Kara-Moon Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:04:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange happenings...  (Read 9202 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: September 24, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »

I know, I know, this is a music forum, but because I'm a musician and don't focus on much else...I thought I'd throw this out here and see if any of you talented individuals will copy and paste to a more appropriate location.

I live at the south end of Vancouver Island, on Canada's west coast.

Tuesday September 23 was a quiet morning (still dark) with very few clouds in the sky, and only a light breeze.
At 3:20am I looked out the window, and below and to the south of the rising moon (slightly north of east) was a bright amber light, about the colour of a high pressure sodium lamp. This was the first of 5 such lights I would see over the next 10 or 15 minutes. The light had the appearance of a burning flare, descended slowly through the sky, and left a roughly vertical trail of "smoke". No parachute was in evidence, and the only noise from them was a soft "pop" when they first appeared (or ignited?).

There were two aircraft involved - neither made any sound that we could hear. My wife and I both studied the aircraft and "flares" with 7X50 binoculars.

One aircraft was flying back and forth in the northeast sky, and as it flew from north to south, it appeared to "drop" an amber light which would make that popping sound before it became visible. A new light was not deployed until after the previous one had disappeared below the horizon. This craft had three attached lights - one flashing red, one green, one white. Periodically, the three lights changed to white; none of them flashing.

The other aircraft maneuvered in the general area of the "flare" activity with no apparent pattern. It had three white lights distributed across its width, and a series of green lights flashing in sequence from front to rear (as best we could discern from its direction of travel).

The activity was already in progress when I first came upon it, and continued for at least 15 minutes, all without audible sound, other than the soft "pop" as each "flare" became visible.

I talked with only one other person who had heard about it - mentioned on a local early morning radio show that day.

End of story.

Any ideas? Grin

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:19:14 AM »

Interesting observation Oren.

Ideas Huh

US army playing with some of there new 'from the public' unknown toys ?
I remember around 2002 they where discussing a sort of 'Star wars' program, perhaps it wasn't abandoned after all ?

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »

I would guess a search mission, using the flares to light the ground. Red and green lights are common on aircraft to show the wingtips, red I believe for the right one and green for the left one. They normally flash and don't change to white though. Any indication if these were choppers?

Where's Fox Mulder when you need him... Smiley

Also known as Marc JXP
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:35:22 AM »

Yep, sounds like a rescue, or rescue training maneuvers to me.  Pilot rescue training over water is a standard practice maneauver and one vehicle is always a chopper.  Hard to scoop up a pilot with a jet..
 If they were choppers or unmanned craft you probably wouldn't have heard them.
Even fighter jets become very quiet at a distance, which is amazing because they are so loud up close.  We have a base near here, and when they go directly over they are loud, but if they go by just a few miles away you can hardly hear them.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
TristezaOrange

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »

Well, Oren, I can't offer you an explanation but your description inspired me to start work on a track! Smiley  Grin

Download my "Aerial And Trail EP" for free on Jamendo or buy it for peanuts at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:52:05 PM »

Yep, sounds like a rescue, or rescue training maneuvers to me.  Pilot rescue training over water is a standard practice maneauver and one vehicle is always a chopper.  Hard to scoop up a pilot with a jet..
Even fighter jets become very quiet at a distance, which is amazing because they are so loud up close.  We have a base near here, and when they go directly over they are loud, but if they go by just a few miles away you can hardly hear them.

Yeah..good possibility ..using flares and all. I spent several months anchored off a seal team training center. What a trip watching them drop off and pick up people.

They used to drop them out of a chopper and then pick them up with a RIB.

Never saw any night training though.

Cool

Wyatt
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:57:17 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 03:20:57 PM »

US army playing with some of there new 'from the public' unknown toys ?

Yes, Canada has a well-documented history of allowing U.S. military testing on our soil and in our airspace.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »

I would guess a search mission, using the flares to light the ground.

This would be a good explanation. These flares were so bright, I thought the sun was coming up Shocked!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »

Pilot rescue training over water is a standard practice maneauver and one vehicle is always a chopper. 

That was the most disconcerting feature. No sound but the initial ignition of the flares.

The Canadian jet aerobatic team called the Snowbirds spends some time around here, and it is true - very little sound until they are right over top of you. (man, those guys can fly)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:49:03 PM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »

Well, Oren, I can't offer you an explanation but your description inspired me to start work on a track! Smiley  Grin

I love it!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 03:47:07 PM »

Oren..real interesting..just last week I wrote a song called Amber Light..
Last few years there has been a lot of b.s. brouhaha about global warming, but what noone is talking about that a lot of those same government sponsored pseudo-scientific hacks are working at boiling the ionosphere.
Among other things, they want to test the feasibility of changing the weather over offending countries, [as if those fx would remain localized], as well as disrupt communications of enemy missiles whilst maintaining communication with our own.

Good on you about "Amber Light"!

The various technical/environmental weapons are a concern.

My opinion: If you can't sort out your differences, and are committed to a violent confrontation, do it hand-to-hand - no weapons. This makes it personal, intimate. In the course of attempting to throttle your opponent, you will invariably come to realize that he/she is a reflection of your own humanity, and all differences become trivial.

Politicians who recommend war to their citizens should be put in a cage together to fight it out among themselves. Believe me, a peaceful resolution will come about, very quickly.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 06:36:11 PM »

It is confirmed. Some prankster called in a false "vessel-in-distress" message on the south-east island coast, apparently just to witness the response. Total cost to the taxpayer is over 150,000 Canadian dollars.
(those flashing green lights must have been the running lights reflected off the rotor blades of a helicopter)

Thanks for all your replies - and you were right. Enjoy the feeling Cheesy

Oren

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:55 PM »

Good on you about "Amber Light"!

I should have it finished soon..the playing didn't take long..the rest has been taking me some long sessions.

Soon..soon, I keep telling myself soon.   Grin

Cool

Wyatt

Well there you go. Who said the military had no use Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »

Well there you go. Who said the military had no use Grin

Civil servants with guns... Terrifying thought Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: