Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:47:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: (re-master)C.R.O.A.D.  (Read 16937 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 19, 2008, 05:36:52 AM »

I had planned on putting this song on the back burner for a spell,& move onto to another song,but I saw an upcoming show(tonight)-with a local musician that I've greatly admired for some time,so this prompted me to polish this song up further,hoping to make an impression to this person,in hopes for a collaborative endevour.
I was hoping for some input by some recording pros here and I would appreciate some opinions on the technical aspects of this song.

Thanks,

Thom Smiley OOPS! Sorry about that folks...wow..brain must have been in sleeper mode! Embarrassed

* C.R.O.A.D.(remaster)mp3.mp3 (3708.78 KB - downloaded 415 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 11:22:20 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »

Thom,

Did you have a fresh file for us to work with, or are we starting from the mixdown on your previous post?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:03:22 PM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

Oren,

At this particular juncture,I just want an opinion(s) on the contrast between this version,versus the latest one.
If the artist that I submitted my demo to likes it and he wants to work with me,then you'll be the first one I contact in regards to obtaining your services to put the finishing touches on the song & so forth.

All this is very tentative at best,because the guy that I submitted my demo to usually works alone and when he does collaborate,it's with other musicians on a proffessional level(and I'm no where near as seasoned or accomplished as this person),so I'm just hoping for the best and I don't have any high expectations of this venture coming to fruition.
I do however,have some concrete plans to work with a female singer that I met last night,whom of which is willing to offer her vocals in exchange for having the opportunity to have free reign in my studio to go hog wild.
The woman has an exceptional voice and she's also a keyboardist,guitarist & a violinist! Shocked Cool
If this all pans out with her and we come up with some viable material,then in that event,I will seek out your expertise. Smiley

By the way,I do have fresh files...so in the event everything pans out,I can certainly send you the files in any fashion you like. Wink

Thanks for listening,

Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »

At this particular juncture,I just want an opinion(s) on the contrast between this version,versus the latest one.

I there supposed to be a version posted on this thread?  If so, it's not showing up... at least not here... Cry Cheesy

....or are we commenting on the version posted on "C.r.o.a.d.{EDIT}"

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »

It's not just me that's getting confused then. I was waiting for the new file to show up Huh

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 02:38:19 AM »

Oren & Will,

In my scramble to get this new version done to submit a demo to said artist,I somehow-in the chaos of the evening,made a post & forgot to add the song...that's what I get for multi-tasking in a mad rush. Shocked

Sorry about the confusion. Embarrassed

Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »

Not a recording pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I can say this is the cleanest version you've done so far.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »

Will,

I never claimed to be a recording pro,but rather,I had wanted opinions from those that are at the pro-level,due to thier extensive recording experience.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »

No, I meant that I'm not a recording pro Grin

- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

Pardon me,my bad! Grin Grin

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 02:04:03 AM »

No, I meant that I'm not a recording pro Grin
He's lying.
 Will is, in fact, a professional audio engineer in every way.
...................it's just that nobody's paying him. Yet  Cheesy

You have good instincts, Thom. The song moved forward in several important aspects.

An initial observation: your voice is very thick and tonally complex. Doubling up on vocal tracks is an excellent effect, but turns into over-kill in your case. Try removing all the vocal over-tracking except in that last segment "Time is..."; it works very well there. Give your voice room to breathe in the recording.

There is a frequency conflict between the guitar and the vocal between 0:38 and 1:10. EQ the guitar so only it's highest and lowest frequencies remain...say, dropping 15dB in the vicinity of 1000Hz, 5dB at 500Hz, and 5dB at 2000Hz. Thin out that guitar to make more room for your voice, Royce.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:12:52 AM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 02:51:55 AM »

Oren,

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice.I had thought that the guitar volume was too low,so I wanted to increase that a bit-I guess I over did it...I will definately abide by your suggestions,but as it is now,I am really burnt out on this song,so I need to put it to rest for a spell.
As for the vocals-I tend to double up on vocal tracks,because I've had alot of problems trying to articulate my vocals and it's very hard for me to have just a single vocal track,because the volume never seems to be enough and if I increase the gain,I always get distortion.
Another inherent problem,is that if I try bringing my face closer to the mic,I have a terrible time with distortion and if I back off of the mic too much,there's too much room resonance in the vocal track.
It's a delicate balance that is hard to master(for me anyway).

Thanks a mint for the pointers and I'll try to apply them accordingly when the time is ripe. Cheesy

Thom

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:34:47 AM »

Try using a compressor plugin on the voice in that case- it's what most pro's do.
'Classic Compressor' plugin (VST) boots up with a nice vocal compressor all loaded up.
--it's free!--
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-compressor.php
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:37:15 AM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:00:59 AM »

Good tip on the compressor!

You need to get the vocals into the computer without distortion first, though, so try to get the gain so that when you sing loudly it doesn't distort. To avoid room resonance, place something like a duvet or a cushion behind the mic, it will avoid having your voice bounce off the wall in front of you (behind the mic) which is an important factor in avoiding a 'boxy' sound. I've had good results creating a makeshift vocal booth out of a duvet around the singer and the mic. This way you should be able to get a non-distorted, relatively dry sound into the computer. Then go at it with a bit of compression!

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »

...To avoid room resonance, place something like a duvet or a cushion behind the mic, it will avoid having your voice bounce off the wall in front of you (behind the mic) which is an important factor in avoiding a 'boxy' sound. I've had good results creating a makeshift vocal booth out of a duvet around the singer and the mic...

Marc,
Can we get a photograph of the "duvet trick" in action? Cheesy  (I like it, I really do!)  wOO

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: