Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:10:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoom R24  (Read 6035 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 08, 2010, 04:50:03 AM »

With regard to Samson Technologies,there Samson end of things leaves a lot to be desired in more serious applications,particularly with their studio monitors,but I've always been impressed with their Zoom line of products.
As a matter of fact,Zoom products are only getting better-as not only are their gadgets innovative,but of exceptional quality at a very fair price and with the upcoming R24 24 track recorder,it's their most impressive product to date,I think.

The R-series of Zoom recorders are an update to Zoom's hard drive-based recorders and while the built in storage was eliminated(which some might find distressing)-is actually a good thing...a very good thing,as this not only negates the possibility of running into corrupt data issues,but makes room for a bevy of other useful features,while keeping the price v-e-r-y budget-friendly!
Cool

Unlike anything else Zoom has released in the past,the R24 now has 24 tracks of 24 bit recording at a rate of up to 48kHz!

This is just a tiny tip of the iceberg though,as the R24 is also a sampler,a DAW controller & an audio interface.As you might have guessed however,the R-series of recorders do not have a built in CD burner-but really,such a feature is a bit silly in a studio & just unnecessarily adds to the price tag and in my studio,such a feature often goes unused altogether.

What I find particularly exciting & useful about the R24,is not only the increased recording quality,but the R24's built in effects and 8 inputs,which for me,would give me the ability to condense my crammed studio down a bit,but affording me the option to eliminate my external effects processor & mixer...which will not only minimize the signal path,but also save much needed space and electrical draw from my outlets.
The R24 gives you the option of utilizing 32GB of memory,via a SD-HC card....along with thumb drive support!

Being a previous Zoom 8HD owner,I was always impressed by how clean the gain was with their mic/line inputs...something of which Tascam failed miserably at.
Sad

That being said,the Tascam wasn't the best purchase I had ever made-but at that point in time,it was the only economically viable solution.....which makes me very sad that the R24 had not been available back then,because it would have saved me quite a bit of cash.

Unlike my Tascam 2488neo,the Zoom R24 has everything I need & nothing I don't and they have achieved this for a mere $499 and as far as I can tell at this point,the Zoom R24 seems to be very comparable to the Korg D3200 in terms of audio fidelity..regarding bit rates & sample rates.
The R24 would certainly be ideally suited for my needs,as I simply want a means of converting all of the work I do on my Korg M3 into WAV files cleanly to my PC,without having to uproot my Korg M3 & then plugging it into my audio interface.

There's a lot more to this recorder..including built in condenser mics,but I'll allow the video link to outline the rest of the R24's goodies!

-Thom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4thKVux7Sq0&feature=related

* R24_top.jpg (641.88 KB, 1500x965 - viewed 841 times.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:52:53 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: