Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:01:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tascam 2488neo  (Read 5640 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: May 27, 2009, 12:43:54 AM »

Between the rather large production of Oren's recent project & the fact that I have 3 different workstations to work with & another one on the way later in the year,upgrading from an 8 track recorder to a 24 track,was the next logical step and a very critical one at that.
My process of elimination amongst the vast array of portable multi-trackers was a particularly frustrating one,replete with trade-offs of this feature for that..between one brand to another...ARGHH!I looked at everything out there...the Fostex MR16(ridiculously cheap,but too basic & too small a display screen)...the Yamaha AW 1600-3 times the price of the Fostex,24 bit recording only providing 8 tracks,a built in sampler,but the display screen is terrible on this one also and for a couple of hundred $'s more,there's the Boss BR 1600....16 tracks of 24 bit(fabulous),but again,the LCD screen is disappointing-especially so,since it's nearly the same price as the Korg D3200!
However though...the biggest seige of indecisiveness I was faced with,was choosing between the Tascam 2488neo & the Korg D3200...Now everyone here knows how big a fan I am of Korg & the D3200 offers quite a few unique features that no other portable recorder offers & clearly provides the most near-professional sound quality of them all,but there a few aspects of the Korg that I was not completely sold on.... Korg's Session Drums feature was utterly unnecessary for me & given it's deep editing functions(some of which are hidden in sub-menus),the size of the screen was just not suitable to my taste.The exceptional sound quality of the Korg justifies the price...but for my particular needs,it did not.
After some heavy research on both models,the Tascam 2488neo became the clear choice,as it sports twice the hard drive space(80GB),has the same size LCD screen and unlike the Korg,there are 24 tracks of 24 bit recording,whereas there is only 16 tracks of 24 bit with the Korg.
While the Tascam's editing functions are not quite as comprehensive as the Korg's,the Tascam's level of editing is appropriate for it's screen size(from what I've gathered)...however though,there is some nice track editing functions,such as trimming & it's displayed in a graphical waveform fashion-just like a computer,which is a wonderful feature for the price & in fact,the Tascam is $600 cheaper than the Korg!
The 2488neo has a multitude of multi-effects & mastering effects & if I understand the Tascam's user manual correctly,there are 8 insert effects for all 24 tracks & 4 multi-effect insert effects.
While I do love the Korg's 11 insert effects,of which can be allocated in any fashion...well...for $600 less,I will not miss those at all with the Tascam.
What it all boils down for me in the end,is that I do not need a very sophisticated array of effects processors in a multi-tracker,since I have plenty of effects to play with in my keyboards and what I love most about the Tascam,is the simple,vast & clearly laid out array of manual controls...which probably makes this recorder more user friendly than any other portable recorder out there(seemingly).
There will be much more to come on this recorder shortly,as I will be receiving the Tascam in a couple of days!! wOO

-Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:10:48 AM »

Thom,
That unit looks ideal for your needs, and Tascam has an excellent reputation for very functional "portable studios".
I think that of all currently available makes and models, this would be my choice. The only possible addition would be a large external USB hard-drive to conveniently store all of your work....

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »

I know the Tascam is a great product, being the third generation of this device. I'm not sure which of the two I would choose.... don't have to since I'm addicted to Sonar for multitrack recording  Wink

Good luck with your new Tascam ! I'm pretty sure you won't be idssapointed !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: