Kara-Moon Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:52:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful what you ask for...  (Read 18682 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: April 16, 2007, 05:57:03 AM »

Here's one about someone asking a friend to make changes, and the upheaval that can result.

* You've Gone and Done It.mp3 (3688.29 KB - downloaded 312 times.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:24:55 AM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:40:20 PM »

Here's one about someone asking a friend to make changes, and the upheaval that can result.

There you go again..terriffic production work and a really beautifully bizzare way of making a point that one simply cannot ignore! Soundfield is clean and large and all the stuff you can get into it never ceases to amaze me. Beautiful guitar work too.

Thanks for sharing that.

\Wyatt
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:26:05 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »

You're too kind... keep it up Grin

That is a 'strat', by the way - through my Digitech RP12.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »

You're too kind... keep it up Grin

You bet..that immortal Strat sound of yours soaring through the soundfileld like a falcon stooping..

What is it about a strat, like how could we ever do without one??

..I used to have gobs of guitars..even numbered an ES 335 among them once upon a time..now I have a beautiful Strat and that's all I need..whoa..did I actually say that??!!

reminds me..I read once aboout a fella who said if he could only one tool on a desert island it would be a battery screwdriver..well, right then and there I knew he was no kinda musician.

Wyatt

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:55:35 PM »

Soundfield is clean and large and all the stuff you can get into it never ceases to amaze me. Beautiful guitar work too

A nice one. I enjoyed this song, and I think it's different in a curious way. It has great guitar melodies and the voice make it more interesting. I don't like drums sounds (a bit too synthetic) and I think there could be more variations, but this is a well produced track. Everything sounds fine, good mix.

Cheers
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »

A what ? A 'Strat' ? Can you eat that  Grin

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 11:23:48 PM »

A what ? A 'Strat' ? Can you eat that  Grin

Haha..I think it's like strudel..very sweet, and keeps you coming back for more. Grin

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 01:44:38 AM »

A nice one. I enjoyed this song, and I think it's different in a curious way. It has great guitar melodies and the voice make it more interesting. I don't like drums sounds (a bit too synthetic) and I think there could be more variations, but this is a well produced track. Everything sounds fine, good mix.
Cheers

Yes, the drum thing, good point!
In deference to my drummer, the inimitable Trevor Brown http://www.motagator.net/bands/612/ , when I use synthetic drums I purposefully produce the track "synthetic". More beat variations would be a welcome addition to the composition, as would a live track from Trevor... Wink
Thanks for your recommendations!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 01:46:50 AM by Oren » Logged

one

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »

Hi Oren

Effin Cool!!! Love that guitar sound!

1 Smiley

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »

Effin Cool!!! Love that guitar sound!

One,

The 'Dog Day' selection of effects on my RP12 gives that nicely controlled growly bottom-end.
Sort of a "dark and evil" vibe? Roll Eyes

Thanks for listening, and taking the time to comment!

Van Greco

note to self: return to sender

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 09:50:15 PM »

I like the make up of this track as i think it's a nice creative approach to writing a song. A live drumtrack would certainly be a welcome addition. The extra nuances that a live drummer could bring would really be able to shine here as there is plenty of space left them to do so. I'm not such a huge fan of the guitar sound as it sounds really synthetic to me, but that is, of course, a matter of personal taste. I did enjoy the actually playing though. How did you record it? Direct? Mic'd?

Thanks for sharing the tune with us man. Smiley
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 09:16:03 AM »

Van Greco,

There's a little crew of programmers here in Victoria who play guitar and contributed the processing software for Digitech's RP12, and some of their other models. It's been maybe 14 years since I actually used a guitar amp - all my work is stereo 24 bits/96KHz direct to the soundcard - Creative Labs Audigy Platinum.

I'm not such a huge fan of this sound either, but I wanted something "in your face" for this song, and that 'dog day' preset got it done. Daran, a massive Englishman and co-worker at our hostel, did the vocals and is a bit of a headbanger, so the grungy over-processed sound seemed to fit.

Trevor and I are gearing up to record some material together, so you won't have to put up with the synth drums much longer. Thanks for listening, and commenting!

Van Greco

note to self: return to sender

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 09:27:48 AM »

wow, thats a long time no amp. Shocked

For the record, I didnt think the drums you have were bad per se. I just thought that it would be nicer with the live drummer because there is plenty of space for lots of subtlety and variation in the track due to it's relative sparseness. Some guys around here are really good at making sampled drums sound realistic, but I unfortunately am not one of them so i always tend to wish for human drumming. Anyway, I look forward to hearing more in the future. Smiley
Mellotronaut

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »

The song lives from the balance between the voices, the basic musical flow and the guitar-sounds. It's relaxed and defiant. Great track, fab guitars and laid-back production.

Chris
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »

Chris,

"relaxed and defiant" - woh, I like it... you must be some kind of poet! Shocked

This phrase actually describes Daran's character very accurately. I wrote the song around his voice.
On the job here at Hostelling International Victoria, he strides around  getting a lot done with very little apparent effort, bolstering morale, and striking terror in the hearts of evil-doers.

My wife, Mary Lou, contributes her voice as counter-point.

Thanks for listening,

Oren.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: