Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:56:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The absolute mini-studio setup.  (Read 8623 times)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »

We went in hollidays with our camper for a couple of weeks, and during that holliday the lady had one major requirement : NO PC during holliday  Shocked

I tought that was the right moment to find some new challenges, how to make music without a PC  Smiley

Since I'm the master of comprises  Grin I found the following solution.
I allways have my ACER N50 PDA with me, this can hardly be considered as a PC and besides it contains a lot of important personnal data of us, like credit card numbers (in case of loss), insurance numbers....
And since we recorded the 87PM concert, my BOSS BR600 recorder happened to lay around in the camper (what a coinsidense....  Grin)

I happen to have a small multitrack sequencer program on my pda with integrated free programmable synth.

During the death moments of the holliday I started to program the different sounds I needed and put some patterns together. This ended in the song we wanted to use for the summer contest.
Only problem we had at first side was to record the vox. I wanted a vox with a lot of reverb on it to fit the song and had only the internal mic of the BR to record. Only solution was to find a place with a lot of natural reverb and record directly there. We finaly found a abandoned chappel in Germany where we did the recording in one take just using the internal mic of the BR.

On the attached pic, you can see me creating the song  Grin
All in all it was a very experiment.

Here is the link to the song called 'Cairo is burning':
http://www.kara-moon.com/index.php?play_song_id=4719

* 100_0436.JPG (1089.4 KB, 2576x1932 - viewed 656 times.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:19:57 PM by kara » Logged

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »

A great sudio you have there Kara. This could be a theme for a next contest: make a song with a minimal setup...

I'm also glad nobody kicked you out of that chappel... lucky Azell was singing in french...  Cheesy

P.S.: does the song contain some secret code; like the codes of your VISA card ?  Grin 
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »

...I'm also glad nobody kicked you out of that chappel... lucky Azell was singing in french...  Cheesy
P.S.: does the song contain some secret code; like the codes of your VISA card ?  Grin... 

.............. Cheesy!

Outrageous song, Kara  wOO Minimal gear, challenging conditions, and low-rent software. A classic!

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »

Very interesting.....but
I get the song to play but I can't use the *save as* from the right click menu? Any idea why?
I always save contest entry songs so I can listen and compare a few times.  Huh
 Wink
James

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »

I get the song to play but I can't use the *save as* from the right click menu? Any idea why?

Yep, that it because the link is to the player of my artist page and not directly to the song.
I've attached the song to this post, now you can download it from here

k

* Caireenfeu.mp3 (3634.2 KB - downloaded 311 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »

Ah thanks, I'm also one of those who likes a 'real' track to play offline.

Judging from that pic, it looks like you're totally immersed in what you're doing Cheesy

You can really sense the crackly heat at the start - some very nice sounds you have there Cool

One tends to forget that there was real reverb before the electronic type! Wish I understood French Huh

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »

I've attached the song to this post, now you can download it from here

Thanks.
 Wink
James

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:59:04 AM »

Judging from that pic, it looks like you're totally immersed in what you're doing Cheesy
True, working with a hardware recorder is completly different from working with a software DAW.
When you work with software, you have a lot of visual aids, like colors, markers and stuff like that. A lot of people consider this as a big progress in recording techniques and studios, I'm a bit sceptic about this... I know that I'm personaly influenced by what I see when I work with audio, ex. if a new section of a song (with a different color of the section) is about to come in, i see the new section comming up on the screen and my brain is preparing for it to come before it is actually there. This alters my critical point of view on the song, since my brain was preparing to hear it, i didn't ask myself the question anymore if it actualy came in at the right spot. This is just one example how my brain is influenced by what I see, it could of cource be because I worked with hardware recorders before all that software existed, jounger people could be more used to this.
Another example is EQ. A typical example of 'what you see' against 'what you hear' are spectrum analysers. I can't/don't want to work with them. For me it's all about what you hear, a spectrum analyser can tell me that 2 instruments conflict in a certain freq. region but that doesn't mean that it sounds wrong...
I could ramble along about this, but to come to the point, I want to concentrate on what I hear and not be distracted by what I see when I work with audio material. other opinions differ of course.

You can really sense the crackly heat at the start - some very nice sounds you have there Cool

The synth engine is actualy the interesting part of that piece of software and it's pretty well constructed. The engine is completly build around 14 wave ocsilator, those wave oscilators can hold predifined wave forms (sinus,saw,rectangle,...) or waves that you draw yourself (interesting), or a wav file that you load like a sampler.
The realy interesting point is that you can combine those oscilators.
Examples:
Typical example of this is FM synthese. You use 1 or 2 oscilators as modulator which will modulate another oscilator which is the carrier.
In the same way you can use it to create additive synthese, combining 2 oscilators.
Or make it even more interesting, by using 2 different oscilators and let the sound morph from the first to the second. And if you you then use a thirth oscilator to pilot the morphing you get some interesting effects.
Add to this the possibility to build a filter section in the same way and you'll understand that there are some nice possibilities. Ex. use a self drawed wave form to pilot a low pass filter and let the wave form pilot the cut of frequency Grin
Unlimited possibilities ? No not realy, there is no way (or I haven't found it yet) to use substractive synthese...

Wish I understood French Huh

The lyrics are actually pretty simple and the vox was more used as an instrument then for the sake of the lyrics.
Basicaly it goes like this :

Hot,hot, the sky is hot
Hot,hot, the sky is hot
Hot,hot, my body is hot

Hot, hot, my heart is hot
Hot, hot, Cairo is hot

Fire, fire, the sky is burning
Fire, fire, my heart is burning

Fire, fire, Cairo is burning

Fire, fire, my heart is burning

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

Kara, the problem is not your brain, but your just to much 'male'... We all know that real man can concentrate on only one thing at a time. That's why you prefer hardware material with a minimal interface. Grin

O boy... does that mean that DAW software was designed for women ?  Huh

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 07:26:21 PM »

Kara, the problem is not your brain, but your just to much 'male'... We all know that real man can concentrate on only one thing at a time. That's why you prefer hardware material with a minimal interface. Grin

O boy... does that mean that DAW software was designed for women ?  Huh

Moon
Oh dear! I don't know what that make me then Huh
I very much prefer software. Personally I can get a much clearer mental image of what is going on if I can see and hear something at the same time. I don't know if it's relevant but I have spent {mmfty} {mmfff} years staring at needles, oscilloscopes etc. to make sense of what various bits of electronics are doing, so maybe I've become conditioned to meters, traces and bargraphs.

Having said that, I don't give the screen a glance when I'm actually playing something, only when setting up, changing sounds or editing.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: