Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:18:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A hard way to fall  (Read 11253 times)
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:06 PM »

It's been a few weeks so time for another song, guys  Smiley

"He who digs a hole for someone else falls into it himself"
I don't know if that's the right saying in English but that's the general subject of this song

I used the M-tron pro in this one (though sparingly) and another one of GforceMedia called the Imposcar to blend in.

http://www.martin-e-music.nl/mp3/A-Hard-Way-To-Fall.mp3
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »

Martin, you write some extremely good songs

This is super!  I loved your vox on this one as well as the backing tracks  wOO

The lyrics were very very good

This is air-play ready IMHO wOO

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »

Martin,

The clean,metallic rythym guitar,the sweet string chords,evocative vocal tracks & haunting chorus's in this production,make for such a lovely tune...very beautifully done!
In regard to my personal favorites of yours,this is right up there with "Because Of You". Cool

Top notch stuff...superb,Sir!

Cheers,

-Thom

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:06:06 AM »

Thanks Thom and Mario. Glad you like it  Smiley

@ Thom. Nice to know you think it's one of my best. For me it's hard to pick any favourites. At the moment I think I would pick "Look up at the sky". I've done a new version of it which is on my website and wasn't posted here.

@ Mario. Thanks for the comments on the vox and the lyrics.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »

I agree, another good popsong from you, faithfull to your style.
For people loving this style, you are certainly placed in the top quality category.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:21:46 PM »

Thanks, Kara. Though I feel your comment is somewhat detached
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »

Not at all Martin, it is a top song !

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »

Here I am, late again Embarrassed

A very good song, but not my personal taste favorite of yours (the chord progression doesn't grab me all that well). That said though, its very original sounding, the vocal phrasing in the verse is great, the tron and the accoustic guitar sound really good, the change at 2:08 is very good, and the transition back out of that change is outstanding.

If you were in the middle of building this tune, I might have suggested to make the distorted guitar in the change more distinctive. I think it should bite through the sound a bit more. Maybe it has too much distortion. Its just an afterthought however, with not much value I know. But since it struck me, I thought I would pass it along Wink

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »

A very good song, but not my personal taste favorite of yours (the chord progression doesn't grab me all that well). That said though, its very original sounding, the vocal phrasing in the verse is great, the tron and the accoustic guitar sound really good, the change at 2:08 is very good, and the transition back out of that change is outstanding

Hey, thanks Fred. The change at 2:08 was a bit of a challenge. I didn't know if it would work. But I certainly felt this song needed some dynamics otherwise it would remain too uneventful, so to speak. I can understand the chord progression isn't too adventurous for your taste. I personally like the A6 chord in the chorus (shortly evolving into a D/a chord before jumping to the Em) in combination with the vocal melody and the string/choir/synth arrangement.

If you were in the middle of building this tune, I might have suggested to make the distorted guitar in the change more distinctive. I think it should bite through the sound a bit more. Maybe it has too much distortion. Its just an afterthought however, with not much value I know. But since it struck me, I thought I would pass it along Wink

I know what you mean here. I was torn between changing it as you suggest and leaving it as it was/is. The way it is now seems too benefit the mix. For instance the ac guitar is still audible whereas with a more pronounced distorted guitar it would probably have been buried in the mix. Well, it's all about choices you make in the end.
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 02:38:52 AM »

I know what you mean here. I was torn between changing it as you suggest and leaving it as it was/is. The way it is now seems too benefit the mix. For instance the ac guitar is still audible whereas with a more pronounced distorted guitar it would probably have been buried in the mix. Well, it's all about choices you make in the end.

Exactly right Wink

magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:42 PM »

Hi Martin,

another pure MartinE eurocalifornian ballad  Grin
I liked a lot your vocal here. The part after 01:30' is so cool, I enjoyed it  a lot Afro
My favourite part.
I liked less the part with the electric guitar riff, but the solo is cool as always.
Thanks to share!

mag

Frenchy but chic
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 08:58:54 PM »

Hi Martin,

mag

That's a nice qualification  Grin I'll remember that one.

Thanks for the comment, Mag. The part with the guitarriffs is maybe a bit out of context with the rest of the song but somehow I felt the song needed a part like that.

As far as the guitarsolo is concerned it's actually the least favourite part of the song for me. I feel something else is more suitable but I haven't come up with a better alternative yet.
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »

Yes, excellent choice of synth sounds blends in very well with acoustic guitars and over everything expressive vocals.
I understand Mag reference since I believe it has a 'west coast' feel
the 2.30 lead is the icing on the cake (and the following break superb) it goes to show how good your composing skill is
Well done

Cheers
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »

Thanks very much, Laguna. Appreciated.
edbulmer

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »

Martink-
Way to go, it's a great song.  Beautiful melody-love the changes and style.
I'll be in California in January my sis lives in Laguna Miguel. I'll listen for it on the radio it belongs there.
The only thing I would do is cut the distorted rhythm guitar and leave the electric solo.
Love the song though. 
Gives me something to strive towards.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: