Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:33:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are my scanned photos...  (Read 11853 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: December 27, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »

I know most people here do not have Windows,but once again-I am incredibly desperate to resolve another computer issue I'm having.
About a month ago,I had bought an HP printer/copier/scanner....it prints fine,copies fine,BUT WHENEVER I SCAN ONE OF MY PHOTOS,ADOBE STEPS IN AND TURNS ALL OF MY PHOTOS INTO F**KING PDF FILES....GODD*MNIT...WHY!???
What the f**k am I going to do with a PDF file??!All I want to do,is to upload my personal photos to my MySpace album...but I can't do a Goddamn thing with a PDF file...what possible f**king purpose could a PDF file do me?!
I suppose that in order to convert my photo-back into a photo(rather than a PDF file),I'm going to have to upgrade to THIER service to get it done???
I have to pay out of MY OWN POCKET,just to upload MY OWN PHOTOS??!
I even went as far as uninstalling Adobe from my computer,BUT IT'S STILL F**KING HAPPENING!

I even tried using AlZip,but that was f**king useless & to top it all off,AlZip interupted my progress by offering me a "free" upgrade AND NOW ALZIP IS TRYING TO CHARGE ME TO USE THEIR PROGRAM....WHAT THE FLYING F**KING HELL IS GOING ON HERE...JESUS F**KING CHRIST!!

If anyone can help-please do,before I have a nervous breakdown!

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:02 PM »

Shocked
Calm down, young man ......

This has to be a problem with options in your scanner software.
You need to go in to 'Options' or 'Preferences' , or whatever it is called within the scanner program and see what the default setting is for saving scans.

Failing that ... get to HP website and look at their support pages.
It has to be something simple, in my opinion.  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:13:19 AM »

Clicked on the hardware preferences..specifically the printer preferences and there is only print preferences as to how you want your documents printed out,so that's useless.
I then checked under the scanner preferences and the only options I have,are "Refresh,"Add Device" and "Scan Profiles".
The Hewlet Packard website was useless,as I went tthrough all of their troublshooting questions & it did not address my problem.
There is however,instructions on how to turn your scans into PDF files and so I 'm wondering why there is instructions on something that is already in place by default?

I'm no farther than I was,but I appreciate your input James.

Thanks,

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:53:01 AM »

It has to be something simple, in my opinion.  Roll Eyes
Thom,

This is a frequent issue with proprietary software, but there is always a way around it.

First step in taking control of your files is to change the stuff to the right of the " . " to suit your requirements. For photos, if it don't read ".jpg", then just nuke what's there and type in the jpg, leaving the stuff to the left of the " . " intact (unless you want to change the name of the file, too).

...has this post been helpful?... Cheesy... Kiss

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:43:07 AM »

Oren,

I've had a couple of other printers/scanners in my time,but this is the first time I've encountered an issue such as this.
Since my photos are converted into PDF files the instant they are scanned & there's no noticeable way to change this action-I am at a total loss,in terms of conceptualizing what's taking place.
That being said,I don't understand your approach to this problem.
I've been trying to get a hold of my brother-as he may have a solution for me,but I've been unable to reach him...so I guess I'll have to wait on him.
In the past,scanning photos has always been as easy as picking up a phone & placing a call,but now,it's one excruciating headache!
Angry

Thank you though,

-Thom

NeoN

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »

Hey man,

If I have understood right, your photos are opened with the wrong program.
Although you may already have tried the following procedure, I'll write it here/
Go to a pdf photo file of yours, right click on it and then open with and then select program .
Select a picture viewing program and then make sure that you check the box that says that it will always open this kind of files with the program you selected.
Sorry if I confused you but I don't have English windows  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:49:31 PM by NeoN » Logged
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:01:04 PM »

As it were,the initial thing that had me flustered & enraged,was that the first scans I had ever done,were in a TIF file-but ever since then and just before now,my scans were automatically uploaded as PDF files,so I had assumed that an Adobe software upgrade was being aggressive & taking over my settings.
Since it is a common practice for software companies to fight for control over who's going to be the default operator and since my PC is cluttered with all of these types of crap,I was convinced that this was the problem.
Then when I looked to the HP website for a solution & did not find one,I was on the verge of returning my printer to the store.
I now discovered that the solution was within the HP solution center that came with my printer and everything's fine now,but as to why my default setting had changed from TIF to PDF is still a mystery.
Huh
Computers never fail to overwhelm me...& I suppose that they will continue to do so...that being said,I am not looking forward to Windows 7(if I ever decide to upgrade).

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »

Thanks for stepping in to help Neon,but I just recently got a handle on things-thanks!

-Thom

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:57:48 PM »

Actually Thom,  you may find that win7 is just what you need.

before any changes are made to system settings like this it will ask if it is what you want to do. No more software just changing crap everytime they phone home for an update
heck it even asks if you want to be letting the mprogram phone home now and in the future
I don't know how many auto update programs I have removedfrom DAWs for people who were having problems, but they always seem to be somehow involved.

It may save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Also handles a lot of other problems for you behind the scenes.

I personally think its the best OS so far from that company.. and I was always very reluctant to leave 98SE  or XP ...
win7 rocks!

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »

Bob,

I am very relieved to know that Windows 7 is not only a stable program,but also a very useful one....however though,last time I checked,it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 & I'll never hand over that kind of green to Microsoft...not in this lifetime.

Thanks for the recommendation,but unless the price is cut down dramatically at some point,I won't be adding it to my computer.

-Thom

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »

I'm going to hang onto XP, until people start calling it a "classic" OS.

Rule # 3:

Once it's working, leave it alone.    Cheesy

..just my .oo5

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:44:47 PM »

I'm going to hang onto XP, until people start calling it a "classic" OS.

Rule # 3:

Once it's working, leave it alone.    Cheesy

..just my .oo5
Very true:
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 02:33:21 PM »

The $200 price of Win7 is insignificant if you buy a $400 computer with it pre-installed!

I still use XP on my main DAW but this duocore can run things pretty well too, and the 4 gigs of RAM lets me open lots of stuff at once without even blinking.  Starting to really like it now

Just sayin

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »

The $200 price of Win7 is insignificant if you buy a $400 computer with it pre-installed!

I still use XP on my main DAW but this duocore can run things pretty well too, and the 4 gigs of RAM lets me open lots of stuff at once without even blinking.  Starting to really like it now

Just sayin
Is this the new laptop?
Did you go for a 7200rpm HD? ...and what are you using for a soundcard...?

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »

Yep, new laptop
Still looking at soundcard options.

Wonder when they'll start using the HDMI port for sound??  Seems an obvious choice, lots of hi-speed wires available!
HDMI sure does make the display nice on the 32" monitor!!  Gotta be accurate with those audio edits ya know..
I still think about that soundcard for the network port that Kara pointed out too! That would be cool.

Back to the soundcard.  I'll likely get a USB external M-Audio or such.  I plan to keep the main DAW (XP) set up with the two delta1010lt's in it and the Creative card for quick soundfonts (for click tracks and such, plus its a second midi port).
That machine is so stable it isn't funny, and pretty quick to boot.
Never been used for anything but a DAW and video editing .. never seen the internet, etc., so the registry is pretty clean.  Boots up in less than a minute, ready for multitracking.
So it is 'safe' for the time being.  Smiley  Won't be using it for parts anytime soon.

I just want decent audio capabilities for the laptop, even stereo in/out will be fine.  I can use it for editing, mastering, generating realtracks, etc.  just won't be doing any multitracking with it, at least that is not the plan at this point.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: