Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:05:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Digitech GSP-1101  (Read 25212 times)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: February 01, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »

GSP-1101 guitar signal processor..in a word: nice tones

I may not be the most qualified person to evaluate this product, since I don’t have a lot to compare it to. I chose it after looking into some Line6 stuff that didn’t sound all that great to me..either massively distorted or kinda thin.

There are seven different ways this can hook into your rig. I use it as a preamp/direct box (with benefits), for recording. It is designed to not step all over your tone, and yet I would say it has plenty of horsepower and variety. In fact this is capable of sooo much tweaking.

They make kind of a big deal out of saying it leaves your tone alone. I guess they are trying to sell another rack mount box to folks who already have a lot of gear. As for me, if I wanted to leave my tone alone, I wouldn’t have bought it.

I listened to the samples Digitech put on their website, and out of 25,  there were 6 I liked and that is a really hugely impressive percentage. The fact that they even put sound samples up there in the first place says a lot. Try to find somebody else's.

The first day I got it I was pretty stoked, and used it as my guitar tones for “Blue Jazz”, and did I mention that I was pretty stoked?? 

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?topic=1826.msg16662;topicseen#msg16662

I have found that the clean to synthy tones work best with my Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster, which is the species of sound I favor.

My one major disappointment with this unit was when I used a digital distortion, (octivied) preset on a track for Kara’s song, "Reve Froid". The distortion just wasn’t pretty, and I am, at present,  resting on the assumption that single coil guitars and digital distortion aren’t a match made in heaven.

I could be wrong on that. Hey, maybe it’s the box??  So I am planning a test next week. Going to try a Les Paul, so I will see what that sounds like with the same amp setting.

I want to add that there are a couple of the samples on the website, (Big Strum is one comes to mind), that sound a lot better on the site than they do in person. Maybe some presets are sweeter with certain guitars. Based on my experiences, I could easily imagine that.

This is not my only magic box, but definitely my favorite. It is capable of so much more than I have ever felt the need to delve into, but it's nice to know it's there, just in case.

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:10:37 AM »

It is unfortunate that the guitarists developing the Digitech sound favour the humbucker-equipped guitars, and EQ the effects accordingly.

A tip for digital distortion/overdrive: mix in a little chorus and reverb to approximate the even-order harmonics generated by an over-driven vacuum tube (valve). That will "sweeten" the sound, and some subtle digital delay will supply an even richer distorted tone.
Then, boost the bass frequencies a bit to approximate the authoritive punch of a typical 4X12 speaker cabinet.
Wyatt, I want one of those puppies, now  Cheesy Afro

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »

It is unfortunate that the guitarists developing the Digitech sound favour the humbucker-equipped guitars, and EQ the effects accordingly.

When I owned a ES 335, I would have loved that. Single coils are under appreciated, imo.

A tip for digital distortion/overdrive: mix in a little chorus and reverb to approximate the even-order harmonics generated by an over-driven vacuum tube (valve). That will "sweeten" the sound, and some subtle digital delay will supply an even richer distorted tone.Then, boost the bass frequencies a bit to approximate the authoritive punch of a typical 4X12 speaker cabinet.

Thanks..I will definitely give that a shot.  I will deconstruct that preset, (octivied), and set that up. The potential is certainly there for a really unique and intriguing tone.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Wyatt, I want one of those puppies, now  Cheesy Afro

Can't blame you there..you would really be able to put this one through its paces.

Maybe they would loan you one to review??

Seriously..they would be nutz not to, and it never hurts to ask.

Cool

Wyatt

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:27 PM »

UPDATE:

As for their customer service, I have to say I am disappointed.

After I posted this thread I emailed them a question because I was concerned that there might be something wrong with my unit.

In fact, I had to email them twice and both times they did NOT answer my question, but rather gave me a terse, one sentence, superficial answer that skirted the issue. They never did answer my question, so I still do not know if there is a problem with my unit or not.

Cool

Wyatt

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:43:25 PM by Wyatt » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »

That's bad...  Angry

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »

As for their customer service, I have to say I am disappointed.
After I posted this thread I emailed them a question because I was concerned that there might be something wrong with my unit.
In fact, I had to email them twice and both times they did NOT answer my question, but rather gave me a terse, one sentence, superficial answer that skirted the issue. They never did answer my question, so I still do not know if there is a problem with my unit or not.

This is because the company prefers to involve the whole Digitech community wOO in the process, providing the forums:
http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_product_start.asp?productid=235

Digitech provides some of the most responsive and comprehensive customer service in the industry. Company technicians monitor the forums and deal with technical issues publicly so that everyone can benefit from hearing about the potential problems, and their solutions. Private e-mail action is discouraged; community participation is encouraged.
Information and recommendations from Digitech forum participants are used in further product development, and in subsequent software releases.

Need a manual for an old Digitech product? Try here -
http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/DIGITECH/RP12
Want to see how working guitarists manage their rigs? Try here -
http://www.michaelwilton.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12&sid=1d26aee54a1825eb55df2ba0b7dbd9ef
For information and advice on "all things guitar", try here -
http://community.ultimate-guitar.com/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:38:54 PM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

This is because the company prefers to involve the whole Digitech community wOO in the process, providing the forums:
http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar_product_start.asp?productid=235

Digitech provides some of the most responsive and comprehensive customer service in the industry.

Sorry, Oren, but I have to disagree with you there. They might have a nice forum, but I should not have to join a forum to get customer service. Their website lists an email adress for technical support. They do not say: "the only REAL tech support is on the forum". They have email tech support and they are not wanting to confirm that my unit has a problem. They will not tell me that it doesn't have a problem, but they seem to be wanting me to assume so.

Whether they have a forum community or not is not the issue here. I am a customer with a product, and they are not giving me a straight answer.

Their reply to my third email was to tell me to do a factory reset, which I have already told them that I did, and it did not change anything. Now if the unit was ok, it would be a simple matter to say so.

I asked them specifically if preset # 91 is supposed to have no preamp.  I asked them if preset # 86 is supposed to have a preamp with no gain control. It is not too much to ask for someone to answer two straight-up questions with a yes or a no. I have seven presets that are anomalous from the rest and they refuse to answer my questions. How would you feel? I can pretty much guarantee that it wouldn't make you feel like their customer service was the standard of anything.

I respect the living daylights out of you Oren, and I know you like these folks, but there is so excuse for the runaround they have been giving me. That is not customer service at all, in any sense of the word..and as it stands right now, I would never buy another product from them.

And yes, I have a manual and if those specs were in the manual, I would not have needed to ask them a simple question in the first place.

Like I said..it is not to much to ask for a straight answer. I asked three times and they wouldn't give me a yes or a no. I imagine if I had the audacity to ask a fourth time they would probably send me the link to the manual too.     Wink

Oh, and btw..It doesn't have to be on a public forum for them to use the solution to my problem in future development.

Cool

Wyatt

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:29:28 PM by Wyatt » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »

Oren,

I'm sorry my friend,but I would have to agree with Wyatt on this one,since I have had my own similar experiences with other companies-as well as seeing the same occurrences while visiting other product forums on the net.
It's pretty common place for some companies to include forums on their website-or to have links to affiliate forums for product support,because these companies do not want to shell out the extra green to pay for a knowledgeable staff-but rather,the corporate end of the company hires people off the street to answer phones & to read out solutions from a manual and create user forums....at a much less expense to the company.
Don't get me wrong,as these forums are a wonderful thing for the most part,but they don't always provide all of the solutions to everything & in some instances,some people are put through considerable amounts of inconvenience & hassles & they end up getting burned by the company...I've seen it happen time & time again.

-Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 01:56:57 AM »

I think it is a matter of perspective.

Who is responsible for my new machine - me, or the company who made it. My answer to that question is ...me.

I researched the product carefully, selected a brand and model, and found a price I was happy with.
Personally, I don't like to contact customer support, because no matter how informed and talented the person is, it is very difficult to give advice and an evaluation, unless the customer knows the product very well and has a solid grasp of the technical issues involved. In a telephone or e-mail consultation, the quality of the technician's answers is directly dependent on the quality of the customer's questions.

So if there appears to be a problem with my machine, I think of it as my problem, and go about finding a solution. I do more research, get to know the technical aspects of my machine, and talk to other owners of the same machine to see if they are experiencing similar difficulties. In the process of this activity I get to know the machine very well, and can therefore operate it better, and get better value from it.

As a last resort, after exhausting all other options, I suppose I would contact the company...but it has never come to that.

It's all part of being a responsible consumer, and we each have our own way of doing that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:59:53 AM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 04:42:23 AM »

I think it is a matter of perspective.

Who is responsible for my new machine - me, or the company who made it. My answer to that question is ...me.

Oren, I know you like these guys, bu this is getting ridiculuous.

Who paid hundreds of dollars for this box? Me.

Who promised tech support and a one year warrantee? Them

When I know 10 times as much as the tech support person, then you are suggesting that I did not do my due dilligence and the company should not have to honor its promise??

Give me a break.

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »

Oren, I know you like these guys, but this is getting ridiculuous.
Who paid hundreds of dollars for this box? Me.
Who promised tech support and a one year warrantee? Them
When I know 10 times as much as the tech support person, then you are suggesting that I did not do my due dilligence and the company should not have to honor its promise??

Wyatt,

Thanks for prompting me to clarify (where have I heard that before? Wink)

There is a fundamental orientation here that should be understood before continuing, and unfortunately, it would have been better if I had thought to mention it before you bought your processor. First of all, I don't know these guys, or like/dislike them, because I've never had a problem with one of their products. They make professional-quality gear for working musicians. The stuff works, and works, and works.

What is difficult to understand at first, is that pro players don't have time to contact technical support, or follow up on warranty claims. They are busy in the studio 12-14 hours a day, or touring, or writing. Or practicing their instrument... Cheesy. The players and their staff know the products intimately, and deal with any issues on the spot. If it is a real nasty problem, they will likely know the person at the manufacturer to contact directly, and the problem will be addressed quickly and thoroughly. Pro players know this as a matter of course - it's just a fact of life.
So, when they get a call/e-mail at a pro-audio company on their tech support line, it is likely to be treated as a bit of a...novelty  Embarrassed

Tech support and a warrantee are offered so folks feel the company is conducting business responsibly, but nobody who deals with a pro-audio equipment manufacturer like Digitech takes it seriously. If in the unlikely event  there is a fundamental problem with a pro-audio product, they will contact you, and make an announcement on their user's forum.

I hope this perspective helps members of Kara-Moon when they venture into the world of high-end pro-audio equipment. Know your stuff, and know how the company does business, before you buy.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:53:58 PM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »

Hey Oren..you're right..I should have asked you first..

..because if you had told me they don't really have tech support and they don't really honor their warrantee, they just pretend to so it looks like they're really a business, but only "pros" know about that..

Well, then I would have been happy to tell you thank you, and tell them to kiss my @ss.    Wink

There is no excuse for dishonesty. "Let them eat cake" ..went out with Marie Antoinette.

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »

So much to learn, friend, and so little time. I try to think of it all as a challenge, and let things roll as they will...
Life is sweet... Let's enjoy it as much as we can  wOO

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »

An idea whose time has come.   Grin  wOO

Cool

Wyatt

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

Crap, too late. I was gonna get in here, pick sides and stir the pot with my own opinions before it got all nicey, nicey, again  Evil Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: