Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:46:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make your studio greener  (Read 10257 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: December 01, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »

Lately, I see many articles on how to make your studio more green, resulting in less polution and a better environment.
Indeed, all our studio equipment is using a lot of energy... 

But, I did notice the backplate on my Motif 6 producer synth which apparently is consuming a merely 26 Watts. To be honest, this synth has all you need for making complete songs.

So my question, if you really care for the environment, wouldn't you better loose all of your pc equipments and buy a decent workstation synth ?

I'll check the consumption of other synths too...

Moon
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:30:26 PM »

Or even better, only use acoustic instruments and record onto wax cylinders! Wink

Although I like workstation synths (I use a Fantom Xa myself) I would miss the flexibility of computer based solutions like sequencers and Kore too much. As well as my favourite G-Force synths.

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »

Well Mr Moon, that's a pretty provocative comment Shocked

It may be that modern workstations will do all you say - I've not used one for a very long time, but I would be very surprised if I was able to find one that was as flexible to my personal way of working as the combination I currently use. Previous attempts have always ended with me being very frustrated and achieving very little. You only ever seemed to get a tiny snapshot of what the machine is doing at any one time, and there is absolutely no possibility of me being able to afford the more capable equipment.

I care for the environment, but I also care about my artistic expression. I shall look after the environment by turning off lights, turning down the heating etc. and look after my music by using the setup I am most comfortable with.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »

Oil companies have been squashing the alternative energy competition since the advent of natural resources..by any means necessary..on all levels.

Some states and/or certain cities have utilized other energy sources and of course,other countries-Iceland is a prime example,but the bulk of the world is still dominated by fossil fuel sources.

There is more than enough technology & options in alternate energy,which provide all the power this world will ever need,but the oil companies do not want you to know this...however though,more  & more people are aware of this these days,but it won't change a thing,as the oil companies have entirely too much political clout behind them,as well as enough capitol to bribe the governments of the world to continue using fossil fuels.

All this being said,I think it's ludicrous to worry about how much energy your studio equipment is using. Roll Eyes

If you really want to contribute to a cleaner environment,you'll really have to make some drastic changes in just about every aspect of your lifestyle,assuming you have the means & the resources to do so...and how many of us are willing to turn our lives upside down and who among us can afford to do this financially? Undecided

Some people in my country are very proactive in this regard,but these people are moving into remote areas of this country & building they're own homes,which include solar panels,propane tanks,windmills & so forth....

For most people though,this is not a practical & economically viable option,because the materials & finding builders with the technological knowledge,is just too expensive,to say the least.

Some years ago...something like 20 years ago in my country,there was a nation-wide campaign to have all shopping malls closed on Sundays,in an effort to conserve energy....which of course,was not received well by anyone...hmmm what a surprise. Shocked Roll Eyes

Another thing to consider also,is the method & materials used in the manufacturing of your studio equipment and how it's pollutants impact the environment...incidentally,this is why one of Clavia's product's was discontinued this very reason.

Some people are under the delusion that an all electric car is good for the environment...yes,in terms of the exclusion of fossil fuels-okay,but these vehicles are heavily dependent on car batteries,which increases the consumption of these batteries and then-what do you do with all of these used,surplus batteries?How do you dispose of so many properly?
There is also the issue of using a considerable amount more of house electricity to charge the batteries,which in turn,ends up using more fossil fuel,which is what powers the generators at the power plants.

If you really want to make a difference in watt consumption in your home,without having to sacrifice the amount of studio equipment you have,start with replacing all of your lightbulbs in your home with fluorescent ones,buy an energy efficient refrigerator & if you do not already have one(s),go with an LCD television,rather than a conventional picture tube,or a Plasma one and you'll save p-l-e-n-t-y of watts every month that way.
I replaced every single lightbulb throughout my apartment with fluorescent bulbs and I estimated that I am saving 525 watts,just by merely doing this.

I have not read the article you're referring to,but my guess is that whoever wrote the article & included it in the magazine,is most likely doing it for the posterity of the magazine or website..meaning that they have chosen a topic that is a fairly big issue & trend these days and they're looking to draw in more of the public to promote their magazine/website.

Just some food for thought...

-Thom
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 05:27:01 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:29:41 AM »

If you really want to make a difference in watt consumption in your home,without having to sacrifice the amount of studio equipment you have,start with replacing all of your lightbulbs in your home with fluorescent ones,buy an energy efficient refrigerator & if you do not already have one(s),go with an LCD television,rather than a conventional picture tube,or a Plasma one and you'll save p-l-e-n-t-y of watts every month that way.
I replaced every single lightbulb throughout my apartment with fluorescent bulbs and I estimated that I am saving 525 watts,just by merely doing this.
Allready done that  Cool

But you know, Moon somewhere has a point. It will be a long process to change habbits and existing technologie
So someone has to start, even it is only letting people realise that there must come an alternative solution.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »

In the mean time, I started to change my habbits: I do have some sounds on my DAW that I cannot create with my hardware synths, but I am trying to sample these and put them in my workstation's sample memory. I agree, I won't be able to create music without the PC, but I can try to minimize the usage of the power hungry DAW.
It's a bit like what Thoms says: you replace the lightbubles with others, you don't stop making light  Wink

Still, this post is not meant to offend anyone. I just realized that it is possible to make music while staying 'environmentaly concious'.

Also, I've seen a lot discussions on hard versus software, but in none of these, the environmental aspect was taken into account. This fact alone, is telling allready a lot!

P.S.: Have changed the lightbubles, the TV, the washing machine, the fridge, and only have to change the freezer now. All actions will make my 'footprint' 25% smaller.

Moon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: