Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Angry Surf: KVR November 2009  (Read 5504 times)
mrblitz000

« on: November 06, 2009, 05:11:41 AM »

I'm new to this. Is this how we do it?
Thanks

edit: Ok, that appears to work. Thanks very much for hosting the KVR contest files.

* 0911---mrblitz000---Angry-Surf.mp3 (4169.35 KB - downloaded 412 times.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:35:35 AM by mrblitz000 » Logged
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:09:05 AM »

I'm new to this. Is this how we do it?
Thanks

Plenty of high fidelity audio, presented in such a way that all the components are discreet and have their place in the mix.
Impressive... Grin

impablomations

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:47:45 AM »

Hi Mr Blitz, i LIKE it!!  I'm not sure what the KVR contest theme is, but this makes me think of Gong, Steve Hillage - and your vocal style has a touch of King Crimson, really nicely done Smiley

btw, welcome to Kara-Moon, you couldnt find a more friendlier, supportive, welcoming group of people on the net.  I've only been a member for 2 months here, and been welcomed like an old friend, and already worked on a few collaborations.

Great fun here, enjoy.

WELCOME  Embarrassed

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »

As I said 'over there'. It's good to hear once, but yes it could get irritating Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »

Welcome to the forum  Cool
And a usual good luck with the contest over there

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:18:13 PM »

Welcome to the forums.

This is a very interesting piece of music.  It sounded a little like a jam between Captain Beefheart and Zappa. The mix was very well done.

Great guitar chops. Was that you?

The older I get the better I was!
mrblitz000

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:03:04 AM »

Wow, I just checked back here. Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes, that's me on the guitar. I believe it's tuned down to 'c' in this case. It's tuned 'backwards' so all of the standard scales and chords from an actual guitar are played in mirror image.

The strings are:
c (high)
f
b-flat
e-flat
g (the only string which is tuned 'up' from the previous one, physical strings from the actual string set are switched around here as well)
c (low)

Thanks again for the listening/commentary...

edit: to add a little bit to this...

Oren, thanks for the compliment on the mix. This one will have to be investigated, to see what was done correctly; and then emulated going forward.

impablomations, thanks. You know, as for the vocals, it was the first time employing a 'pop eliminator,' and it sounded kind of like the dude from 'Pet Shop Boys' to me. It's interesting (and heartening to be honest) that it reminds you of King Crimson.

folderol, I don't know exactly what to make of it. I do love surf music (even if Jimi hated it). Admittedly, perhaps the only thing really 'surf' about this piece is the drums.

MarioD, to remind someone of Captain Beefheart/Zappa is again, heartening. I had another song, 'raven witch woman' to which another listener replied it was 'like Captain Beefheart.' Maybe it would help me to go and find some Captain Beefheart and hear what that's all about.

Anyway, thanks for your welcome -- everyone. I'll have to listen to some of the other material posted here and give back a bit of commentary.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:15:20 AM by mrblitz000 » Logged
mrblitz000

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »

'Angry Surf' has straightforward, surf-like drums imho, and the progression is based upon blues. The thing is, it's a 27-bar progression. The bassline sounds like surf music here and there, but wanders off now and again.

Here's another one; a massive guitar solo. It's also 180bpm, but sounds more like a 'surf tune.'

Kept

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: