Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So Many Stars  (Read 9669 times)
gekkojazz

« on: September 14, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »

Hi
I'm new to this forum - not sure if my kind of music will go down well - but here goes anyway!
This is a jazz quintet arrangement - alto sax, piano, guitar, bass & drums, recorded on a Yamaha EL900 organ, multitracked in audio using PG Powertracks.  I added a load of percussion sounds (downloaded from the net) to the basic drum track which came from PG's Real drums.
http://www.4shared.com/file/62946923/53003ab8/So_Many_Stars_mp3.html
Regards - Andrew
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »

This is a very relaxing, well performed and produced song. I have no doubt at all that you'll fit in well here Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:46:52 AM »

Hi Andrew and welcome here  Cool

No doubt you'll fit in here, we are open to all kinds of music and we have allready a couple of jazz musicians here.
Feel free to look around and comment on the songs, we are allso very open to collabs amongst artists.

Cool song you made, actually a style you'll hear in some of my songs too.
Subtle bass which fits well to the song (I'm a bass player)

Thanks for joinings us.

k

PS : You can attach your song directly to your post, by clicking on additional options when you create your post. No need to use other sites for that  Cool

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »

Hi Andrew and welcome,

I am very bias toward this style of music.  You did a fantastic job on this one.  Everything sounds “organic”.  That Yamaha has some very good sounds in it and you have the skill to get the most out of it.

Super job  wOO

The older I get the better I was!
gekkojazz

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:41:15 PM »

Thanks guys for the kind words & warm welcome to the site.

Andrew
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:20:10 AM »

You did a fantastic job on this one.  Everything sounds “organic”.  That Yamaha has some very good sounds in it and you have the skill to get the most out of it.

Andrew,

You demonstrate an excellent sense of the instruments, and the genre. Nice work with PowerTracks, too.

Welcome aboard!

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

I am very bias toward this style of music.  You did a fantastic job on this one.  Everything sounds “organic”.  That Yamaha has some very good sounds in it and you have the skill to get the most out of it.

Welcome to the K-M auditorium.
This is a very nice track and I agree with all the positive reviews since it has many good qualities from different point of views
Cool stuff

Cheers
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »

Cool song..were you born to be here or what??

Thanks for posting this.   

Wyatt

gekkojazz

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

Thanks Oren, Laguna & Wyatt for the feedback.  Glad you liked it.
Any advice on mixing would be very welcome.  I'm not very experienced with this side of things, but I use compression & eq, etc, on various tracks, just trusting my ears as to what sounds OK.
Cheers - Andrew
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 12:14:44 PM »

Trusting your ears is the key.  I think you did a fine job on it.  Nice work.
Only thing I can think of to make it  would be to add some ad lib from the piano.  The piano is just playing chords all the way thru and a real jazz piano player would be doing a little more improv on the chords and fills.

I enjoyed this; thanks.  Nice mix, not much to improve there.
Needs mastering  Wink  Try putting  overtoneEQ GEC in an aux slot (start with the stereo sheen preset) and send the instruments thru it a bit, especially drums, piano and sax.  It'll add some of the live harmonics back in, making it sound more like the musicians are in the room. I think you can get it at http://www.voxengo.com/product/overtonegeq/
shhhh... it's a secret weapon. free.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
gekkojazz

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »

Thanks for the advice Rharv - I'll give it a try.
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between mixing & mastering?
Andrew
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »

Mixing will get the balance of every instrument volume where you want it, the spread of the panning to create a soundstage, and the tone of each instrument all in coherence.  It should sound like a band when done with mixing.

Mastering puts the sheen on it.  Mastering will take the stereo file from the mixdown and make it sound like a more professional production. I'm working on a site right now to explain this topic exactly.  I'll post an announcement here when it's complete, but right now school is consuming a lot of my time.  I've got the name, and the layout and some content, and am waiting for a few 'heavys' from the recording world to find time for their contributions too.  It's taking longer than I envisioned, but I hope it will be worth it for the musicians that visit.
 Mastering; makes the sonics clear, balances the levels so all the songs on a CD sound even in volume and tonal characteristics.  It can push the power of a mix to an extreme, or expose the tiniest sound in a song. It's the point when the final edits are done and the project is brought together as a finished production.  It's the difference between a home recording and a commercial CD, really.  A great home recording will still be improved with mastering.  It's the final step that a lot of people fail to take.
 I've read that a demo has fifty times the chance of success if it is mastered as compared to a raw mix.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
toucher

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:42 PM »

Very nice tune.  Well thought out and relaxing.
a Job well done.

Toucher
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: