Kara-Moon Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:39:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 - Swallowing Nightmares  (Read 11174 times)
Van Greco

note to self: return to sender

« on: April 17, 2007, 11:14:38 PM »

Ok, so made an album last summer and noone really ever heard it. I've been thinking on a solution to that and I've just decided that I'm gonna post it up on here so that should any of you poor misguided souls wish to hear it, then you can.

The album is themed and also cronological. It's a do***ent of a relationship that I was in for about five years and as such it has ups and downs. The songs were all meant to fade into each other when burned together onto CD. Should any of you actually want it in it's entirety then write me a pm and I will send you one. If you dont care about those sorts of things then you can just listen if you like. I'll post all of the songs on the forum. There are ten in all.

This is track eight, Swallowing Nightmares. It is probably the only one that I thought could possibly go in to this section. The subject matter is a bit dark though probably not evil. This song is built around a poem written by then friend/now girlfriend. (much good came from making this group of songs  Wink  ) The attempt was to give the female perspective of the  the breakup. I thought that that would be more interesting as a concept than just another broken-hearted guy crying about lost love. I hope that you enjoy. I'll be scattering the rest around the forum in the next few days probably.

Swallowing Nightmares

I awoke and lay still, spooned
tight against his back, my face
shored between his shoulder blades
like a river gripping its banks,
palm pressed flat against
his chest, trying to pull
him into me.

My mind was quiet
with dreams that slipped away
like fog rolling down
to the caverns of the unremembered.

When his face turned,
pale and wet with fear,
I drank the bitter salt
of his nightmares, dreams
in which I grew tired
of spending forever with him
and pushed him away
with frost-bitten feet.

I didn’t know then
that soon the banks protecting
my face would soften and give way,
that the salty nightmares I swallowed
would grow in my own eyes,
swimming like fish down my cheeks
and into the flooded river.

All I knew was that moment
which wrapped itself in the spiraling
arms of the galaxy
and lives on, permanently,
remembered or not.

And now I lie in bed, spooned
tight against another back, nose pressed
against another shoulder blade,                                                   
fingers curled in the bristly hairs
of another chest, trying to pull
him into me,                                                                                   

my mind quiet
with the fear of future dreams,
nightmares curling their tails
into my waking life.

* Swallowing Nightmares.mp3 (3869.72 KB - downloaded 367 times.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 07:26:50 AM by Van Greco » Logged
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »

Out of the park!

Almost everything about this song is contrary to my normal listening preferences, but this one sets a relentless mood. Emotionally captivating. Dark, in a good way.

Is 192 Kbits per second the preferred format around here? That sounded outrageous on the AKGs!

Good one, El Greco!

Van Greco

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 09:54:55 AM »

Thats' funny. Almost everything about this song is contrary to my normal listening preferences too.  Grin 

Conceptually I thought that since it was the woman's prespective that it should be weird sounding since I find women to be fascinatingly strange. I dont understand them in the least. Plus, I was also trying to do justice to the words. The poem is called Swallowing Nightmares so I tried as best I could to make the backing sound like a nightmare.

I dont know if there is a prefered format here. I tend to encoded at variable rate with the lame mp3 encoder. Obviously the higher rate you use the closer to the wave it will sound, but then you sacrifice ease of download for some. I just try to stay below the upload limit.

Thanks for listening and the kind words. Smiley
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »

wow..you certainly did a job on that one..at first I thought it was just going to be the musical interpretation of the poem, and then the vocals hammered me.

Not my usual fare, either..but what you set out to do, you really did.

Wyatt

Van Greco

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:02:19 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to listen. The voice is that of the author reading her own poem. I did some doctoring of course.  Wink Having it be a female voice helped with the back and forth nature of telling a story from two sides. Thanks again. Smiley
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:32:45 PM »

Hi Van Greco
There are unusual elemnts in this track which I usually dislike, for example the narrating voice, and the subject, and the poem.
Even if I'm not enthusistic about this I must admit it works well, probably that's why production is well done:
Ambient voices, background sounds, and the tone of the the voice mix up well.

Quote from: Oren
That sounded outrageous on the AKGs!
is this a matter of file size ?

Cheers
Van Greco

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:43:14 PM »

Thank for taking the time to listen even if it wasnt your kind of thing Laguna. There are a couple more of these to counterbalance the rest of the album which is primarily rock music. This one is the darkest I think though. I liked the voice myself. I thought the poem worked to illustrate the girls fears about herself and why she could not make this relationship (or others) work. This is track eight of ten in a chronological storyline so it's pretty far down at this point.

Thanks again Smiley
respirator

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:58:37 PM »

In my part of the world band-with ceased to be a problem many years ago. Please upload at at least 192...

I loved the tracked but like others have problems with the spoken bit. But cool piece!
Van Greco

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »

In my part of the world band-with ceased to be a problem many years ago. Please upload at at least 192...

I loved the tracked but like others have problems with the spoken bit. But cool piece!

I generally do upload at  at least 192. The only time I do less usually is if the track is really long and I need to get under the upload size limit. Thanks for taking the time to listen. I appreciate it. Smiley
elv

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:13:58 PM »

Yes very dark, reminds me if the game Silent Hill(not the movie).
This would be a great background in a movie or a game
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 06:14:20 AM »

Quote from: Oren
That sounded outrageous on the AKGs!
is this a matter of file size ?
Cheers

Laguna Rising,

A higher Kbits/sec selection will allow more of the nuances of a fine recording to be represented after compression to MP3. Or so the story goes...

Oren.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:16:27 AM by Oren » Logged

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 02:59:03 PM »

Hi VG

I normally do not visit these dark places  Grin But stumbled upon your track here.

Nice sound collage. Very well done. The narrative voice sounds robotic and alien and adds to the atmosphere of the piece. So I have no problems with the voice as such.
one

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »

Hey VG

So this is what the inside of a chicks head sounds like...

Lips Sealed

Nice piece!

1 Smiley

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

A higher Kbits/sec selection will allow more of the nuances of a fine recording to be represented after compression to MP3. Or so the story goes...

Oren.

Oh, OK got it !
Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: