Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trance o Matic  (Read 9654 times)
impablomations

« on: October 22, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »

A bit of an odd one this one. This afternoon I had a call from a very distraught and stressed musical director of the Gangshow produced by the local district Boy Scout groups.  (A gang show is a variety performance of music, songs, comedy etc), who had just recieved a letter from a very famous Musician.  It is common for Gang Shows to use music by famous people that the audience will recognise as backing tracks for dance numbers, and now due to various laws you have to seek their permission to use their music. 

This is purely a charity event, and money raised goes towards paying for trips for the children, or paying for uniforms or camping fees for those whose families are too poor to pay themselves, also money is used to go around various retirement homes to present the residents with gift baskets and put on a carol singing show for them at Christmas, and it is very rare that anyone refuses permission to use a song, since it is for charity. 

Well, this very famous Trance artist (who I will refrain from naming), had previously agreed to let his tune be used since it was for charity, but this morning the musical director received a letter from their agent saying that "Under the current economic climate, my client has decided against waiving his usual royalty fee", basically the upshot is they now want a payment of £2000 to use 1 song, once a night for three performances!!!

So this left them without a song, on the day of their last dress rehearsal, and tomorrow is the 1st live show,  My parents have been involved with Gang Shows and Scouting for over 20yrs, and gave her my number to call me, so she asked me if i could come up with a trance tune at the same bpm, with the same basic structure... but, she needed it in 2 hours!!  Shocked Shocked

This is the result.

My honest feelings about this famous trance "artist" are VERY unprintable, to say the least.  To demand £2000 from a kids charity stage show at the last minute.  then again, it doesn't really surprise me, 2 years ago Disney wanted £5000 from them so they could use a song from the Lion King!!

Rest assured I have fired off a very angry and "colourful" email to them Wink

* Trance-o-matic.mp3 (5814.61 KB - downloaded 301 times.)

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
impablomations

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »

Oh i forgot, A DVD of the show is produced and sold to to raise more funds and the  "artist" also wanted 15% of that too!

The greed astounds me!

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:05:23 PM »

Tagged for listening - soon!

I must say 'artist' is the word I'd use, but it would have a little word in front of it. Well done that man and I hope the show goes well.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32:52 PM »

"Love may be what makes the world go 'round,but greed is the axel,upon which it revolves"

-Charles Emerson Winchester

During the filming of the movie "The Blues Brothers",John Landis paid around the same amount for the rights to the songs from some of the most revered & talented blues artists that ever lived and of course,this was for a major box office profit.
This so-called "infamous" trance artist's talent is a sick joke,compared to these said blues artists.

Personally,I think it's a mistake to even do so much as a spin off of this trance artist,but since it's for a good cause,I completely understand why you did it......but I would have gone a different way,if it was still of equal benefit to the cause.

My comments are in no way related to your artistry Paul-as you did a good job on this version,but this story is very upsetting to me and I would really like to rewind time about 25 years ago,when the world was not nearly as ugly.

-Thom

impablomations

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:06:49 AM »

I'd loved to have more time and been able to work with them on a completely different tune, but they have about 25 different numbers during the show, and the musical director felt having a song with the same genre/speed/structure, length of intro, bridge in same place etc would make it easier for the kids to adapt their dance routine, since it was the last time they could rehearse and they also had to rehearse all the other numbers too.

Apparently all went well, after about 3 times going through with the new tune - the kids got it!!  Fingers crossed for them tomorrow night Wink

I've just realised I uploaded the version where I had far too much  reverb on the choir in the background, so it sounds a pretty muddy.  I wont bother to upload the correct one  though, not worth it, not as if its much good lol

I listened to the tune once, noting lengths of sections etc then wrote/recorded the tune in 1/2hr, spent 15mins mastering and another 15mins burning 3 cd's then was in my car and off!  Grin

I've learned I am getting payed for this one - she's promised me a double Laphroaig - my favourite whiskey, after the show.

Oh and guess who's now been "volunteered" to master the audio for the DVD??  Thats the thing about having parents in Scouting, you never volunteer, they volunteer YOU! lol

Thom :  that quote is so true, a sad reflection on todays world.  That is the reason I love this forum so much, no egos, no airs n graces, just like minded people contributing freely together to a passion for music, writing music for musics sake, not for their wallet.  There's hope for the human race yet  Grin

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 06:35:51 AM »

I won't say anything about that artist  Evil
You did a great job, it's perfect to do a dancing performance on it  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »

Music and money.... Roll Eyes...They just don't seem to mix very well.
Good production, Paul. Every bit as good as the song you replaced, I'm sure. Schweet! wOO

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »

First Imp. This is fantastic.  Great job, especially when considering the very short time span it took to record it. 

Second, it may not be the artist’s fault.   Although the artist said they could use his/her music he/she may not have had authority to do so.  Some contracts forbid that sort of thing as those in control (agents, recording company, etc.) may have total control over areas like this, i.e. be careful what you sign.  I know Weird Al ran into this.  The artist gave his permission and loved Weird Al’s parody but the record company banded Weird Al from using it. 

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »

Instantly fell in love with this Afro Cool wOO

I bet the kids will really go nuts over it. That other guy did us all a favour. I'd be very tempted to write and tell him so Evil

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
impablomations

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

The night went brilliantly, I was very nervous when I heard the opening notes to my tune, praying the kids would be OK and remember the changes to their dance - I needn't have worried, they performed flawlessly!!   

A 1 1/2hr show all went without a problem, full house every night.  I attended on Friday night, and afterwards in the green room, i was presented with a bottle of my favourite whiskey Laphroiag!!

This is the last year for the musical director as by the time the next gang show is upon us in 2 years time, she will have retired.  I was asked if I was interested, but had to decline, I can't read music - everything for me is by ear, have no experience in managing a group of musicians, and no experience in arranging songs for instruments - doing an arrangement at home on my synths is one thing, but to do it for a group of real musicians, who need sheet music, is way above my skill level, this post is normally more suited for someone with a more traditional musical background, apart from a few piano lessons years ago to improve my technique when i was touring I'm entirely self taught.  But, I have said I will happily be involved in anything I can help with - sound effects, writing/recording tunes/song to be used as backing from a CD.

Mario - the artist owns the record label and all rights to their music - thats why I was p***ed off.

Will - I certainly did send a strongly worded letter, most of it unprintable! lol

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »

The night went brilliantly,...

Hats off  wOO

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »

Excellent. I'm delighted it went so well, and what a send-off for the outgoing musical director too. It could so easily have been a tragedy.

Let's also hope the kids took enough away from the experience to fire their own creative imaginations.

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 04:43:54 PM »

wOO
Well done, Paul ..... in every respect ......

just out of curiosity  Shocked

had you noticed that, when listening to this ...... your little doggy avatar is nodding at the same tempo  Shocked
Was this planned, or a freak of nature  Evil

Wink
James

Northern_Fist

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »

This has more of a euro-dance flair to it, a chilled atmosphere. The hats are not frantic like most trance, and the kick drum is missing the IN-YOUR-FACE OOMPH that most modern trance has. This is not a bad thing, as musical interpretation is far more important that genre placement. I love the melody, and how it is something I'd like to whistle. The odd-saws and the gated pad were a nice touch.

I got the feeling that the background choir was too drone-like. I wish that it could have been sidechained part of the time, or replaced with a gating pad for segments of the beat. I just felt like it droned too much and had a little too much of a noise element to it in spite of the other elements (slight clash of frequencies).

I say that it is good work, especially for the time frame, but as with any work it could use some slight improvements. Keep it up!

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: