Kara-Moon Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Seymore Duncar JB  (Read 30456 times)
Fred S
Moderators Views

« on: October 18, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »

Having fun with guitars!! I have an old Mexican Strat that somehow I got set up pretty well. But I can't imagine how good the pickups could be in a $400 guitar. So, just got back from the local (small) music store with installed high output single-coil noiseless pickups at the middle and neck and a Seymore Duncan JB Humbucker at the bridge. Wow, what a bunch of strange sound  Cheesy But, oh my, does that JB sing! Best yet, I was figuring $300 or $350. "Oh really, $234 OTD! (including a black knob kit, strings, and a new tremolo bar for the one I never had cause I'm not too smart)". "We don't charge for labor if you buy from us". Nice folks there. And now a solid throw around workhorse for Freddy!

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:42:48 PM »

Yeah, if only that would happen a little more often  Grin

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:37:19 AM »

Hey Will,

Are you by chance,quoting the famous line from George Peppard's character in the old t.v. series,The A-Team? Grin

-Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:04:24 AM »

G&L tells me that Seymour Duncan designed and manufactured the pickups for my 1996 G&L George Fullerton Signature. The guitar was built to give to the tonal and handling characteristics of a 1954 Strat, with today's technological advances included.
Seymour did a lovely job of the pickups Grin

You did good with the old Mexican Strat.....(I understand the Fender Mexico factory is right across the border from Fullerton California, where Fenders were originally made)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »

Hey Will,

Are you by chance,quoting the famous line from George Peppard's character in the old t.v. series,The A-Team? Grin

-Thom
You may think that...
I coudn't possibly comment Grin  Evil

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:27:47 PM »

Cool !
I own a mexican strat and I think it's a great guitar and I got it at a bargain price
I installed a SD hot rail pick.up (bridge). I like the neck pu sound and I don't want to change it
Have fun with it !

Cheers
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 07:31:09 PM »

Until about a year ago, I had no idea how fun guitars are!  Each one seems to have its own personality. And the difference the pickups make, especially between single coil and HB, is astonishing.

LR, that Mexican Strat was once considered by naive me to be a piece of junk! But once you learn about trusses, intonation, string height, etc.. you can do a lot with a basically sound guitar (no dead spots for example). The neck on that Strat is really quite nice to play. I don't think my American Deluxe is much better if at all...just different.  The necks on both are Maple, but the Mex has a smoother finish. That, and the deluxe has that old V-neck design which feels much different...good but definitely different. How long have you been playing?

Owen, I just have to get my hands of one of those G&Ls someday!!

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:21:33 PM »

Only guitar I own is a Mexican Strat, about 13 years old.
 Love it
Black with maple neck..
..but I'm a keyboard player...er a trumpet player originally...no, wait; I started piano first.. or was it kazoo?

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »

Black with maple neck..

There you are...in the picture...

The Kazoo is not an easy instrument in any stretch of the imagination  Wink

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:18:59 AM »

Oren, I just have to get my hands of one of those G&Ls someday!!

I just took this puppy in for a new nut, a fret dressing, and set-up for .010 - .046 strings. It had .009 - .042 strings installed, but the medium jumbo frets seem to respond better to slightly heavier string set.
(the Fullerton came from the factory with .009 - .042 guage strings, and performs admirably with them, but it has the smaller vintage-style frets)

I told my tech to spare no expense and make it better than new - we'll see what happens... Grin

* attitude gear.jpg (173.93 KB, 967x813 - viewed 693 times.)

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »

You're a brave man.

I'll let anybody play with my strat, but if I had that guitar I'd be afraid of anybody touching it..

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »

You're a brave man.
I'll let anybody play with my strat, but if I had that guitar I'd be afraid of anybody touching it..

It's a bit scary  Cheesy
The fellow I have found is a teacher of lutherie who decided to quit teaching and get back into the business. He also builds electric guitars to your custom specifications.
Here's hoping he has the chops... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:27:13 PM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »

Update: the S-500 came back in "better than new" playing condition. $150.00 covered a fret dressing, new strings, and a fresh set-up for the heavier guage.
Some of the best work I've ever seen...

Fred,
You put any mileage on those Seymour Duncans yet?

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »

@Oren
Glad the risk paid off.

Now lets get hearing it Smiley

- Will
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: