Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:53:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: M-Audio BX5a monitors  (Read 11577 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 02, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »

These desktop monitors have been on the market for around 6 or 7 months,but since I've decided to dabble into the pc realm more,I had to consider upgrading from my Samson 40a's,as while they are powerful & impactful bass-wise for their price,they do not posses enough accuracy for a pc recording application...that being said,I took particular notice to the BX5a Deluxe's.
Now Deluxe....that very word used to describe a supposed upgrade from the old BXa series is clearly nothing more than a marketing tool,being that the street price for both the old & new are the same,upon each of their releases(as it were).

This of course,is inmaterial,as the old BXa series is quite good for the price range,so it stands to reason,that the new BX Deluxe's are at least as good as their predecessors(one would hope,but I am confident that they are of decent quality).

The demographic that M-Audio has always aimed for,is the electronic media platform,so their monitors tend to be a bit bass heavy-which can be a downfall for their 8 inch monitors(especially so,since all their monitors are rear ported).
This however,can be counteracted easily with dampening materials(acoustical foam,carpeted floors etc.,).
In the case of their smaller,bi-amped monitors(5 inch ones),they are balanced quite well overall(a typical advantage of monitors of this size) & the BX5a's are ideally suited for a desktop situation(with the exception of them being rear-ported),but again,this can be easily corrected & ideally,all studio environments should be acoustically treated for critical listening regardless(as I've discovered in the last 4 years,since I became serious about recording).

My only small gripe about these monitors(other than rear mounted ports),is the BX5a's only have XLR & TRS inputs and no RCA inputs. Huh
The absence of this feature puzzles me,since these are nearfields- ones typically used in a desktop configuration(meaning that the audio signal does not have far to travel,thus no real degradation of the signal occurs),because who uses an audio cable that's more than say...3 feet long?I certainly don't.
Balanced outputs are typically used with balanced cables-such as in a medium to large room,or a studio that has a separate control room,where the preservation of the audio signal is paramount!
Let's be realistic...how many M-Audio BX5a users are working with a $4400.00 8-core MacPro using Spectrasonics software?...no one,I would bet. Roll Eyes

Ultimately though,the exclusion of the RCA jacks is a minor inconvenience,especially so,when you consider what a handsome & compact design design the BX5a Deluxe's are...so dark & mysterious...like something you'd see Christian Bale's character use in his batcave in Batman Begins...sexy-SEXY! Cool

Best of all,the BX series gets the job done well & it stands to reason that the latest in this series will fair well-perhaps better? I aim to find out down the road. Evil

Drivers: 5" kevlar bi-weave cone,1" silk dome

Wattage: 40 LF,30 HF

Frequency response: 56Hz - 22kHz

Protection: RF interference,output current limiting & over temperature

Inputs: XLR & TRS

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX5aDeluxe.html

-Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »

...when you consider what a handsome & compact design design the BX5a Deluxe's are...so dark & mysterious...like something you'd see Christian Bale's character use in his batcave in Batman Begins...sexy-SEXY! Cool

Cool review, Thom!

(M-Audio would be smart to hire you in their marketing department. You're good, very good... Cheesy)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »

Oren,

Glad you dig the review-thanks! Cool

-Thom

mlit

bada-pisch!

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »

oi, cheers brother!

now, .. i've been looking for a cheap monitor solution.
i've cooked it down to the BX5a monitors and the KRK Rokit RP6 G2 monitors.

Specs on the RP6 G2's: (http://www.procom.no/index.php?target=http%3A//www.procom.no/infoShop/isProductDisplayer.php%3F%2520catID%3D17%26listAll%3D1)

Drivers:     Woofer: 6" Glass Aramid Composite Woofer
Tweeter: 1" Neodymium Soft Dome Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
Input:    XLR (3-pin), RCA & 1/4" TRS - 10k Ohm, Balanced / Unbalanced
Amplification:    100 Watt Dynamic Power Bi-amp, 24 dB Octave Filters
Frequency Response:    49Hz - 20kHz
Video Shielding:    Yes
Dimensions:(H x W x D)    32.1cm x 22.5cm x 29 cm

so i'm thinking going for the RP6 G2's. what do you think?

roger

do not judge music by it's drug!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »

Hey Roger,

Even though I have not heard the new KRK G2's for myself as of yet,I strongly suspect that they are no different than the previous Rokit series(other than having a new cone size available-5" cone),due to the fact that you're still dealing with a product with an identical manufacturing budget-hence the same price range.

Other than a new attractive design(emulating the VXT series),don't expect any sonic improvements here.
Don't get me wrong,the KRK Rokit series is among the most balanced monitors you'll find in this price range,that will give you a fairly honest mix,but I have something else in mind for you to consider....

Again,I have yet to listen to these monitors as well,but my research & experience has lead me to believe that the new Samson Resolv A6's will be a much better choice for the same money & here's why(in my opinion)....

Both companies make similarly priced monitors in the entry level range,but unlike KRK,Samson is a little more reasonably priced in the entry level of monitors(for whatever reason)....however though,when it comes to the intermediate level,KRK's prices start to soar quite high and now that Samson has stepped up into the arena of the intermediate level,they are offering the most reasonably priced intermediate level monitors I've seen thus far!
More specifically,here are the most obvious differences;

Cone material: Resolv A6's carbon fiber bi-weave vs. Rokit G2's glass aramide composite
Amplifier protection: Resolv's ferro fluid coolant & external heat sink, vs. Rokit G2's ferro fluid coolant alone

Material benefit comparisons;

Glass Aramid Composite is a mixture of paper pulp & glass fibers-which when combined,offer a stiffer & stronger cone-than just paper alone.This method is by far the cheapest way to improve on just a paper cone and this is an industry standard by which numerous companies use for entry level,budget monitors.

Carbon fiber bi-weave is made out of strands of carbon fiber(without paper) & is woven together with epoxy resins,making it incredibly light & strong(much more so than a paper & glass composite).

Another thing to be aware of,is that the new Resolv line of Samson's monitors have been drastically re-designed,in terms of upgrades in components & materials & this is Samson's best monitor that they have to offer.

Of course,you really need to hear both sets of monitors for yourself,to be clear on what you'll be happy with,but they're both the same size monitors,going for exactly the same price,so it's worth looking into.

One more thing....spec sheets are not an exact science,as each comapny has a different way of measuring a monitor's performance,in various enviroments.
Also bear in mind,that specs on low frequency responses tend to be the most inaccurate,because the amount of bass that an amplifier produces and the amount of bass that actually reaches your ears,can be very different and here's why....

Cabinent design & internal damping materials are very important in that they determine how much of the bass is preserved in translation...this is called the bass roll off point...meaning that if the path of the bass signal is cut short,the bass-in all of it's entirety,will not reach your ears.

Particularly with budget monitors,companies tend to exaggerate the low end numbers,so since the Rokit G2's read as 49Hz,you may actually only hear 56Hz(for example).
Unfortunately though,Samson is also guilty of fudging the numbers,but here is where things REALLY get interesting....
...the specs with regard to the bass response on the Samson's read as 40Hz...now obviously,this is not imperically possible-however though,with a low number like that,it's stands to reason,that you will actually hear-at the very least,49Hz out of the Samson's.
Overall,my best advice to you,is to by your monitors from a retailer that has a good return policy-one that will allow you to return your purchase,simply because you're not happy with them,because the true test of monitors do not take place until you get them in your home,to demo them properly.

Monitors of course,are a very subjective product-as it all comes down to your personal wants & tastes,but the new Samson's would be my personal top pick,based on the fact that I've owned both KRK's & Samson's in the past and the new Resolv line of Samson's seem to be the best buy out there right now,for $400(USD).
I need a secondary pair of monitors for my hardware studio and these Samson's are the monitors I plan on getting next. Wink Cool

I hope this helped you out & good luck in your purchase.

-Thom

mlit

bada-pisch!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:16:12 PM »

whoa! thanks for a really good reply on this Thom! Cool
now, first off .. i'm planning on buying mine from a norwegian shop.
the Samsons you're mentioning are $553,54 on the only norwegian website i could find them to buy. the KRK RP6's goes for $478,64, while the M-Audios is $448,68.
so the cheapest option for me is to go for the M-Audio BX5a's.

More specifically,here are the most obvious differences;

Cone material: Resolv A6's carbon fiber bi-weave vs. Rokit G2's glass aramide composite
Amplifier protection: Resolv's ferro fluid coolant & external heat sink, vs. Rokit G2's ferro fluid coolant alone

Material benefit comparisons;

Glass Aramid Composite is a mixture of paper pulp & glass fibers-which when combined,offer a stiffer & stronger cone-than just paper alone.This method is by far the cheapest way to improve on just a paper cone and this is an industry standard by which numerous companies use for entry level,budget monitors.

Carbon fiber bi-weave is made out of strands of carbon fiber(without paper) & is woven together with epoxy resins,making it incredibly light & strong(much more so than a paper & glass composite).

now, .. i'm way too impatient to get really into what would be the best choice. i don't really have the chance to go out and listen to all the different types of monitors that are out there (cause i live in a small town, hah) besides prices in the stores here are ridicilously high compared to buying them from a netshop. i will have some free time tomorrow after my doctors appointment to check out whats in the stores.

I won't decide yet, but I will keep the things you wrote in the back of my head when i go for 'em. Price is really a limit for me here aswell as I've bought lots of new stuff lately, and going to london in a 2 weeks time to hear and see Mr Scruff!  Afro

Anyway, a friend of mine has the Rokit 8's, and i must say i'm very impressed how much sound they actually make!
Thing is, .. these will be my first monitors ever. I recon I'll buy better ones in a couple of years. But for now I just need some reasonable monitors. I'm sick and tired of making music in a cheap-ass headset, or on my 3 year old stereo *laff*. I want clear sound!
I think maybe the G2's are fallin in favour 'cause of the RCA connection. I've got a mixer lying around, so I don't necesseraly need the unbalanced RCA connections, but yeh. They can come in quite handy.

I've gotta go to bed now. it's 1:15am.

nite nite

Roger

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:11 AM »

Roger,

Your welcome for the reply-glad to help,dude. Cool Given your financial & geographical situation and considering that your a newbie to studio monitors,I think either the KRK's or the M-Audio will suit you very well,as they're great to learn on,but they're also monitors that will keep you happy for years to come,I think. Wink
I can tell you that whatever you choose,you'll be thrilled with your new monitors,in comparison to crappy headphones-YOAH! Tongue Grin

Honestly,you might as well go with the cheapest of the three-namely the M-Audio's,because I have the BX8a's in my home theatre set up,& I love them!!

I've actually placed an order for the BX5a's for my pc,as the M-Audio's are good enough for my experienced ears. Evil

You'll be very pleased with whatever you choose,as you'll be upgrading considerably from headphones & your shelf stereo.....just stick with bi-amplified monitors in the general price range we discussed and you'll be good to go my friend....provided that you stay away from Behringer altogether...seriously dude,I'm not joking...avoid Behringer monitors as if your life depended on it!

Happy monitoring,

-Thom

mlit

bada-pisch!

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »

alright mate .. i got a deal on the M-Audio BX5a's for $286,36
also, i came to think about an old 4 channel studio mixer i got from my uncle when he upgraded the stereo solution at his bar years ago. it's a behringer mx602a (http://www.behringer.com/MX602A/index.cfm?lang=ENG). and that has mostly TRS inputs and outputs all the way. As do my soundcard (NI AudioKontrol 1). So i'm starting to tip over onto the m-audio monitors ..

what ya think brother?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:04:23 PM by mlit » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »

You got yourself a sweet deal on the BX5a's...cool! Cool

As for the Behringer mixer..well..you got it for free,so you might as well hook it up,fire it up and see how it works for you.

Behringer gear is not ideally suited for critical listening & production,and I've heard an awful lot of negative stuff about their mixers being noisy...so try it out,and if you are not happy with it,try the Mackie VLZ3 series mixers,as they are the best budget mixers in the business that are very reasonably priced.

Cheers,

-Thom

mlit

bada-pisch!

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 12:06:49 AM »

yer, i knew i would have to change that. i've also heard they're noisy. even the dj mixers  Roll Eyes
but for now i think i'm good Smiley
mixer will come later!

i found prices on some VLZ3 series mixers:
4channel - $145,40
8channel - $291,52
12channel - $462

i don't really need many channels. 8 should do, don't ya think? Smiley

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:43:18 AM »

The general rule in the selection of a mixer in my book,is to plan ahead & buy a mixer with more channels than you initially need,as it's likely that you're going to expand at some point,if your serious about your craft.
I don't know what your situation is,or what your plans are exactly,but it seems that an 8 channel is a good starting point. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: