Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samson Resolv A5 user review..  (Read 11651 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

Since I had the opportunity to buy the new Resolv monitors for $75 below the street price of $300...I decided to trade in my Zoom effects processor(which I rarely use)& I picked up a pair of these monitors for $165(with the trade in).
Since I needed a secondary pair of budget monitors for mastering & vocals on my Zoom recorder,I have found the A5's to fit the bill quite nicely...that is,as nicely as the price tag will allow.
In contrast to the old Resolv monitors of the same size,the new Resolvs have noticeable improvements-particularly in the mid & high ranges,as these frequencies are articulated rather well.
The bass response  according to the spec sheet,is 45Hz-which is ludicrous,as this is just not imperically possible at this price point & only a few ultra high end companies have managed such a low end in a cabinet of this size. Roll Eyes
However though,the bass is sufficient in a compact space & while the overall tonal quality of the bass is a slight improvement over the old series-there still remains,that distinctive boxy/boominess that Resolv is known for,but nothing that presents a problem-especially so,for the low price tag....& after all,these are not a pair of $1000 Adam A7's.
I have put these monitors through their paces...doing mixing & playback for a solid two hours to break them in proper & I have found them to be surprisingly accurate...giving a very fair representation of everything I threw at them & when I pushed them hard(almost at half volume),they rocked the house & retained their accuracy quite well...but I would not push them beyond this point,as these monitors will melt your ears at close range! Shocked

-Thom

* Samson Resolv A5 002.JPG (1741.72 KB, 1728x2304 - viewed 1293 times.)

* Samson Resolv A5 003.JPG (1664.39 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 1541 times.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:39:30 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »

Did we pick the right guy to do hardware reviews, or what?

You have a lot of fun with this stuff, and it shows  Grin

Thanks for the "skinny" on these new Samsons.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »

Did we pick the right guy to do hardware reviews, or what?

We certainly did  Cool
Thanks for this review
I have the the old Resolv monitors, and am pretty satisfied with it, probably because I know them so well.
I've spend hours listening to commercial CD's on them, just to get used to the sound they produce.
Building a reference for me  Wink

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »

+1

Yeah..what they said!

wOO

Cool

Wyatt

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »

It means a great deal to me that you folks hold me in this regard in this category of the forum...thanks guys! Cool

Always a pleasure,

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: