Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Infinite flight - first attempt at rearranging this track  (Read 7468 times)
Frederik

« on: July 29, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »

After your remarks on the first vocal version I decided to redo this piece; I rebuild it round the vocals. There's a little less electronica, more bass, other drums, an extra pad, etc...

Just let me now if I'm getting somewhere with this new arrangement  (otherwise I'll drop it, plenty other things to develop)!

frederik

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 07:19:46 PM by Frederik » Logged
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »

Fred,

Interesting composition & atmosphere,but with a couple of pronounced problems...the bass drum is a little over done & sounds distorted and the high hat(s) could be toned down a bit and perhaps the reverb could be reduced on the drum track as well.
There are some very infectious synth melodies in this,but it's drowned out by the over-implentmentation of the effects.
Overall as is,it sounds like a live production that was done in a gymnasium,which makes the music a bit incoherant.
It seems to me that you've saturated the entire production with reverb,so I think that if you back off on the effects a bit on the instrument tracks,clean up the drum track for a tighter sound and decrease the vocal level just slightly-I believe you'll articulate the theme of this song well,without losing the atmosphere of it.

Just offering some of my thoughts on this,so I'll leave the expert advice to mix master Oren...the main man,the zen master,the demi god of the studio world. Cool Grin

Some very nice ideas at play here..looking forward to hearing the tweaked version. Cheesy

Cheers,

Thom

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:10:17 AM »

Interesting song, with an improved production it could become a good song  Cool
I agree with the remarks of Thom which nailed it pretty good.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Frederik

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »

thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I've already posted a quick fix version in the original post at the top. As said there a more fundamental reworking at least will have to wait till the weekend.

Got something else for you to listen to in the meantime, I'll upload it in a couple of minutes.

frederik
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:22:32 AM by Frederik » Logged
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »

Good overall and some really excellent parts, but also (especially near the start) some of the vocal sounds a bit confused.
 A trick that may be worth trying for the chorus (How I miss her, How I miss her, etc) is to double track and stagger the repeats. This gives you more breathing space and it doesn't sound like you are in a rush:

How I miss her {silence} How I miss her {silence}
 {silence}  How I miss her {silence} How I miss her

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Frederik

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:47:56 AM »

Thanks for the replie, Folderol!

Now that is a good trick for the chorus wOO
I'm already doubletracking (with a bit panning) in this song (between verse and chorus), so the split of the chorus would be easy to do.

BTW: I think I'm gonna try to rebuild this arrangement from say scratch, to try and build a more cohesive piece/production.
Whenever this leads to some result, I'll post it here.

frederik
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »

Just got round to listening to this one. I missed the original but the updated version is pretty sound. It's a good song, overall, but things do feel a tad 'overcrowded'. I think you are right to go for a rebuild on this piece. It will be worth it!
 Wink
James

Frederik

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »

The first attempt at re-arranging can be found in the original topic at the top  Wink

frederik
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:23:05 AM »

Ok I think I'm listening to the last attempt and although I'm not using my usual speakers but listening on headphones I think everything seems to be in its place.
Then I leave to the others the role of commenting on the production.
I congratulate once again for this song which is certainly above average for its catchy melodies and vocal lines

Cheers
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »

No further improvements necessary.

Reminds me of productions from "The Fifth Dimension" and "The Mommas and the Poppas" (this is good  Grin)

Frederik

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »

Thanks guys!

Glad to hear my rearrangement job did the trick  Wink

frederik
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »

No further improvements necessary.

Reminds me of productions from "The Fifth Dimension" and "The Mommas and the Poppas" (this is good  Grin)

+1

Great production and outstanding vocals!

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: