Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:08:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Having trouble posting....  (Read 7070 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 17, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »

I don't know if the new server is to blame for my tech issues,but I have been having trouble posting my product reviews in the hardware section lately.
The trouble first started when I posted my Lexicon review......the night I had posted it,it did not go through,as an error message popped up and said that the connection was interrupted..........however though,the next day,my review appeared.

Last night,I made an attempt to post another product review and the same thing happened....a message popped up saying that the connection was interrupted and I just now checked to see if my new review was there and it is not.
One possible cause of this problem may be,is that the new portable field recorder I bought,has many audio quality settings and I chose to record the audio at 320kbps(MP3) and all of my files from the recorder,are in the QuickTime format.....could this cause of the problem?
If the cause is the new server,then I'm afraid that I'll have to resign from being one of the moderators in the hardware section,because I will no longer be able to post there....but this does not make any sense,as there has to be a way to resolve this problem.
Could it also be possible that my Mozilla Firefox browser is a contributing factor to this problem??

-Thom

impablomations

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »

I think Firefox could possibly be the cause but I don't think so.  As uploads seem to hang quite frequently for me when using firefox, whenever I upload to KM or Youtube, I now always us Internet Explorer - although I have never had any problems with Firefox just making a basic post with no attachments - i think this is the server maybe running older software that isnt fully compliant with Firefox.

I don't think the bitrate of your MP3 upload would make a difference, unless you are uploading to the auditorium.  As I understand it, posting a file on the forum shouldnt make a difference, the server doesnt scan your file to see what bitrate it is, only checks the extension (jpg, mp3, ogg etc) to see if it is a permitted format, you could rename any file format to MP3 and it would be accepted by the server I think.

It is possible that it is the server and not Firefox causing the problem, it likely hosts a few sites and maybe you have been accessing it at a busy time.   

Are you able to post to other forums with no problems using firefox? If you are, It would definately point the problem towards being the server.

Hopefully when the migration to the new server is complete (I believe Mr Moon posted an update saying it was delayed slightly as the host is awaiting the hardware) this problem should be gone, as it is a new server, with presumably more up to date software/hardware able to to handle more concurrent connections.

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29:08 PM »

Hmm. I do all my work with firefox. Uploads, Downloads, website mods, banking. I don't have any problems except with a couple of numpty sites that say they only work with IE6 or 7 - yes, I did say 6!!! Needless to say those companies don't get my business.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »

No probs with FireFox here.

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »

Huh
And no probs here with Firefox.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:08:54 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think it is possible that any late night posting could be a problem,as there tends to be a lot of spam traffic on this site in the wee hours of the morning.....I'll try posting again shortly.

I think perhaps my computer is the problem,because I don't receive mail notifications in a timely manner(when folks reply to my posts).Some times I get the notifications a couple of days after someone replies to one of my posts....but most of the time,I never receive the notifications at all.

I don't think anyone on this forum besides me,has Windows Vista...so of course,none of you will have the problems I'm having.
I could try my luck with the upgrade from Windows Vista-but then again,I may just be spending a couple of hundred bucks for more headaches.
Roll Eyes

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:21:23 PM »

During my most recent posting of my latest product review,I took notice of something VERY peculiar....when I was in the process of adding the audio demo file,I discovered that-despite the fact that I had recorded the audio in MP3 on my recorder,it had turned out to be a WAV file on my computer.

It was then that I had entered into the Twilight Zone............

-Thom

impablomations

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:56:54 AM »

I have Vista Thom.  The delay in your getting postings could be down to your ISP.  I dont get notifications of replies to my posts till 1-2 days afterwards. In the UK my ISP Tiscali is notoriously slow about passing on mails.  I Still think it could be the server.  My suggestion would be to wait and happens when the migration goes through.

Your computer wouldn't be at fault for you not getting post replies in your mailbox on time, that is the sole responsibility of the server KM  is held on, and your ISPs servers - its they who send the notification to your PC that you have mail waiting to download.  If you are receiving other mail OK, then your mail program is sending the right messages to your ISP's mail server to send you your mail.  I also have the same delay when receiving mails about personal messages from Second Life - a virtual world I'm involved in.

I actually completed about 90% of my training towards being a Microsoft Certified Engineer, then had to drop off the course when i had my last heart attack, I certainly don't consider myself an expert, but that would be my "almost" professional opinion, if you catch my drift.

Regarding upgrading from Vista - I'm presuming you are thinking of going to Windows 7?  The initial reports of Windows 7 do seem to point towards it being much more stable, but I would hold off untill the new year for that, give it time to have been released for a while, and any initial bugs resolved -it's normally not a good idea to adopt a new OS straight away on release unless you are a "power user" as it can cause more problems than it can solve.  Also manufacturers of hardware are notoriously slow in updating drivers.  Any drivers that have not been digitally approved by Microsoft will not install on Windows 7, so unless the manufacturer of any hardware you use with your PC has updated their drivers or previously obtained certification for their Vista drivers, there is a good chance your hardware would not work untill new drivers were release.

Anyways, hope it's a help.

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:27:41 AM »

I have Vista Thom.  The delay in your getting postings could be down to your ISP.  I Still think it could be the server.  My suggestion would be to wait and happens when the migration goes through...
Your computer wouldn't be at fault for you not getting post replies in your mailbox on time, that is the sole responsibility of the server KM  is held on, and your ISPs servers...
Regarding upgrading from Vista - I'm presuming you are thinking of going to Windows 7?  The initial reports of Windows 7 do seem to point towards it being much more stable, but I would hold off untill the new year for that, give it time to have been released for a while, and any initial bugs resolved...

What he said... Grin

With Ubuntu Linux and Firefox 3.5, everything works smoothly, other than when some little glitch attributable to the ISP or K-M server transpires.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 01:01:08 PM »

The server hasn't been upgraded yet, so on the KM server side, nothing changed.
I don't see any errors in the log either, so my feeling is that the server is still running good.

When uploading files, as earlier said, the check is done on the extension name and size: uploading mp3's or ogg-files smaller than 8MB should work. However, 8MB is the absolute maximum, larger files won't be accepted.

Also note: I believe taht the server can only check the extension name after the file has been transfered (don't blame me, this is how internet works)...

So, a good thing to do: always check the extension and filesize before trying to upload.

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 02:34:43 PM »

Just to add my 2d...
A couple of times I attempted to upload files that were a little over 8MB, and the message returned threw me totally. I can't remember what it was but it certainly wasn't 'file too big nincompoop' Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

Thanks for all of the input folks-really appreciate it,but like I had said in my previous e-mail....I had discovered that the audio file that I was trying to upload initially,had turned out to be a WAV file and that was the reason why the posting didn't go through.
The real mystery on my end,is that I had recorded the audio at 320kbps in MP3 on my recorder,so why it ended up as a WAV file,was the real issue,as it turned out and it was quite the phenomenon.

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: