" i would think it's a hardware problem ?
Perhaps a stupid question, but are you sure you save it allways in the same way ?
As a Roland guy I'm not specialized in Korg....

But a very quick look trough the manual made me wonder about something
Here is the quote :
"
When using “Save All,” “Save PCG & SNG,” and
“Save PCG” to save combinations, you should also
remember to save the programs used by each timbre
(and the drum kits used by the programs) and user
arpeggio patterns at the same time.
Similarly when saving programs, you should also
remember to save the drum kits and user arpeggio
patterns used by the programs.
"

So, I understand this as when you save all, you allso have to save the programs separatly ? Does that make sense?
Actually I have exactly the same workmethod on my GEM.
When I save all, it save all about the song, but I ALLSO have to save the 'performance', which is the whole assignement table, separatly.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

Kara,

Unfortunately,there is absolutely no simple solution to this,such as perhaps I used the wrong method or approach,but rather,I sometimes question whether or not I accidentally hit the a wrong button when I executed the save function and then when I contemplate those "if's",I then rationalize that if I had done something wrong in that way,there would be a very evident sign displayed on the screen.

I certainly have tried different methods,but what it all boils down to is,is that it's a matter of simply hitting the option that saves everything all at once and that's what I've done as far as I can tell.
What I've realized is,is that this obscure and rare occurance is so random and so few,that it's only happened to me about 5 times in the last 4 years,so if I did something wrong,I'll never know what that is and every time this happens,I'll lose everything and I'll just have to live with it,but I was hoping to narrow it down and maybe pinpoint the problem determining that it's a faulty compact flash card.

In fact,more often than not,the source of the problem is usually with memory cards,as I've had problems with CF cards with my field recorder,as well as problems with memory cards with my video game system.

Still,I am tormented with all sort of doubts,like maybe EVERYTHING is built like sh*t these days and I just can't rely on anything.

However though,I think that if companies like Korg,Kurzweil & Yamaha built hard drives into thier workstations,as supposed to relying on memory cards,then there would be no problems whatsoever,as I've never had any problems with any hard drive I've ever owned...I mean,as long as one does not buy an Alesis hard drive(like the Fusion),it a much better way to go.

Your very kind to try and help and I appreciate it very much. Smiley

Thank you,

Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: