Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:31:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: On Wings  (Read 8819 times)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 22, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »

Hi guys. Funny little story with this track ... when I first wrote it I was totally impressed with myself ... even to the point where I figured I might have to get a bunch of larger hats Smiley Anyway, in my excitement I called my wife into the studio and asked her to listen ... now she didn't say it was the worst piece of crap she'd ever heard me play, but from her face I was expecting that comment. To say the least, she doesn't like it. And I still do (which, really, is the important part).

Anyway, before I toss it or decide to stick it on the next CD I do want some other opinions. I did a very quick mix: The backgound playing though my PA, me playing sax and recording with my H4. Sounds a bit hollow ... but it took all of 3 minutes to do!

http://mellowood.ca/music/recordings/on-wings.mp3

I'll leave this up for a week or so. If you have a chance in the meantime to give a listen and comment I'd be happy.

Best,

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »

I know the feeling, sometimes it's incredible how fast a woman can bury a musical idea  Roll Eyes
I like the feeling of the song, with some work on the arrangement and perhaps a collab with some guys here, it can become a good song.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »

I very much agree with Rony. This has potential although it will need quite a bit of work, but the basics are there.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »

Anyway, in my excitement I called my wife into the studio and asked her to listen ...  To say the least, she doesn't like it.

I have learned the hard way..

If you want her to like your song, wait until it is finished.   Wink

Cool

Wyatt

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »

I know the feeling, sometimes it's incredible how fast a woman can bury a musical idea  Roll Eyes

How very true..especially a woman who matters.   Wink

I like the feeling of the song, with some work on the arrangement and perhaps a collab with some guys here, it can become a good song.

Yes I agree also. This is a good idea, and could become a good song.

Cool

Wyatt

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »

Thanks Guys! I think that I got just what I needed here : some considerate hand holding.

Really tough to sit alone in the woods trying to be creative with little or no feedback! I really have no idea how we managed before the web and sites like this.

I will work on the song a bit more and see if I can flush a few bits out. There are a few chord changes which I don't think are "full" enough ... if anyone wants to help send me a personal mail and I'd be happy to send a mma file to them.

Thanks.

Frederik

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »

Well, the feeling to be happy with a track and then others disliking it is quite familiar, even though I haven't got a wife so far - there are others who can do this job quite well too Tongue

Work on it some more, and then maybe let it rest for some time. That is a least my "trick" to judge my tracks with fresh ears, and this quite often helps me to rework them (or to trash them altogether, thinking "hmm, the others were right, this is utter crap"  Grin).

frederik
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »

Funny story ... but true Smiley Yesterday my wife happened to see a chart of "On Wings" on my desk. I've been working on it a bit to fill out some chords. She had a "what's that song?" look on her face so I said "that's the song you don't like" ...

Well ... as always ... the wrong thing to say.

Backtracking a bit, when I first showed her the song it had an working title of "eagles flying".

She then explained to me that with the new title (On Wings) the song sounded much better. Honest, she did. And, I believe her!

Just points how how names are important. I think more important than we care to admit to.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:57:39 AM »

I hear some kind of a gypsy-jazz thing going on here. Very nice vibe!

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »

mmmhh... hell yes !    there are unusual folkish roots blended in here. Hard for me to define.
It's melodic and interesting, I like it
Very original

Cheers
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »

Okay ... now if I can get Django to drop by and help out with the guitar part Smiley

Thanks guys for the nice comments!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »

Okay ... now if I can get Django to drop by and help out with the guitar part Smiley

Try MarioDjango. He's good with jazz guitar, and works for beer... Grin

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 11:18:37 PM »

Try MarioDjango. He's good with jazz guitar, and works for beer... Grin

Oren - Good one SHORThair  Grin Grin

Bvdp – I also think this is really good song that just needs a little polish.

If you would like me to try some guitar parts just let me know via a PM.

PS – if you want your wife to like what you do then just play her the final cut and say “honey, I wrote this just for you”!  She may still hate it but she won’t say so  Wink

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: