Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mic recommendation?  (Read 9079 times)
too_late_prod

« on: October 06, 2008, 10:36:21 PM »

First real post, and since there is no love in the mic section.. I will start it up! 

So ya.. looking to record some vocals and acoustics in a couple of weeks, the mic I have been using as a Shure KSM 27. Its a nice mic but really picks up everything, I mean you can hear the fruit flies farting in the other room. Damm! I have been happy with it for a bit now but would like to step it up a bit. Any suggestions on a good acoustic / vocal mic for recording, in say around the $500-600 range?

Was thinking of going with AKG or Sennheiser.. just curious of any users thoughts?!

Thanks!

too_late
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:31:34 AM »

T.L.P.,

I've dabbled in vocals here & there over the years,but mostly I've done instrumental music,so my experience with mics is scarce.

I have a AKG Perception 100(my first real mic) & I love it,but due to my limited experience,I've been having a similar problem with picking up backround noise,but that has mostly to do with turning up the gain too much,in the attempt to achieve the level of volume I want.
I also have distortion issues and when I have the mic at a moderate level to avoid room resonances,my voice is overpowered by my instrument tracks.

I suppose that you could spend more money & choose a microphone that has multiple pick up patterns & such,but as for myself,I resolved to construct a vocal booth in my studio(about the size of a telephone booth),in order to achieve the desired results I'm looking for.
If you have not thought about this option already,you may want to consider this method,as anyone who records in a studio enviroment-regardless of what microphone one uses,could benefit greatly by creating an isolated area for vocals....I have yet to actually build my vocal booth,but I'll let you know about the results when I do. Wink
In the interim,I'm sure you'll do well in finding someone else on this forum that will guide you in the right direction with mics,as everyone here is terribly kind in being helpful. Cheesy

-Thom(aka Elwood)

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:44:12 PM »

I have been happy with it for a bit now but would like to step it up a bit. Any suggestions on a good acoustic / vocal mic for recording, in say around the $500-600 range?
Was thinking of going with AKG or Sennheiser.. just curious of any users thoughts?!

Step up?
I'm still plugging away with my old SM57 and 58... Embarrassed Given this, the KSM-9 supercardioid looks like a good bet.

Check with Thom, but I think they may be available with an optional phone booth... Cheesy

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »

Lots of mics to choose from in that range- Rode, Sterling, AKG, AT, what does your voice sound like?
What's the mic running through?
"An average mic thru a great preamp will outperform a great mic thru an average preamp."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 10:49:11 AM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
kuguar

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »

Somewhere I have got such recomendations:
1.Dinamic mics are good
2.Carddiod the best.
Beta 54 Super carddiod headset mic was recomended . Beta 54 Headworn Microphone gives full,clear and natural vocal sound. WBH 54 is the same in wireless version (USA)
Kuguar
------------------------------
www.freewebs.com/olegs
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

1.Dinamic mics are good
2.Carddiod the best.
Beta 54 Super carddiod headset mic was recomended . Beta 54 Headworn Microphone gives full,clear and natural vocal sound. WBH 54 is the same in wireless version (USA)

Kuguar,

Microphone choice is a very personal thing, depending on your taste in sound, what you intend to use it for, and the technique you use when performing/recording. I assume you want a microphone to record your voice.

First of all, I have to say that I like the sound of your vocal recordings. The microphone you are using now may be all you need.

A good general approach is to purchase a quality microphone from any reputable manufacturer, and then learn how to use it to get the sound you want. Almost any good quality microphone will give you excellent results, once you have experimented with it and found how it responds in various situations.

If you were to buy a solid, all-purpose, hand-held, dynamic, cardioid microphone from a quality manufacturer, that would be excellent. The Shure SM57 is an example - a very old design, strong, reliable, inexpensive.

The only problem with a headset microphone is that they are not as strongly built as a hand-held type, and would tend to break easily. Plus, they are not good for recording instruments, or a group of musicians, if you ever wanted to.

I hope this helps,

Oren.

kuguar

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »

Hi Oren,
I did not want to change my Mics.I even don't know the names of them,Oh no !One's type is AH-59
Kuguar
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:17 AM »

I did not want to change my Mics.I even don't know the names of them,Oh no !One's type is AH-59

It sounds good... keep it, and use it! Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: