Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:04:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this available?  (Read 8030 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: September 04, 2008, 09:23:20 PM »

Well, I guess I might as well be the first on here Smiley

As I do all my processing in software, I do very limited mixing, using a hand built passive unit. Because I want fairly precise repeatability. I have the gain and panning done in simple switched 6dB steps. Now this is fine when I'm only bringing in my old Sound Canvas & SY35, but I have other hardware synths I want to add, and also want to include mic recordings. (Currently I patch the mic in directly via a 46dB mic amp)

All the mixers I've seen have tiny little gain control knobs on the inputs and I can't for the life of me see how you can get any repeatable results off this (OK, I know the main faders are nice and big).

Is there such a beast as would fit what I want, that won't cost arm + leg and has, say 5 or 6 stereo inputs?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »

Will,

As you know,I'm strictly a harware guy,so I can't quite conceptualize your plight fully,but I will say that 6 stereo inputs on a mixer is a tall order-especially on a budget! Shocked
However though,the good news is,I think I may have found the ideal mixer for you...
The Soundcraft Compact 10 mixer.It has 6 stereo inputs & it's geared towards computer based recording-very impressive for a mere $249.00(USD)

From what I've read,the Compact series have decent sound quality for them being an entry level line and they are well reviewed mixers by many.

In the past,I have shopped around through countless brands & I honestly don't think you'll find anything more reasonably priced than the this Soundcraft series(unless you go with-perhaps Behringer,but I would'nt recommend them).

Hope this helps. Smiley

Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:49 AM »

Good call, I use the Compact 4 myself and it's a great little mixer. The Compact 4 has 2 mono channels and two stereo and the Compact 10 has more channels. What I do like is the flexible routing for recording and monitoring and the two seperate headphone channels.

Still, if you work in software a lot and you need more inputs and repeatability you might also want to think about an interface with more channels. That would also allow you to record simultaneously onto seperate tracks.

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »

I know the Compact mixers are well known for their quality/price ratio. I never used one myself, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Compact mixer.

Moon
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:43 PM »

I use the Behringer Eurorack UB 1002.
http://behringer.de/UB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG
This is a great little mixer and they also do them with more inputs.
For UK deals you won't get much better than Dolphin.
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/browse/category_id/89c7c4763b4e72ae116b05927dbc0da4
 Wink
James

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »

I use the Behringer Eurorack 802 A.

It was a present from a friend in Alaska.

It's been great for me..all the hookups I need.

Cool

Wyatt

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: