Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:19:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: (re)work in progress  (Read 12760 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »

Lips Sealed
This is a 'very rough' mix of what I hear in my head.

From first hearing this piece I have been inspired by memories of past legendary performers. In the late 60's and early 70's there were Bert Jansch and John Renbourn who, together, would take works in this sort of compositional style and transpose them to a combination of ancient and modern instruments. In slightly more recent times we have had Marc Knopfler with his fabulous use of electric guitar overlaying the acoustic instrumentation.

These are the styles I am trying to invoke in this interpretation.  Undecided
I admit there is still some way to go.  Embarrassed

I have taken the 'lead instrument' line and put it through StringZ, on the Northumbrian Pipes preset in the first instance, and in the second have doubled it with KongAudio's NanXiao whistle sound. I have then tried to overlay the electric (thru GreenMachine) and acoustic guitars.

Maybe I'll do better at the next attempt.  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

* OTWmix1.ogg (4348.99 KB - downloaded 302 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »

Well, I very much like what you're aiming at there. Having slow attack 'choirs' to work from does make it very hard to synchronise your playing (and of course you're fighting unfamiliarity) so I wonder if a click track would help at all.

The guitars blend in very well, and add to the relaxed laid-back atmosphere.

Originally I wanted a bagpipe sound for the lead, so it's interesting that you've gone in that sort of direction. I gave up because I couldn't find the right sound so went for something completely different Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

Will,  I'm glad you could see what I was aiming for. I was a bit wary of your opinion.  Embarrassed
There is still much to do yet to get it right.  Undecided

I did start off with a click track and recorded to that without the rest of the music ... but things went way off, somehow.  Lips Sealed
I then found it to be more in keeping to actually play 'along with' things. This seems to produce a more organic sound.
The Northumbrian pipes sound is a one which I have been admiring for some time now but don't often get the opportunity to give it an airing.

I intend to keep on with this project for a little longer. I still think that a short bridge leading back to the main theme may give a little more scope and an extra dimension.

Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »

I still think that a short bridge leading back to the main theme may give a little more scope and an extra dimension.

Wink
James
I'm quite happy with this idea, but the problem I have is that I'm so thoroughly familiar with this tune that it is difficult to think of what to fit in. I wonder if you'd like to invent a guitar based bridge? I could then split and re-record the rest to fit and fill.

Yes, I know that sounds rather like a cop-out Tongue

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 08:53:45 PM »

OK
I'll see what I can come up with .... as it is your piece I didn't want to 'jump in'.  Undecided

Couple of days  Kiss

Wink
James

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: