Kara-Moon Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:03:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: April KVR !!  (Read 4162 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: April 12, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

I apologise for 'highjacking' another thread. I shall re-post my stuff here.  Embarrassed

Here is my contribution for this month.
As I missed out on the 'natural' theme last month, due to a severe case of 'real life' taking over, I thought I could use this 'free-for-all' as a second chance.
This is my evocation of
Spring.

Acoustic guitar, Irish bouzouki, penny whistle and fretless acoustic bass.

I recorded each instrument with only two takes, one for rehearsal and one for real.  I seem to be going more in that direction all the time.  I somehow feel the need to hone the playing skills more than the 'afterwards' audio editing.
The best thing I have discovered for a long time has been BackStage EQ, which is just so perfect applied to all of my acoustic instruments. It make more difference than I could ever have imagined.
Enjoy,
 Wink
James

* Spring.jpg (116.66 KB, 478x498 - viewed 502 times.)
* 0904_offthewall_Spring.mp3 (3532.13 KB - downloaded 260 times.)

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »

I was thinking myself of splitting your post in another theme but you've beaten me  Grin
A lovely song faithful to your style.
Just some remarks how I hear the mix....
I think that the bass is a bit to present, it has a lovely sound by the way. Is that an acoustic fret less?
On the other hand the whistle is a bit to much behind the guitar.
OR...  Grin
You could leave the whistle where it is now, consider it as a counter melody and ask Lady D to sing.
Which would be a great idea  Shocked Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »

You could leave the whistle where it is now, consider it as a counter melody and ask Lady D to sing.
Which would be a great idea  Shocked Cool

k
Sneaky Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »

I somehow feel the need to hone the playing skills more than the 'afterwards' audio editing.
James

That’s exactly what I’m trying to do.  You’re much better at it thought Tongue

This song is a rough diamond just waiting to be polished.  I agree with Ronny when it comes to the bass and whistle.  Just a slight remix and you will have a winner IMHO.

Regardless, this is a very good example of musicianship.  Everything is well played wOO

The older I get the better I was!
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the comments, each.
Rony ... yes, this is acoustic fretless (pictured) mic'ed through Behringer XM1800S and d/i'd with no effects other than OvertoneGEQ and Glaceverb (Master preset) on the Master channel. It's my favourite bass for tone but is really difficult to record successfully. It should really have tapewound strings on but they are too expensive for me.  Undecided
You may be right about the mix. I'm afraid I do all of my mixing on headphones and sometimes the bass slips through a bit too much because of this. I left the whistle a bit far back on purpose. I wanted it to create the effect of buds blossoming and new growth pushing through (as in spring)  Undecided

As for the good lady singing on this ... I wish  Roll Eyes

I am trying to entice her into doing something for the Time theme.... but it ain't easy  Embarrassed

Wink
James

* bass.jpg (227.5 KB, 738x778 - viewed 523 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: