Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:57:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio drivers & latency...  (Read 4251 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: February 26, 2009, 06:05:21 AM »

In the last few days,I've been on a relentless crusade to resolv my latency issue with my Korg M50 & my Reason 4 workstation.
Thus far,I have downloaded the latest driver update for my M50,the latest Reason 4 version(4.0.1) & I even downloaded the Asio4All download.....the Asio driver was the only thing that corrected the latency issue,but the Asio driver introduced new problems...the volume was cut in half & the fidelity was compromised as well.
I have also configured & tweaked every possible setting in the audio drop menu under preferences...such as making adjustments with sample rates & milliseconds....all to no avail.
Wyatt has offered all of his efforts,as well as some folks from the Propellerhead forum...all of which have been helpful & insightful,but I still have not effectively ironed out the problem.
An individual on the Propellerhead forum is of the opinion that an upgrade to my pc is unnecessary and he advises me that I just need to find the appropriate audio driver,as my factory sound card is sufficient for what I want to achieve.
It's not really imperative that I get the Korg to work with Reason,but I was hoping to at least get somewhat familiar with Reason,while I wait for my M-Audio Axiom Pro,which is not due to arrive until some time in April.
It is my hope and it seems logical,that along with the new controller,there will be an audio driver download that will provide minimal to zero latency,with my specific computer set up.....this stands to reason,because M-Audio has specific updates for some of their other products that are geared towards my specific computer....but I would like to be prepared for the worst case scenario.
Any & all additional advice from folks on this forum would be great,as I could use all of the input I can get my head around,but with the preface being that I am determined to resolve my issues with my existing sound card & my current OS.
Any input along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Thom

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:05:50 AM »

Thom,

I can't help with Reason since I don't use it, but I do use Asio4all
Which version of asio4all do you use, I have myself V2.9
What I can tell you that it isn't normal that the volume is cut in half ! Is that the output volume of Reason ?
Did you try with Audacity and asio4all ? Just put the output device in audacity (under preferences) to asio4all. Do you have a difference then ? If yes, changes are big that your audiocard is not compatible with asio4all... if it works with audacity the problem will be with reason...
If you get it working allright, you can still with audacity, reduce the asio buffer size. Just reduce until you get crackles and the put it a bit again.
Allso try to play with the hardware buffer in the asio panel, mind you this doesn't work with all cards ! You just have to test it.
It could allso be that you have a 16 bit card, you could try to check the 'Force WDM driver to 16 bit' and see what is happening then.

k

In the last few days,I've been on a relentless crusade to resolv my latency issue with my Korg M50 & my Reason 4 workstation.
Thus far,I have downloaded the latest driver update for my M50,the latest Reason 4 version(4.0.1) & I even downloaded the Asio4All download.....the Asio driver was the only thing that corrected the latency issue,but the Asio driver introduced new problems...the volume was cut in half & the fidelity was compromised as well.
I have also configured & tweaked every possible setting in the audio drop menu under preferences...such as making adjustments with sample rates & milliseconds....all to no avail.
Wyatt has offered all of his efforts,as well as some folks from the Propellerhead forum...all of which have been helpful & insightful,but I still have not effectively ironed out the problem.
An individual on the Propellerhead forum is of the opinion that an upgrade to my pc is unnecessary and he advises me that I just need to find the appropriate audio driver,as my factory sound card is sufficient for what I want to achieve.
It's not really imperative that I get the Korg to work with Reason,but I was hoping to at least get somewhat familiar with Reason,while I wait for my M-Audio Axiom Pro,which is not due to arrive until some time in April.
It is my hope and it seems logical,that along with the new controller,there will be an audio driver download that will provide minimal to zero latency,with my specific computer set up.....this stands to reason,because M-Audio has specific updates for some of their other products that are geared towards my specific computer....but I would like to be prepared for the worst case scenario.
Any & all additional advice from folks on this forum would be great,as I could use all of the input I can get my head around,but with the preface being that I am determined to resolve my issues with my existing sound card & my current OS.
Any input along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Thom

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

Kara,

Thanks for input...I appreciate it.I think maybe I'll need to hire a computer tech to install a sound card...I may not need one,but it will probably be worth the money just to have someone tell me whether or not I actually need to upgrade,because at least then,I will be a bit more knowledgable about my computer.

Wyatt told me that I cannot install the card myself,but I have a person on the Propellerhead forum telling me that changing a sound card is as easy as changing a light bulb.I've also got another person telling me that my factory sound board would be fine(with the exception of it eating up my CPU power).

I certainly would not debate this with anyone-because they're seasoned pc users & I'm not,but unless someone has the exact same pc as I have & has upgraded their sounds card with the same pc,I guess it's best to have a pc technician look at it.

There is a specialty computer store a few miles away from me down the road....I 'll bring my query to them & see what they come up with.

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: