Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:56:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A laptop for in the studio  (Read 15271 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 10, 2008, 07:27:42 AM »

I'm looking for a decent laptop for usage on the move and in the studio.

Anyone have good experiences with their laptop. I'm currently looking into the new Sony Vayo AW series which looks very promising, but I have no idea if this one is a good choice.

Critical aspects for a laptop: must have a good fire-wire port and should be performant, must have a wide and big screen, should have a dead-silent operation... Yes, I'm demanding  Grin

Anyone have ideas on some options ?

Moon
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:54:58 AM »

Would certainly depend on the budget....

Did you have a look at DELL ?

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:14:21 AM »

I've read somewhere a review that stated that recent laptops from Dell are to be avoided as DAW laptops due to their poor firewire port. I don't know if that's true, but it made me being carefull when considering Dell.
I also have the feeling that Dells are targeted as business PC's.

Another one I considered was a macBook Pro, but apparently these have a very poor audio card (with many click and hiss) and are... well... twice the price of something "normal"... euhhr.. I mean something with a "normal" price tag.
Also, switching to Mac would mean you need to change your software. OK, you can run Window on a Mac, but what's the point then buying a Mac ?  Huh

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:51:47 PM »

I'm also in the process of looking for a mobile DAW. It looks like the best way to go is with a small, full-featured laptop and a collection of peripheral components that can then be selected to suit the requirements of each project.
Because I'll be using Ubuntu Studio as my operating system, a AMD processor and N-Vidia graphics card would be best. A USB2 M-Audio soundcard would also be the most Linux-friendly audio option.

So far, Acer has the specifications that most closely match these requirements. I'm thinking of a 15.4inch screen.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:02:54 PM »

I took the approach of trying to go semi-portable rather than fully portable. I've got a small form-factor 1.6GHz unit, with a savagely cut down desktop environment. My idea was to mostly run just Zyn on it as a slave synth.

Like this I only need a MidiSport 2x2, minimal monitor and a mouse. The audio quality is surprisingly good for an on-board sound chip.

It runs from an external power brick and will operate directly from a 12V battery. It isn't a complete success however, as my most complex Zyn voice patches, hit the limits if sounding more than a few notes a t a time. I guess this is being slightly unfair to it, and most of the time it is fine.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »

So far, Acer has the specifications that most closely match these requirements. I'm thinking of a 15.4inch screen.
I have currently 2 acers:
- a 5 years old Aspire 1700. This one is a superb laptop. OK, it weighs about 7 kg, but it is still a great machine.
- a 3 year ols 8100. This one is good, but not great.

Acer constructs great laptops, although some series are less 'great'.

I'm currently looking out at the new Vayo, the AW base model. It is a great specced laptop, and the price is not that exclusive as their previous series. I particulary like the numeric keypad and wide screen. Great machine for a mobile DAW...

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »

My computer tech/sales rep tells me it is very likely Linux will not drive all the toys on a new full-featured laptop - like the finger-print reader, for instance. "Go small and quiet with something designed for Linux, and save some money." he says. Shocked (my kind of salesman!)
I took the approach of trying to go semi-portable rather than fully portable.
With that advice in mind, this seems to be the most prudent approach. Acer's tiniest Aspire has a 8gig solid state drive (or 120gig hard drive), Intel's Atom processor, a Linus Linux OS, and no fan.

With this idea in mind, the notebook won't be for the studio, but for mobile work, and for times when "dead quiet" operation is necessary.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:58:57 PM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »

Critical aspects for a laptop... should have a dead-silent operation...

Hard drives and fans make noise. Big, fast components require lots of cooling. Does Sony supply a duvet or blanket...? Cheesy

Seriously, a solid-state drive and small processor looks like the ideal combination for a mobile recording computer....unless you're running Vista.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:25 PM »

I agree with the solid state drive. However, they are rather expensive. Anyway, starting with a normal drive and upgrading the drive or drives to SSD at a later stage seems a good option.

As for the CPU, modern CPU's make much less noise, and since the case is rather big, it has plenty of material to dissipate heat. Although, a cpu without a moving fan is always quiter, you trade in cpu power for silence.

And what about Vista. Yes... this is a worry. But I think I'll do the test. There's an interesting artice in the november issue of Sound on Sound explaining how to tweak Vista for a music PC.

I've ordered the Vayo today, which comes solely with Vista drivers, so I guess I soon will found out if the Vayo with Vista makes a good combination for a mobile DAW.

I'll keep you posted.

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 03:30:45 AM »

...starting with a normal drive and upgrading the drive or drives to SSD at a later stage seems a good option... I've ordered the Vayo today...

Fearless man! Kiss
Be sure to give us your full report...

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »

...starting with a normal drive and upgrading the drive or drives to SSD at a later stage seems a good option... I've ordered the Vayo today...

Fearless man! Kiss
Be sure to give us your full report...
In other words - make notes and take pictures. We will be asking questions later Tongue

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »

Ok, the adventure has started: I have the Vaio. It's a beatifull machine with a great screen, keybed, very silent and stylisch. But Vista is giving me headakes with the functioning of the sound cards... aaagggrrrr....

I'll open an new thread on VISTA to give you guys all the details.

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »

Ok, the adventure has started: I have the Vaio. It's a beatifull machine with a great screen, keybed, very silent and stylisch. But Vista is giving me headakes with the functioning of the sound cards... aaagggrrrr....I'll open an new thread on VISTA to give you guys all the details.

Good idea!
Say, it's interesting that aaagggrrr exists in Flemish, because we have a similar word in North American English - aaarrrrggghhCheesy!

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 07:56:03 PM »

Good idea!
Say, it's interesting that aaagggrrr exists in Flemish, because we have a similar word in North American English - aaarrrrggghhCheesy!

It's always a good idea to speak an international language when expressing feelings...  Grin

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 09:04:08 PM »

Good idea!

It's always a good idea to speak an international language when expressing feelings...  Grin

Moon
The Queens English would for course be: Haaarrrrggghh

- Will
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: