Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:18:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurzweil PC3K Update...  (Read 7441 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 27, 2010, 05:37:51 AM »

Although the upcoming PC3K is quite an extraordinary powerhouse of a keyboard-with more to offer than anything that has preceded it,I still have a huge issue with the size of the screen......considering that the street price will be nearly $4,000(MSRP is $4,100). Embarrassed
What's especially surprising to me,is that since Kurzweil has out-sourced production to Korea,why such a fat price tag?
If Kurzweil was pragmatic enough to add a VGA output,so that the user could hook up a monitor directly to the keyboard,then I would happily pay what they're asking!

In some ways,Kurzweil can be so dissapointing and frustrating. Angry Undecided

I suppose though-that if I were starting from scratch,the PC3K would be a reasonable choice.....but being that I have 3 workstations as it is,I may just stick with the idea of adding a PC3LE6 to my studio...sometime in the distant future.
The PC3K is slated to be released sometime between April & May of this year,but the PC3LE6 was showcased over a year ago at last year's Namm show and it has yet to be available for purchase.
Roll Eyes

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=12509

-Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:22:40 AM »

Well, their demo video has me really impressed Shocked. It doesn't hurt that the guy knows the machine inside/out, and can actually play!

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

Impressive machine Smiley
Very impressive demonstrater Cool
F***ing impressive price Angry

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »

Yep....Kurzweil needs someone who is knowledgeable & proficient on the keys,to effectively push that kind of price tag.
Be rest assured though,that given their limited advertising & distribution-not to mention the competition,the street price should go down considerably after about a year or so...in order to invigorate the sales of this model.
In addition to this,Kurzweil's headquarters is in Korea,manufacturing is in China & their  U.S. sales is based out of Los Angeles,CA.
That being said,Kurzweil will probably be in trouble eventually,if they do not drop the price to a more reasonable level.

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »

Don't get your hopes to high: the price tag is also considered to be the reflection of the quality of the device. I don't know Kurzweil marketing strategy, but it could be they target the more fortunate musicians with a royal budget...  Sad
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:00:15 PM »

Moon,

As far as the overall sound quality-including the sound engine,all the models in the PC3 series are equal.
What separates them all,is the polyphony,amount of layering possibilities,amount of insert effects and how deep the editing is.
The only main differences between the X-series and the K-series,,is the retro compatibility and the sampling capability of the K-series.
All of the LCD screens are monochromatic and all roughly the same size...so unless one plans to specifically buy the PC3K to hook up to the sound editor via a PC,there's little point in buying one(as far as I'm concerned).
It seems very clear to me,that Kurzweil's marketing strategy is directed towards the computer based musician and it's their way of having to invest less in an on-board screen of a minimal size-as after all,the PC3 series is marketed as a "keyboard controller" in their website product pages,rather than a "workstation".
All this being said,I think the PC3LE6 is the best way to get the Kurzweil sound-because not only is it much simpler to use & learn,but it's dramatically cheaper than anything else in the PC3 line of keyboards.

-Thom
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:03:23 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: