Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:11:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Samson Resolv series?  (Read 4376 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 07, 2008, 03:43:49 PM »

The new Resolv series,specifically the A5,A6 & A8 have been available for about 6 months now & I cannot find a single a review-either by consumers,nor magazines. Huh
Ultimately,I am awaiting the SoundOnSound review,but sometimes a year will go by,before they get around to reviewing new products. Angry

It seems that customers were willing to spend the extra cash for the Rubicon series because of their ribbon tweeters,but it also seems that the average recording novice(or just someone who is uninformed for whatever reason),is unaware or does not take into account that provided you have the upgraded materials & components,dome tweeters can produce that same performance as ribbon tweeters & in some cases,even exceed the performance of ribbon tweeters.

As to whether or not the new Resolv line can achieve this,remains a mystery-especially so,since Samson targets the entry level hobbyist,by advertising vague & exaggerated performance claims & unrealistic spec sheets.

The new Resolv line may very well indeed be an overall improvement over the old line,but what is definitive,is that Samson's specs on the frequency response are not accurate,because the necessary materials & components to achieve such levels are not available-because their cost is not within the parameters of their budget.

All this being said,has anyone here had a listen to the new Resolv line?I'm really curious about them,even though I don't have particularly high expectations of them.

I just may at some point,find it necessary to make the road trip out to my nearest SamAsh or Abe's Of Maine store,to demo them for myself.

Typically,Samsons have a muddy coloration in the low end-particularly with the larger sized monitors,which smear the the mid frequency performance.

To be fair to the Samsons though,generally all entry & intermediate level monitors(which are all two way systems),are faced with the arduous challenge of achieving a good balance of bass & mid performances and even with the pro-level monitors,it requires very critical & precise design & engineering techniques to achieve a well balance between the two said frequencies.

In the pro world,it is said that smaller sized monitors achieve better stereo imaging & a larger sweet spot,so my goal is to find a ideal pair of mastering monitors that offer optimal stereo imaging,stout-but balanced bass & mid-all in a small package,while also within a budget-if possible.

The Event ALP5's & the Samson A5's are two possible choices thus far,but I really need to invest more time in narrowing my search,as my indecision will get worse,before it gets better. Tongue

Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »

Thom,

It may become a major mission in life, now that you're moderator of this section of the forum, to travel hither and yon... sampling the various new gear and giving us a first-hand performance report.

An awesome responsibility - are you up for it, dude?  Afro

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:02:51 PM »

Well...someone has to do it...might as well be me-why the hell not?! Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: