Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitars n Strings  (Read 7727 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: September 11, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »

I am so far out of my comfort zone on this one it’s like I’m on another planet!

Anyway I took some of the suggestions made in my ‘I need some new ears on this one” message and came up with this.  Hopefully it’s new AND improved.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

* Guitars n Strings.mp3 (5316.41 KB - downloaded 471 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 12:57:35 AM »

Mario,

The clarity & spaciousness of this piece-sonically is broad & rings out with authority...you did a great job with the effects. Cool
Composition-wise,the shining moments of this song,are the first 9 seconds of this song,the area between 2:07 through 2:26 in reference to the drums,bass & guitar(the entire e.guitar track is great),but the rest of the song I would suggest you scrap & start over,because there's too many problems with the lack of harmony amongst the string tracks and the bass line in the area of 2:26 through 2:55 is pretty incoherent.

The guitar in the latter part of the song doesn't fit,as there's nothing to really support it.

I'm sorry for being so brutal,but these are my honest observations and opinions,which are always meant to be constructive.
I don't know exactly how you feel about this version personally,but if you're still unhappy with it,I would love to do a collaboration with you on this,as I would really enjoy building upon the areas of this song that I think are strong,& have potential.
If you're interested in doing a collab with me on this one,I would like to emulate your orchestral compositions using my orchestral sound sets,but re-work the harmonies,without changing your string work too much.
That being said,if you could leave out the strings and the guitar at the end of the song,and just send me the drums & electric guitar tracks-that would be great(if that's alright with you).
I think this would be a fun project to tinker around with and if nothing else,perhaps my ideas might generate some ideas within you,so that you can take your song in the direction that you will be most pleased with. Undecided Smiley

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 02:40:10 AM »

...Hopefully it’s new AND improved...Constructive criticism is always welcomed...

Yup! It has more life and a distinct Mario signature. This is good.
Now, let Thom run with it, and he'll take you all the way downtown...  wOO

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »

Jeez what a song ! That IS some guitar playing.
I don't fully agree with Thom, but that's a matter of taste I guess...

What I heard
- A great intro, perhaps a tad to long, I was realy waiting to hear what woud happen, but a great sound.
- 2:07, YEAH here we go, that is some playing  wOO
- 3:25 here it goes wrong me thinks  Cry It doesn't realy fit the song to my feeling. And my internal clock gives me the impression that in some spots you are slightly behind the beat ?
- 4:50 Ecxelent again !

With some rework this could become one of the best prog-rock songs I've heard in the last years !
So, whatever you do, don't ditch it !!!

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »

I very much like the way this is going. On the downside I still think the violins sound weak, but everything else seems fine to me from a technical viewpoint.

The second guitar section Rony refers to does fit in my opinion but not in the way you lead up to it. I think there needs to be a longer and greater 'climb down' before it starts, then I think it will work.

So, not gold star yet, but definitely on the way Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 01:35:47 PM »

Thanx all for listening and the suggestions.  I am reworking this one as we speak.

Thom I will send you my tracks as soon as I finish up a couple of projects I’m working on.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 04:07:10 AM »

Ok Mario-this is good,because I'm neck deep in my work with other stuff as well,so I'll need a couple of days to complete my list on my end. Shocked Cool

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:38 AM »

OK I’ve reworked this one. 

Thom, as you correctly pointed out there were some clunker notes in there, great ears.  Sometimes I just can’t hear what I really should hear, if you know what I mean.

I added a slight touch of synth at the beginning and I eliminated the acoustic guitar part.  I just couldn’t get it to fit.

What do you guys think?

* Guitar n Strings 2.mp3 (3958.86 KB - downloaded 271 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 01:36:54 AM »

OK I’ve reworked this one. 

More excellent improvements! To my ears, you're taking this towards a "synth-strings" production, and I really like it. I've always wondered at the inclination to try to emulate an orchestra, when a synthetic ensemble can sound so much more original and interesting...
Sweet bit of work, Longhair.... wOO

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »

Thanx Oren for the kind words,

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 08:47:23 AM »

Certainly an improvement  Cool I really like this one, it sounds like very prog rock which I love.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »

Thanx Kara.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master