Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:52:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: N.I. Reason  (Read 5362 times)
impablomations

« on: September 17, 2009, 12:08:20 PM »

I'm wondering if any of you guys have Native Instruments reason?

I have a few decent VSTi's, a friends had a recording studio a couple of years ago so I bought a few of his when he went bankrupt, but I don't have quite the range of sounds I'm looking for.  The official website doesnt give much info what what I'm looking for.

Can Reason be used as a plugin in a different host?  I'm pretty used to the software I use - Presonus Studio One Pro (you can't buy it yet till october, but a very good friend works on the development team so he gave me an erm advanced "review" copy  Grin  Sony Acid kept crashing on me, and frankly its good enough to chop drum loops and thats it.

So what I would like to do, is bring Reason in as a VSTi into my host prog - is that possible, or do I have to have the full software running at same time as my host?

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »

Impablomations,

I'm not sure if you realize that N.I and  Propellerhead Reason are two entirely different platforms/companies?
Anyhow,Reason instruments are exclusive to the Reason program and even Reason Record does not accept external VST's.
You would have to run a separate audio program and import audio files from Reason,to combine them with VST's.
Apart from that,I can't really provide any more info,as I am not a PC software geek,as I merely have Reason and I had bought a Tascam hardware multi-tracker to combine Reason audio files,with that of my hardware keyboard instruments.
I have Reason for good reason,as I avoid VST hosts at all costs,as I refuse to deal with all of the inherent problems of one.

-Thom

impablomations

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »

*facepalms* Propellerhead not NI, I should have rechecked the name before posting lol

I tend to  use mostly VSTi's, never had any problems.  Plus I don't have the money for a hardware DAW.  Looks like I'll have to look for another solution as I prefer everything running through the same host.   I used to have a Yamaha AW1600 but got rid of 90% of my music gear when I gave up music for a few years.

Thanks for the info

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »

Can Reason be used as a plugin in a different host? 

So what I would like to do, is bring Reason in as a VSTi into my host prog - is that possible, or do I have to have the full software running at same time as my host?

If your host program supports ReWire technology, you can use Reason from within your host program.

I have ReWired Reason into Adobe Audition, and it works for many other host programs. It's a little bit clumsy, but do-able.

For a Reason user, Propellerhead's Record offers absolute seamless integration with Reason, as well as audio recording capabilities. That has saved me time and made my workflow more effective. I don't consider Record to be a replacement for Audition 3, however.

If you don't have Reason yet, and are interested in Record, the most inexpensive way to get them would be to start by buying someones license for Reason 3. Then you could get Record for Reason owners for  $149 USD and that would include a free upgrade to Reason 4.

For the money, I don't know of anything that comes close.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:13:23 PM »

And to give a clear to the question of the OP  Grin

NO, Reason can't be loaded as Vsti in another host.

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:29:35 PM »

And to give a clear to the question of the OP  Grin

NO, Reason can't be loaded as Vsti in another host.

Yes..thx.

Also, Record does *not* support VSTs.

impablomations

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:44:32 PM »

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I'll have to keep looking around for an alternative

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »

If you are more specific on what sounds you are after then maybe people on here can point you towards some free VST's.
My DAW is the fabulous $60 Reaper and I have a whole host (more than I can ever use) of VST's, almost all of which are freebies.
There are some fantastic things out there  wOO

Wink
James

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »

For the money, I don't know of anything that comes close.

Yes !!! I know one : FL better known as Fruity Loops: outstanding value or the money and you'll never have to pay for future upgrades.

Moon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: