Kara-Moon Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:59:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doepfer Dark Energy review  (Read 9024 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 01, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »

I recently got myself a Doepfer Dark Energy and thought I'd let you share in my findings, as I'm very enthusiastic about this little bit of synthesizer magic!

The Dark Energy (I'll call it DE from now on) is a monophonic, 100% analog synth. The only digital bit in it is a usb interface for connecting it to a pc, but you can also input a normal midi cable. It's surprisingly small - especially when you consider the amount of knobs and switches on it. Having said that, the layout is very clear and despite the amount of controls never feels cluttered once you played a bit with it. What I like is the quality. It's built very sturdily and all the connectors and knobs and switches feel great and are connected to the outer casing so there's no wobbly pots or such.

Though the DE only has one oscillator, you can set this to either saw or triangle and you can mix to that a pulse that can be adjusted in width. The filter can be driven into self oscillation and can really add some nice filter weirdness to the sound. There are two LFO's that can be driven into nearly audio range and an ENV that can be set to snappy, medium or long which is great for pad sounds. Switches and knobs allow modulation of all the usual suspects and beyond but what is really cool is that the DE has out- and inputs for control voltages and as such is a perfect start for a modular system. Even with only the DE you can do stuff like route the CV for note velocity (that the DE generates from the midi in information) to its VCF cutoff so you get a note that gets brighter when you hit the keys harder. Or how about routing the LFO cv to the DE's ENV gate input so you get a repeating tone without any arpeggiator or step sequencers in sight?

Understanding everything that the DE can do is very complex and to be honest not something that I claim to do at the moment. However, the basics are easy to grasp and it really invites playing and tweaking because everything is there, everything has its own knob or switch. Tweaking and sound manipulation soon becomes second nature and improvising is a blast. The mp3's I'm including were done just like that, connecting the DE to my XA and improvising. There is no sequencing and layering of tracks involved, aside from some drum loops on my Fantom Xa in demo 1 and a pad sound in demo 2 which is played in conjunction with the DE, showing of the high-note priority the DE has.

Hope you all enjoy the demos and let me know if there are any questions! Smiley

* Doepfer Dark Energy Demo 1.mp3 (2795.66 KB - downloaded 581 times.)
* Doepfer Dark Energy Demo 2.mp3 (650.39 KB - downloaded 543 times.)
* Doepfer Dark Energy Demo 3.mp3 (2073.65 KB - downloaded 504 times.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:15:39 AM by Marc JX8P » Logged

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »

Thats rather impressive for a 'simple' analog synth Shocked

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:53 PM »

Very cool piece of gear,but I prefer the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho....two oscillators & a display screen and it's $162 cheaper than the Doepfer.
The absence of a USB port is a minor inconvenience-but for me personally,I prefer the control layout & a display screen is a big deal maker for me.

The sounds are nothing short of amazing;

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/mopho/

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/mopho/mopho_video_hq.php

-Thom
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:55:15 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »

Mark,

Most of the technical details you have supplied are completely beyond me, but the demos are fascinating!
In demo 1, I can hear a "bass line, snare drum, bass drum" effect... all mixed in with the trippy synth sounds.
Demo 3 three reminds me very much of Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" drum solo.
Demo 1 and 3 played together provide an interesting composition...

Outrageous

(nice use of colloquial English, dude - getting better and better  Shocked)

Oren.

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »

Thanks! The mp3's contain drums (demo 1) and the bright synth pad (demo 2) from my Fantom Xa, besides that it's all the DE. Thom, the Mopho is a fantastic synth too (the new Prophet 8 is very desirable) and I really don't want to compare them, except that what I like about the DE is how direct and un-repeatable everything is and the option of using it as the base of a modular system. Also, it has more realtime controllability. At the expense of course of being able to quickly select a sound but for that I have my Xa and my Blofeld.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:17:52 AM by Marc JX8P » Logged

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »

Very interesting Marc !
Beside that I didn't know you have a blofield, in other words we want a review of the blofield !!!  Grin
So, what about the blofield, is it realy that good ??

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »

Hi Rony, in short: yes, I'm really enjoying my Blofeld. Some amazing patches in it. However, I haven't yet gotten into it - it's a lot less immediate than the Blofeld. But I will do a review of it shortly.

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: