Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 04:48:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steps  (Read 8445 times)
respirator

« on: April 24, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

A quick piece to promote the forthcoming show in Stoke-on-Trent. This is called Steps. I was sitting at a bench by a pond/lake (not sure which) in central Copenhagen (The Black Pond). Joggers was jogging (big surprise) by and I happened to be equipped to field recording. I did a lot of takes of foot steps on gravel. The birds - sea gulls esp. - sang along. A bit of work in the digital realm and this was the result. Enjoy and don't forget to comment.

Steps

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:38:18 AM »

Thomas,

I really enjoyed this track!

What was perturbing about it was that my sense of the sound of running shoes on gravel has always held connotations of happiness and the promise of better things to come. The foreboding sound effects seem to clash....perhaps by design...?

Oren.

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 09:46:06 AM »

The foreboding sound effects seem to clash....perhaps by design...?

Hi Respirator
You're a kind of master into field recording... Cool
I enjoyed this one, there's a good separation beetween the background sound and the steps, they're almost in contrast as Oren noticed.
You probably work a lot on panning the sources in the right way, and it works great

Cheers
respirator

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:46:59 AM »

What was perturbing about it was that my sense of the sound of running shoes on gravel has always held connotations of happiness and the promise of better things to come. The foreboding sound effects seem to clash....perhaps by design...?

I think the running zombies are sad and scaring. I sat on a bench by the water on a beautiful sonny day and all these people were running by, looking as in agony, lost for the world, not a single one smiling or acknowledging other people. And their rhythm is mechanical, robotic.

In contrast to the children running by, their rhythm is organic, erratic - and that sounds like happy feet to me.

I'm sounding all sentimental - that's not the case, but I have a profound distaste for mindless exercise.
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »

I sat on a bench by the water on a beautiful sonny day and all these people were running by, looking as in agony, lost for the world, not a single one smiling or acknowledging other people. And their rhythm is mechanical, robotic.

In contrast to the children running by, their rhythm is organic, erratic - and that sounds like happy feet to me.

I have a profound distaste for mindless exercise.

Thomas,

I agree. Exercise is my "hobby", and it is frequently disturbing to me how strained and unhappy most runners appear. In the gym, too - "no pain, no gain", just get it over with, count your repetitions, check your watch.

Excellent perspective,

Oren.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 12:08:04 AM »

Nice work..you really have this field recording thing down..plus whatever else you're doing with it.

What equipment are you using to record with??

Thanks and keep 'em comin!

Wyatt

one

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:20:45 AM »

Hi Res

Top stuff. Real art IMO...

1 Smiley

Northern_Fist

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 06:43:29 AM »

Good soundcrape here.  It's eerie and ominous.

The choice of noise here is also what makes it.  The use of ambience and stepping rhythm that is never the same.  I really don't know what to make of my emotional appeal towards this.

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
respirator

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:55:43 PM »

Thanks guys. Very nice comments  Grin
jura
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »

I am really impressed !

It evokes pictures in my mind.

Thanks.
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

Interesting enough compostion,but I wanted the seagull sounds to be more apparent,as I love the sound of seagulls-especially as a sound effect. Cool

Elwood

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: