Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:03:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nebula Runner (trance) -- a 3xOSC and TS-404 kinda project  (Read 6921 times)
Northern_Fist

« on: November 20, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »

Greetings once again. I'm back with more electronica in the trance persuasion of the equation.

youTube Link to Nebula Runner

Using external samples, the only synths that I used were the ones shipped with FL Studio; namely the 3xOSC and the TS-404. Most people think those synths absolutely suck, while I think a little tweaking can go a long way. I recorded one sample where I pulled the cutoff knob on my Roland JP-8080 in a high resonance acid patch, but that got integrated into the project as a sample.

Shake those glowsticks silly! It sounds like stadium trance.

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 10:47:29 AM »

Nice nervous beat troughout the song. It keeps the tension

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:57:17 PM »

I like the periodic captions in the video highlighting instruments and supplying performance information. Smooth touch!

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »

N.F.,

I'm not that big on the a-typical trance scene(created only for the purpose of dancing),but I do like the unique,film-noir soundscape type of atmosphere and this is it!

I've never heard FL,but I don't expect starter recording platforms to have any advanced synthesis-so that being said,I admire the artists that are resourceful enough to squeeze every bit of potential out of what they've got and you've accomplished this impressively. Cool
I noticed your message in your video about you having some CPU trouble and it seems that no matter how large one's PC is,eventually it's going to falter at some point(if most of your work is done on your computer).
This is why-that when I purchased my Reason 4,I had made it a strict point,that I was to never go beyond this platform on my PC and that I would complete my recording projects on hardware & as a result,I never crashed my PC.
A lot of people(particularly hardcore soft-synth users),talk a lot of garbage about hardware synths-that they don't measure up to PC synths & never will,but I think that some folks out there have lost their objectivity & sense of creativity and they want their pristine sounds spoon-fed to them.
Some of the people that are not all that impressed with the Korg Triton Extreme in general,are the very same people asking me where some of my sounds came from in my songs & I tell them they come from the the very same keyboard.
I will say this about Reason 4 though however....Reason 4 has some of the most authentic acoustic samples I've ever heard & the most inexpensive,flexible synth program that cannot be had anywhere else,but Reason 4 is only half of my studio & I could not possibly complete my projects without my hardware gear.
The fact that your integrating your hardware with your software & achieving the results that you have been on a budget...this really impresses me & there should be a lot more of your type artists out there doing what you do.

A great job your doing...keep up the smooth stuff!

-Thom Cool
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:25:00 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

Hey N.F.

Nice job man..big sound..

..cool little saxophone too.   Cheesy

Northern_Fist

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:39:22 AM »

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen!

N.F.,

I'm not that big on the a-typical trance scene(created only for the purpose of dancing),but I do like the unique,film-noir soundscape type of atmosphere and this is it!

I'm kind of picky about trance myself, I generally feel the same way you do unless it's progressive from the pre-ASOT years. Some of those years really pushed the boundaries of some of the classic analog and VA synths that we all know and love. Of course, the same can be said of many genres of EDM, but trance has a nostalgia value for me personally. Thanks for the encouragement.

At one time, I was mostly certain that hardware gear has a superior sound to software synths. However, certain soft-synths such as certain Reaktor ensembles, Sylenth1, V-Station, etc. have me convinced of the following:

1. For the most part, most synthesizers have a few distinguishing characteristics that set them apart from others. This could be aspects of the filter resonance (is it liquid, metallic, overly dynamic, thick?), the purity of the oscillator types (are they more prone to phase like analog gear or not?), you get the idea.

2. Hardware "in general" a sharper tone due to poor recording equipment -- ie, the soundcard's ground noise for the inputs introduces a false colorization, even if this is faint or flat-out inaudible. Sometimes, this is also the fault of older equipment itself -- for instance, the original Yamaha DX-7's converters were a lower bit-rate than the DX-7 Mark 2 or the TX81Z. For some, they enjoyed the lower bit-rate more-so, because of the sharpness of tone. If I'm correct, the bit rate was upped from 12-bit to 16-bit rate converters.

3. Hardware has more invested into it, so patches are generally in better hands for programming. However, this also depends on the style of music you are trying to investing time and talents therein. Trance has had a monopoly in many soft-synth circles as of late (for instance, the Vanguard -- perfectly suited for any genre, but has the initial presets set to trance enthusiasts).

4. Hardware was also better groomed in a time when musicians generally devoted more time and talent into their work. Because of the saturated market,

5. Older hardware (such as the pre-MIDI era) has better phasing in the oscillators due to the sound shaping sources being purely electrical. Software has tried to copy this mechanism, but they can never quite mimic it to perfection. This has also carried over into the VAs as well, but not as strongly as the pre-MIDI era.

6. My Roland JP-8080 sounds 100% better than the Superwave P8.

7. Hardware is expensive.

8. A lot of the joy in discovering old hardware is pure nostalgia instead of quality of sound. If you refer to point #1, software synthesizers have almost caught up to hardware in terms of quality of sound. However, because of how the smallest details can't me mimicked to perfection, the software instrument will inevitably sound different. Therefore, it is better to treat software synths as different instruments, not necessarily inferior -- depending on your purposes.

9. I'd have a difficult time trying to copy the Board of Canada. They use a lot of old analog equipment to process their soundscapes. Vintage sounds are best captured with vintage gear. This follows point #8.

10. Software is quicker to program and store patches intuitively.

11. Hardware is more fun to program because of tactile response between the knobs and sliders. MIDI controllers can go a long way, but there is something to be said about the relationship between man and musical-machine.

12. Software is only getting better. The trend is only decreasing the gap week by week.

Score:

Hardware: 4

Software: 3

The truth is that I cannot afford to own hardware equipment that I fancy. Therefore, I enjoy the world that I am forced to subscribe to and I embrace it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:41:34 AM by Northern_Fist » Logged

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »

I like the periodic captions in the video highlighting instruments and supplying performance information. Smooth touch!

+1

I’m not a trance fan but I thought this was very good because of the outstanding soft-synth work.  The only thing missing is a large Sci-Fi space battle scene. 

The older I get the better I was!
UMEU

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »

Powerful beat (love the bass sound)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: