Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:26:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Questions for Moon....  (Read 2771 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:56 PM »

Moon,

Since you've been an Korg M3 owner for quite some time now,I wanted to get your intimate impressions of the M3,as I have been studying up on the board more recently since I've decided to buy one.

Karma-Lab.com has been a big help,but I thought your perspective would be especially helpful to me.
I had been going back and forth between getting the 61 key and the 73 key-mainly due to the issues with the Radias expansion module(since it only fits on the 73 key,without having to remove the main module first).

I have been told that the Radias Module is a wonderful performance tool with various sound shaping options,but that it does not integrate well into the sequencer(if at all)?
The Radias EXB MMT sound board-I have been told,has better integration and it's sound edits can be used in the sequencer(which is what I am really after)and I was hoping that you have this expansion and that you could share your experience with this expansion.
Since Korg's free expansion download,I have been leaning towards the M3 more and now have made a firm decision to purchase one and I've even put up my M50 for sale,as it would be silly for me to have both the M50 and the M3(since the M50 is a spin-off of the M3).
I've always been a little confused as to what Karma actually does and from what I've read recently,it's primarily a arpeggio function,but I wonder of it's sound shaping possibilities?

I'd really appreciate your input on this,if you care to indulge me. Cheesy

Thanks,

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »

Tom,

I have the 73 key version with Radias expansion card. The expansion card integrates perfectly in the sequencer, but has the disadvantage that it uses the M3's effect section (shared with other tracks in the setup).

As a result, some Radias presets may sound weak in a multitembral setup. However, using the track sampling option, you can overcome this issue.

About the karma-thing:

Karma is a lot more than an appregiator since it can drive any parameter meaning you can use karma to change soundscapes as you play. On top of that, Karma can generate pieces of music on the fly, the way Karma composes these pieces can be driven by changing paramters. I try to explain: a simple drum pattern can be tweaked by a knob resulting in a far more complex drum track. Mind, sometimes, you get unpredictable results.

Also, you have the ability to create your own Karma GE's, meaning, you can create about any preset you like. Combining this in a multi tembral setup and you have about anything you can imagine.

The M3 is really a groundbreaking device, but I have to warn you. It's far from a conventional instrument and you have to understand how this this is working to get the best out of it.

What I particular like about this device is the optical SPDIF in and out, which alow you to integrate computer based setups (letting you to combine VSTi's)...

As for the sound, you have the M50 so add the sampling function combined with the radias.... need I say more ?  Grin

Perhaps some words of critism: for lead sounds, I keep looking my sounds outside the M3. Here, my Virus TI comes in really good. The sound of the Virus really complements the M3, so the M3 probably won't remain or become your only synth...
Also, the way it is build: it has a great design, but somehow the device doesn't looks so solid like yamaha's or Rolands counterparts. If you use the synth in a studio, than this is not an issue. For usage on stage, I'm not sure how long the M3 will hold in comparison with others...

To sum it up: The M3 is a great instrument that I can recommend without any hesitation.  It's really a great device to use in your studio.

I hope this helps...

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »

Moon,

I think-despite the Radias board's limits with effects,it's a far better option for me,in terms of price and sequencer integration and not having to spend an extra $1,400 just to have the module is a really big plus!
Roll Eyes Grin
Since I have Propellerhead Reason 4 to compliment the M3,the M3 will be the only other synth I'll need for many years to come! Cool
Due to the M3's level of complexity,I do expect a bit of a learning curve,but since I've been a Korg owner for 22 years,I also expect to adapt to the M3 like a fish to water. Wink Smiley

Your input definately helps-thanks!

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: