Kara-Moon Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In search of a soundcard 2...  (Read 7364 times)
impablomations

« on: October 25, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »

I'm on the lookout for a new soundcard too, external USB I think due to it being easier to work with my current setup, also so I can attach it to my aging laptop for portable recording when required.  At the moment I have a Line 6 guitar port, and no mic input.  the Line 6 completely hijacks the sound pathways, so whatever DAW I use, I can only select the input from that, and not the mic input on my on board soundcard.

I'm going to be moving to Windows 7 around christmas time, so drivers could be a problem too.

I don't have much money and have absolutely no idea what is a good/bad make, I'm looking for 2 mono or 1 stereo input and 1 mic input.  Any suggestions?

[Edit]
I've created a new tread for you....
k
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:34:24 PM by kara » Logged

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »

Do you know this one : http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=4d633dd1d79f79596dc44e8a2a0da454
Looks like an affordable solution

Having said that, moving to windows 7 perhaps isn't the best idea.
Better wait for the first service pack and give manufactures the time to develop stable drivers....

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:04:34 PM »

Having said that, moving to windows 7 perhaps isn't the best idea.

Kara... don't you know... Windows 7 is in fact service pack 7 on Vista  Grin

I haven't had the chance to try Windows 7 for a DAW. At this stage howerver, I would stick to XP SP3 which is still the best Windows OS at date... untill proven otherwise...

P.S.: M-audio... very good price / quality ratio.... Should be on your shortlist !
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »

If you're looking for a modest but good soundcard, checkout this one: http://www.thomann.de/be/tc_electronic_desktop_konnekt_6.htm

This one has superb audio quality and the driver issue should have been solved.

Moon
impablomations

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »

My Parents/girlfriend/girlfriends mother/girlfriends brother & sister in law (phew) have agreed to all chip in and buy me an M-Audio Fast Track Pro for christmas!!   

Looks to be exactly what I need, 2 inputs which can either be instrument/line or mic input, phantom power (for when i can afford a decent mic), monitoring, and 2 inserts.

Now i'm on the lookout for a pair of free speakers to replace the ones I use at the moment - 2 speakers with a subwoofer - i find it hard to mix things properly with a woofer, they accent the bass too much.  I have a lovely pair of mid 80's Tannoys with great electronics but unfortunately the cones are ripped, always on the lookout for replacements for them so I can use them again.  If my application for DLA (a type of extra disability benefit) is approved, at least I'll be able to afford a pair of decent low end monitors Wink

Only downside is, Christmas day and boxing day will be with mine and GF family, will be 3 or 4 days AFTER christmas before i can try the new toys!  Cry

The wait is going to be unbearable!! lol.   3 days spent sitting with family, who are probably glued to the TV set, I hate TV, I havent owned one for over 5 years.  The 1st day on my own, trying out the Fasttrack Pro, I'm sure I won't be going to sleep till the early hours of the morning lol

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
impablomations

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 12:30:07 PM »

the M-Audio Fast Track Pro has arrived!!

My Gf very kindly let my give it a quick test (aww but darling, what if it is broken and need to be replaced? haha).

I think I am going to be a very happy man come christmas time, much less line noise than my current interface (Line 6 Guitarport), and comes with loads of goodies on disk too!

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »

Sweet! Both my music computers have M-Audio soundcards - an Audiophile 2496 and a Delta 44. Solid performers.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: